Thread: Seasoned hunter but new to SE-AK

Default Seasoned hunter but new to SE-AK

Good day everyone,

I grew up deer hunting in louisiana. Now I live in Juneau and I am looking for places to go hunt in the area. I heard the place to go would be back side of douglas is. I just made a hunt over there last week and I ended up just walking aimlessly. Is there anyone that could point me in some sort of a direction.
    What about Thanes? Does anyone hunt there.

I am not so intrested in bear, just deer and maybe the mountain goat.

Thanks and good luck,
    Chris

Welcome to town Chris.

Douglas has an excellent deer population - and it's either sex from Sept 15 to the end of the season. They get hunted hard and are some of the wariest deer around town. Mainland deer populations are low, but there are a few - bucks only. Wandering aimlessly, eh? Still hunting can feel like that sometimes. Not sure what techniques you used in LA. Slow down, and keep the wind in your favor. I don't necessarily see deer everytime I go out if that makes you feel better.

I took a nice buck out Thane a few years back.

(I'm sharing waaaay too much info on this one - consider it an X-mas present gents )

Agree slow down and spend at least twice as much time watching as walking.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I grew up deer hunting around SE and I didn't see my first deer on Douglas until my second season in Juneau. A tip for this time of year is get up high and in the big timber. Douglas deer don't come down unless they have too. Try to find open timber in the 800-1000 ft level and you should have some decent luck. Having hunted whitetails you should be pretty equiped for hunting spooky deer. Move slow keep your head up and it'll happen.

LG,
    That may be sharing a bit of info, but I'll hand it to anyone that's willing to hike those powerlines. Not an easy hunt at all. Or maybe I don't know the trick....
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater
    That may be sharing a bit of info, but I'll hand it to anyone that's willing to hike those powerlines. Not an easy hunt at all. Or maybe I don't know the trick....
    When you can take the pebble from my hand Grasshopper . . .

heh............I know that spot :P

Thanks everyone for the info. Merry xmas to all. I am off work on Wednesday. I was scoping out the powerline run in Thanes. I am thinking about heading over there. At least I will have clearings to hunt vice hoping to jump one on Douglas. L.G. that looks like a nice size buck, congrats.
    Happy hunting for the next 3 days everyone. Good luck

People are still hunting? (grin)

Good luck!

Don't think for a minute that hunting those power line cuts is "open"! NASTY brush. I, too know that area. Who broke out the window in the cabin? And who packed in the recliner!?! Crazy.

I think the same thing 270ti. It's been a good deer year and plenty of success was had early.

Although.....Good Luck, to those still hoping and working for a bit of venison for their table. Take out those worn out bucks and leave some does for the future.

Got my last deer of the season yesterday.....Time to start planning for the bears...

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    I think the same thing 270ti. It's been a good deer year and plenty of success was had early.

Although.....Good Luck, to those still hoping and working for a bit of venison for their table. Take out those worn out bucks and leave some does for the future.
    The concept of shooting does is just foreign to me.. especially since you know they are pregnant right now.