Thread: West Fork of the Gulkana

Default West Fork of the Gulkana

I am looking at doing a fishing/camping adventure in June or July up the West Fork Gulkana. Wondering how far up the West Fork you can get a jet? Hoping to get to Fish Lake at least, maybe farther?
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

It can be done depending on water conditions at the time.
    The bugs can be awful at that time though.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    It can be done depending on water conditions....BK
    I have a friend who would call that an understatement, He dang near tore the transom off of his boat up there. Guess the water conditions weren't quite right. (It was an older boat with an outboard).

Watch the rocks they do like transoms! I have never been too far up there but hear the airboaters like it. Be sure to let us know how it works out for you, heck bring it up when it gets a little closer to boating season and I will see if I can bring my Wooly up there for a spin as well. Took it up the main fork a couple of years ago but it got too skinny and I parked her on the gravel. There was a bit more involved that day and needless to say we shortly went home and my wife will never go back.

West Fork has killed three Phantom Sport Jons in the last four years. There is a section about four miles up that kill 90% of jets. Airboat guys can run on the bank through the boulders. I only know of one JET boat that made it all the way into Fish Lake. On the way back down he, ripped a coffee can size hole in his hull. That was the highest anyone has seen the water in years. Last season was brutally low, we averaged 12-18 inches for most of West Fork. I ripped my transom away from the hull and bent my jet foot. Knowledge of the river is extremely important unless you have four bilge pumps. Here's a picture of the Phantom that made it to Fish Lake. It's gutted as light as possible.

Sorry not trying to tell you not to run, just go with a couple boats and take your time. Have fun

[/IMG]