Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are these Rams Legal???

Default Are these Rams Legal???

Need some advise from those in the know. Had a friend send me this photo that he took on his first sheep hunt. The photo shows 2 rams bedded down. IMHO the ram on the right is a double broomer and legal, the ram on the left is broomed on his right side and would appear from the frontal look to be over full curl. I of course would want a better look to pull the trigger, but based on this photo I would be highly motivated to get closer. Okay guys and gals lets do some sheep judging on a cold day.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I agree with what you are saying about the one on the right and the one on the left. HoweverI would never take the shot until they turn there head to hard to tell from the pic.

They would be worth a closer look for sure.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

No. Not legal with only this limited view.
    And I can not see that any hornes are broomed or broken.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    No. Not legal with only this limited view.
    Comon Mr Dennis, help us get better. What are we missing???

Steve
    Founding Member

The ram on the right does appear to have more mass, which does not make it legal..................
    Hard to tell from one photo.................? If I was sitting there watching them I would hope see a profile view at some point.................... or I would have to get into a posistion where I could confirm.

Based on this one image, I would not squeeze the trigger, but I would suspect the one on the right is a legal sheep.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I'd get closer to the one on the right and count annuli. I wouldn't be so concerned about the one on the left but he'd get a count too just for fun. Ah, the joys of sheep hunting. Hopefully those are on the same mountain as the hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Comon Mr Dennis, help us get better. What are we missing???

Steve

Dang it Steve.........now yer teasing us........LOL......The one on the left has more scalp between the horns, that I can see..............
    TR

I just cant see that either horn of eith ram is broomed or broken. And the ram on OUR LEFT, is not full curl.

Prior to the requirement to seal rams, those sub-legal rams could often be found in taxidermy shops, and nobody (that I'm aware of) ever got cited. But, still, the horn tips simply do not come up high enough to be full curl. When i see rams like those, I'm looking for their older brother nearby.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

The one on the left isn't broomed at all. The one on the right doesn't appear to be broomed, but also doesn't appear to be even close to legal. I would be tempted to study the one on the left a little more, especially get a view from the side but I would clearly pass on the right one.
    Last edited by Frostbitten; 12-15-2010 at 14:27. Reason: typo

Here is a zoomed in copy. I must need to clean my glasses, the ram on the left, just looks broke off on the left side. I can't see the tip on the left horn.

Founding Member

I agree on the less than full curl assesment but the mass characteristics of those bases on the Rt. ram warrant a closer look. He may be countable to 8. I wouldn't go roaring across a valley after it but on the same mountain he'd get a look over. Thats what I'm seeing.

The one one the right has to have both horns broomed........................as big as the headgear is, if they were not broomed the tips would be visible.....................still I would not take the shot based on this pic...........
    Come on, Steve, I hope you know the answer.............
    TR

It's hard to tell from this angle but I'm betting the one on our right is a double broomer- no flaired out tips and he certainly looks big enough at the bottow of the curl to be sporting flairs. I'd be staring at him so hard his head would be getting hot.

The one on our left is broomed on his right side but I don't think he's quite full curl yet on his left, but he's close. He'd also be getting the stare down hoping he'd turn his head. The flaired tip of the right side mide be in shadow or that could be vegatation. Movement would tell the tale though.

With that view I'd certainly be planning a route to get closer but wouldn't shoot on that view. I'd be gettin' the fever though. Do you have any more shots with a profile view or different angle?
    Last edited by hodgeman; 12-15-2010 at 14:39. Reason: saw the shadow...

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Here is a zoomed in copy. I must need to clean my glasses, the ram on the left, just looks broke off on the left side. I can't see the tip on the left horn.

Looking only at the ram on the left, the rams left horn (on our right) is clearly not broomed. That same rams right horn tip can be seen outlined against a dark rock on the very edge of the zoomed picture. It also doesn't appear to be broomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Looking only at the ram on the left, the rams left horn (on our right) is clearly not broomed. That same rams right horn tip can be seen outlined against a dark rock on the very edge of the zoomed picture. It also doesn't appear to be broomed.
    I see the other tip now...........good eye...Frosty
    TR

Both these Rams are alive and well on the mountain waiting for you guys next year. The one on the right just looks older to me, he has more mass and a larger neck than the one on the left and it looks like I can see 4 or more rings from the low res photo. His tips also look too thick to be lamb tips and appear jagged.

I would have got as close as possible to these 2 for sure, while keeping my eye open for big brother.

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    The one on the left isn't broomed at all. The one on the right doesn't appear to be broomed, but also doesn't appear to be even close to legal. I would be tempted to study the one on the left a little more, especially get a view from the side but I would clearly pass on the right one.
    I would agree. The one on the right doesn't look even close and the one on the left would need to be viewed broadside and I doubt he would quite make it either.

The one on the left is not broomed at all. The horn on the left (our view) is visible and flares a good bit which makes it hard to see. It seems harder to judge with the wider sheep like that but I don't think he is legal. The one on the right needs a closer look. He looks like a double broomer in that pic.

Not a good enough look. I think they would require a better look from a differnt angle. I've seen my fair of sheep, but this angle is very hard to judge by.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast