Thread: Scorpion vs Spitfire

Cool Scorpion vs Spitfire

Does anybody have any first hand info about the Scorpion? I know several people here have the Spitfire and are using them. Which would you buy between the two if you had a choice and price was not a factor? Thanks for any help/info.

I've had first hand comparison between the two. If cost wasn't a factor, I'd go with the Scorpion. More sounds can be added to it. The remote is really nice on it and you can use the Scorpion by itself, or add an external speaker to get a bunch more volume from it. I still have a Scorpion and it's a great caller.

Same as what snowcamoman said. Scorpion is a great call. Have one (X1A) since they first came out. Killed a ton of critters with it. Its small enough to fit in your pocket (good to help keep it warm on those really cold days even though I have never had a problem with the cold affecting it). More volume than you probably will ever need, if you do need more throw on a TOA speaker (good for really windy days). My buddy got the spitfire and I have been playing around with it and it is a good small call. About the only thing I don't like is volume control, there needs to be more in-between adjustability and the fact that it doesn't fit in my pocket. The volume issue hasn't had a negative effect on calling the critters, its just my two cent. The price is nice too. Foxpro has good customer service too. They really go above and beyond to make you happy.

I have a Scorpion. I like it. Not long ago I saw that they were on sale at Cabelas for 349.00
    PC gag in place.

450hunter,
    My Scorpion is older and uses the old TX200 remote. The new X1B Scorpion looks even nicer with more features (cheaper than mine was too).

How is the volume of the Scorpion without a external speaker? I would also like to thank everyone for their response.

Well.....I prefer the spitfire over the scorpion because "Nothing Runs Like a Deere"

The Scorpion was no slouch either............

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spitfire.jpg   scorpion.jpg  

Well I ordered a FoxPro Scorpion X1B last night. After reading alot of reviews on the internet I went with the Scorpion. I couldn't really find any bad things about the Scorpion other than may need to use a external speaker on windy days. On the other hand I read where quite a few people were having issues with the Spitfire but we all know how reviews can be. I do not have any experience with either one so I just hope the Scorpion is ok.

You will like the Scorpion. I have had mine for 4+ years I think. I have only taken an extra speaker a handful of times. It really is plenty loud. Most of the time I am only at half the volume. Go have some fun. Hopefully it warms up soon.

I think you'll be happy with your purchase, that new Scorpion looks real nice, especially the antenna-less remote. If you need a hand with it or anything, PM me and I can help you out, or meet you around Fairbanks to show you anything you have questions on. If you're going to run an external speaker, chat with me, there are things to consider with wires to plug them in up here that don't apply to the lower 48 type setups.

snowcamoman

Thanks for offering the help. I will probably take you up on it if you don't mind. I'm new to this game and don't know much about it but I want to get started. My call is coming with 50 sounds but I want to add some more different sounds but I don't know how to do that either. Also I would like to know about the external speakers/wiring your talking about.

My call is being shipped to my moms house(Mississippi) and is supposed to get there around the 28th if I remember right. I'm going down their on the 13 Jan to visit and want to try calling coyotes. They have alot of them around I guess because she says she hears them all the time at night.

450Hunter,
    Adding sounds to another SD Micro card is real simple, you just need to get a reader. You can order one from FoxPro, or find them at Wally world's. That might be something you want to look for while you're down in Mississippi.

Here is FoxPro's setup:
    http://www.gofoxpro.com/products/accessories/sf_kit.php

For the speaker, you'll want to take the TOA and put a female jack onto it. Then, just make up a cable to plug into that and the Scorpion. That way, between stands, you can roll it up and put it in your pocket, keeping it from getting damaged and cracked. Drop me a line when you get back and we'll make your Scorpion "Alaskanized".

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

having run both of those... the 72 rupp Nitro II was a better sled though... faster too

hyjack over.. back to calling.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Well.....I prefer the spitfire over the scorpion because "Nothing Runs Like a Deere"

The Scorpion was no slouch either............

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

snowcamoman

Which speaker would be best one of the TOA or the SP55. I have read that the SP55 works well with the Scorpion but it looks like it is made of plastic and I'm not sure about that in cold weather. Also I have a microSD card reader not sure were it came from but I have one. Will any microSD card work in the caller? Thanks again

450Hunter,
    You want the TOA 10Watt model. The SP55 will break in our temperatures, trust me, I shattered mine. The SP-55 is a great sounding speaker, just the plastic can't handle our cold. I believe any Micro SD card will work in the caller. I've only used SanDisks in mine though, so I'm not 100% certain about that, you might want to send FoxPro an email asking before you buy one. I was incorrect saying you need a Micro SD reader. I was thinking you got the SpitFire. You can just put the Micro SD in the Scorpion and you're good to go, it'll read them just fine. I actually use my Scorpion as my Micro SD reader. Sorry about the confusion. It's not necessary to have another card for the caller, just handy at times.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Just orderd mine.. as it did not show up under the tree as expected... i ordered from www.apcalls.com this morning, was able to select up to 24 sounds on it to be preprogramed and already received the UPS notice of delivery the 29th. warming up this weekend... headed to the property in clear the kids want to try for some of the yotes we have running around down there... sounds like a good new years.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince

Which model did you get?

i ordered the spitfire... wanted to go the scorpion modle but monday after x mas made it a little more difficult..

meet on face book here