Thread: my first ever mink!

Talking my first ever mink!

well, Im just getting into trapping and i have bagged my first animal (besides a rabbit) today. it is a beautiful buck mink!!! my first. as you can see he is still thawing out and still in the 110 coni that i caught him in. for my set i took an old coffee can and put some salmon belly meat in the back of it with the 110 coni at the entrance. then i tucked it back in against the bank of a little shallow creek that still had some open water. i ended up with this guy!

hay mink, smile for the camera!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PB160005.jpg   PB160006.jpg  

Dude that is really awesome... I wish I could find some open water around here.. I think I might know an area with a little open water... I will have to scout it soon to see if I see other people in the area. Great mink. this is my first year and we are going out Thursday to check our line. Hope I can show you all something then.

Very cool! THanks for sharing! I missed the refuge class so I'm not going to get to start this year, but posts like this got me itchin!

Ya, way to go Joe. Always good to see what you drag in.
    Glad to see you got a line going, I'm sure your gonna put in the work. Good job!

Joe,

I really love to see new young trappers out there, congrats on the mink.

Now be careful skinning that thing, my wife used to really not like when I'd cut into the glands and stink up the whole cabin...they can really be powerful smelly! And they tend to be real fat too, so they take a bit of fleshing.

Continued success, thanks for posting,

Good lord, we have some kind of fur-bearer slaying savant on our hands! Awesome kid, keep it up!

Great job joefish, you're having a good season. I think that mink is winking at your camera are you sure that he was dead?

Nice size mink compared to what we have here,congrats
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

thanks guys,

i will continue to update you on the rest of the season on my little trap line.

You're doing a great job, it's good to know that not every kid around is glued to the Xbox and Wii 100% of the time. Keep at it.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post

Now be careful skinning that thing, my wife used to really not like when I'd cut into the glands and stink up the whole cabin...they can really be powerful smelly! And they tend to be real fat too, so they take a bit of fleshing.
    bushrat, dispite your advise i still managedti stink up the entire garage! my mother wasnt really impressed about the smell either.

Quote Originally Posted by joefish00000 View Post
    bushrat, dispite your advise i still managedti stink up the entire garage! my mother wasnt really impressed about the smell either.
    Don't worry you are not the only one that stunk up a garage, cabin, house etc skinning out a mink, I know I did it to and Mom was not happy! Good luck this winter!

Just wondering if you were keeping the pelt for personal use/display or selling? If selling, do you/anybody know what the going rate is for a nice mink pelt?

Bgarcher

since it is my first i am going to tan it and hang it on my wall. i think raw they go for like $12-$20 or something.

Joe, forgive me but that's really funny! You'll get better at not cutting into those glands. Not as bad as skunk but they can get kinda skunky <grin>.

If you ever do sell them, remember they want them with the skin side out, not the fur side out like marten that you case.

Good luck with the tanning! I have six mink here I soap-tanned, hanging up that I need to use for something. Real good durable fur.

that thing looks like a monster in that 110....what was the length on him?
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

not sure how big he is exactly but i was surprised that he was able to get that far through the coni before getting ZAPD!!!
    i made getting him out of the thing pretty hard.

after you flesh him measure from nose to base of tail..i bet hes at that 20 inch mark
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    after you flesh him measure from nose to base of tail..i bet hes at that 20 inch mark
    will do.
    i will not be doing that until spring though. i toss everything in the frezzer until spring and i tan a bunch of stuff up.