Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kifaru Ultralight Packs!!

Default Kifaru Ultralight Packs!!

Sorry about the ALL CAPS intro but for those of you who have been snooping around the web and watching this unfold... well the new site is launched and the gear is available to purchase... well you can purchase it but will have to wait for a couple months for delivery.
    check it out!

https://kifaru.net/KU.html

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Sorry about the ALL CAPS intro but for those of you who have been snooping around the web and watching this unfold... well the new site is launched and the gear is available to purchase... well you can purchase it but will have to wait for a couple months for delivery.
    check it out!

https://kifaru.net/KU.html
    guess you should review that thread on navagating the forum you started...( this part wasn't in it though)

you cant put all caps in a title the server wont let you... sure you can try... but it will lower case them on the enter..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

My old Dana Loadmaster got the gold watch this year so I've been pack shopping. Those look interesting, but I only buy packs after AK_Lanche has had a chance to try them out.

I bet he called in his order before the website was even up. Until the testing report comes back, I guess I'll keep saving for that old school Barney's.

Yk

I've been watching their site and checking out the new packs. I really like my Kifaru G2 Longhunter Guide pack and I might give one of these a try. My empty pack is around 8 lbs, they have a 5200ci that weighs under 3lbs. I sent them an email to see if they will sell me just the bag.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

There is a big thread on another forum somewhere that a well known geardo here pointed me to a while back. I don't see this as being a replacement for a super rugged load hauler like a barneys pack or a my Dan McHale. I do see it as being a extremely well suited long range packrafting pack and a great ultralight pack in general that is easily capable of hauling out a bear or a deer. I do think it would be well suited for a sheep hunt and if I was going to do 1 or 2 sheep hunts I would probably jump on it. I just don't know that I would expect to get 15+ seasons of heavy hauling out of it like I expect to get out of a Mystery Ranch, Barneys, McHale etc. Still a very cool looking pack and I may outfit the wife in one. She will rarely carry over 40lbs so cutting 5lbs from her pack means that is 5 lbs more gear that she can carry. Best of all 5 more pounds of gear in her pack means 5 less in mine!!!

I went ahead and ordered the KU5200. I always wear a pack and this will be a nice light one. I agree that my Kifaru is no Barneys, but then again I can't even lift the weight a Barneys would carry. My Kifaru is great to wear when you are slipping in and out of the alders. I hope to have a sheep sticking out of this one next fall.

Merry Xmas to me, Merry Xmas to me.

Steve
    Founding Member

Here is a link to a review of the KUs.

http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforum...ages=1&forum=5

Steve
    Founding Member

Well Stid2677 meets my qualifications for a pack tester also. Go beat the live'n daylights out of it for us. I'm sure there will be more than a couple of those in the sheep hills this year.

Since I have a hard time finding hunting partners willing to do the backpack thing, I often go solo and need to shave every oz I can. Even if I don't get this pack, I like the direction that pack design is taking.

Unless something unexpected shows up under my christmas tree, I've got a few more months to squirrel away money and think about it.

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    Well Stid2677 meets my qualifications for a pack tester also. Go beat the live'n daylights out of it for us. I'm sure there will be more than a couple of those in the sheep hills this year.

Since I have a hard time finding hunting partners willing to do the backpack thing, I often go solo and need to shave every oz I can. Even if I don't get this pack, I like the direction that pack design is taking.

Unless something unexpected shows up under my christmas tree, I've got a few more months to squirrel away money and think about it.

Yk
    Don't wait too long, they say 12 weeks to make. Need a little time to train with it. I have a (no new gear on hunts rule), don't like surprises when I'm out.

Steve
    Founding Member

Ha! I also have a no new gear on hunts rule. However, any of the "good" sheep packs are also expensive, and I have a family to feed and raise. My "pack fund" is only about half there at this point, so it's going to have to wait. I buy good gear, but I have to buy it one piece at a time.

In a perfect world I would stick with my old pack another year, but the harness is shot so that isn't an option.

Yk

I will buy brand new gear and take it out as long as Alaska_Lanche has already put 75 days in the field using the same item over the summer. If he can't destroy it in 3 months then it should last the 3 weeks with me.

I think Luke may have his eye on a couple of these. Gota buy Becca one too....

Steve
    Founding Member

yeah, I am waiting for his report. My wife is sensitive to shoulder straps and so far the only pack she has really liked is Gregory. I have high hopes for the Kifaru but definitely can't buy one for her until she tries it out first.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    yeah, I am waiting for his report. My wife is sensitive to shoulder straps and so far the only pack she has really liked is Gregory. I have high hopes for the Kifaru but definitely can't buy one for her until she tries it out first.
    That is the majic of the Kifaru packs, they carry almost all the weight on the hips not the shoulders.

Steve
    Founding Member

Not to deflate Kifaru,but My wife might be receiving a KUIU pack this spring.Great to finanlly see some UL packs that can handle some weight!

Yep I gotta get on the phone with Kifaru. Likely order just one this year, but have it sent with both 24 and 26" stays that I can swap out depending on if Becca or I am using it. If we both end up liking it we will pick up another the following year. Regardless looks like an interesting proposition. But hunting in the alders and devils clubs of AK is TOTALLY different than the uplands and what not of the rockies. Even on of the testers I talked to on the phone last week admitted that repeated use in the shale he would opt'd for my NICE 6500 of the Kifaru UL so that gives me a bit of apprehension right there. Everything is a trade off in weight, don't like throwing good money after bad, but these do show some promise. Just need to get one on order and use it extensively this coming summer. I guess Stid and I are the Guinea Pigs huh?

Quote Originally Posted by coues32 View Post
    Not to deflate Kifaru,but My wife might be receiving a KUIU pack this spring.Great to finanlly see some UL packs that can handle some weight!
    Kuiu is a new company, the guys that Started Sitka gear sold out to Gore and are starting a new clothing line and a line of packs. I checked them out, I would be cautious of their packs. Carbon fiber has a lot of flex and has been used and refused as a pack frame in the past. I will keep an open mind, but my Kifaru stuff is top shelf gear.

Steve
    Founding Member

I looked over the pics on the Kuiu site. Honest assessment with no "hands on" just looking at the pics is that it won't be "ultralight" there is a lot of extra on that pack. The panel loader design etc. It just doesn't fit the minimalist genre. That material it appears to be made out of also not something that I think of when I think ultralight. I also agree with Stid on the carbon fiber front. CF is not the voodoo high dollar item it once was which means that lots of pack makers would be using it IF it were all that. BUT this is just observation and I hope that their gear surpasses my expectations! More options can't be a bad thing.

5200 to 5500 cubic inches for the largest of these two new ultralights! Boy......that's a little tight for a ten day hunt with pack full of ram coming out. More scratching my head trying to figure out how to downsize even more. I guess that is part of the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by 454casull View Post
    5200 to 5500 cubic inches for the largest of these two new ultralights! Boy......that's a little tight for a ten day hunt with pack full of ram coming out. More scratching my head trying to figure out how to downsize even more. I guess that is part of the fun.
    I added the E&E bag to mine, It goes on the back and I will use that for the items I need quick access to.

My entire camp and a sheep days are over, so this should be a great pack for what I'm pysicaly able to carry.

Here is a link to the setup I will be using.

http://kifaru.net/KUEE.html

Steve
    Founding Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast