Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fleas anyone?

Default fleas anyone?

anyone had any cats or marten or anything here in south central alaska with fleas? been reading about it in other sites and wanted to know if others have same experiences?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Not lynx or marten, but my son got a hare near Tustumena a few weeks ago that was absolutely riddled with fleas; the only one I have seen like that this year. Had to freeze it right away. I can only imagine that the lynx have them as well.

We had a controversy over this last year, with one member stating that fleas were not found in Alaska.

I spray with Raid flea formula in a tied garbage bag and let it sit for an hour or so.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    I spray with Raid flea formula in a tied garbage bag and let it sit for an hour or so.
    Yup and the coyotes smell better too after being sprayed.

I've been putting Buhach on the animals and shaking them up in a big bag to let them sit for an hour or two. No signs of creepy crawlies on them and they do smell better afterwards.

buhach is a great idea....i've heard of guys using Sevin dust as well...but that stuff will kill you too it sounds like. raid and buhach seem like safer options.
    Master guide 212

Speaking of smell on critters. The buhach seems to keep the odor down but so does taking a piece of paper towel, rolling it up and using a stick to plug that stink hole under their tails. No more super stink after the paper towel plug is in place. An old Easton aluminum arrow shaft with the coned nock end works great at getting that plug up far enough to stay put.

Yep lots of fleas on my cat, I got a few weeks ago, carried it out of the field to the truck wrapped around my neck. 3 hrs later when i was climbing into the shower I felt something on my temple and looked in the mirror and had one crawl across my ear. When I was thawing the cat a few days later for skinning as the fur dried the fleas were all over it crawling out. I learned 2 things, dont carry out of the field around your neck, and spray bag before putting into the freezer.

Throw um in a plastic bag and give a spray of Raid or powder.

I just hang them outside and let them freeze.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Jake, EVERY marten I've caught this year in the valley has had fleas. Not tons of them but they are there, a couple of shots of raid in a garbage bag, close it up and hang it for 1/2 hour and your good. Beaver have fleas also, but they are friendly fleas, lol. (actually not fleas but some sort of beatle)

I've hung up marten and fox with fleas for a days at -10 and had the fleas come back to life when they thaw out...

i just caught a mink. should i worry about the posibillity of fleas on him? what about the other water critters?

The foxes and lynx that I have caught this year have had more fleas than I have seen in years past.

Quote Originally Posted by joefish00000 View Post
    i just caught a mink. should i worry about the posibillity of fleas on him? what about the other water critters?
    I doubt that you'll find any fleas on mink, beaver, muskrat, etc., as they have little interaction with other mammal species in the way that coyote, wolves, foxes, lynx, etc. do. Also, I don't think fleas could live in a watery environment.

You need a little more experience, Sayak! Seen real bad flea infestations on mink. Beaver have a large flea sometimes.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Any more info on this? I've heard of some fur animals with fleas, but it sounds like lots of people are seeing more fleas than before. So are the fleas becoming more of a problem, or is this normal. I've also heard they are host specific, but now I wonder if my domestic dogs are at risk. I've owned dogs here for a long time, and have never had a flea on them. Any more info on these fleas would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    You need a little more experience, Sayak! Seen real bad flea infestations on mink. Beaver have a large flea sometimes.
    Probably so mt. I'm surprised and informed. I trapped very little while a teenager in Sitka many years ago and saw no fleas on mink, and have never witnessed them on muskrat or beaver I have shot in SW Alaska. You're never too old to learn something new I guess. Thanks for straightening that out.

i too have never seen fleas but heard of many many guys that have found them. so i figured it would be something to prepare for...
    my understanding is that they are attracted to heat...once an animals dies they come to the surface to look for heat...thats why the bug spray is so effective...and they jump towards people. this is what i've been able to find so far...i'm sure everyone has had some different experiences though. i've seen big beetle things in beaver pelts, but never very many.
    Master guide 212

Where i trap our beaver is covered with beetles or fleas or lice one. I am not sure what they are but will drive you crazy tring to keep them off you while you skin the animal. I cant stand to have something crawling on me. It is my understanding that 7 dust is not very harmful to humans but I have never heard of buhach. Could someone tell me what that is. Thanks.

They can be frozen in a freezer for a week or so where they won't come back to life. Every lynx I have ever skinned was covered with fleas and the fleas seem to get worse on everything as the rabbits peak. In the late 80's every rabbit you shot would be carpeted in them. I have froze bear fleas in a freezer also but it takes a good week.

A word of caution on freezing small furbearers...freeze drying....tails, paws, ears,noses....makes skinning them alot tougher without tearing hides...wrap them in something and put in an airtight bag if possible...

If I remember correctly, the bugs on beavers are some type of beetle and they are host specific. They dont seem to jump, they just crawl around and slowly at that...

I "believe" the marten fleas are host specific too, but I'm not taking any chances since I skin them in my home...

I've never seen fleas on coyotes, oddly enough...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast