Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good old days! Re-visited

Default Good old days! Re-visited

Maybe we can go back! (Don't really want too - wouldn't be any grand kids)
    Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

what different today?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yeah, I couldn't figure that out either. Except maybe that they are calling seals game animals.

the good old days...seward 1911. quite the hunting club.

1911 001.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    what different today?
    What is different today, is enforcement. That law was never enforced. Read Charles Sheldon's "Wilderness of Denali" or the sequel book the name of which escapes me just now. Also the Road Commission was exempt, The Railroad was exempt, and it was never enforced on the roadhouses.

There used to be a bounty on eagles as late as the forties. I think it was 5 bucks per eagle. If I recall correctly.

I believe what it states is no sport hunting for city folk.Looks like only people liveing in the bush and natives can take game in or out of season and no season for townies. The eagle bounty lasted till statehood at least in the S.E.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    What is different today, is enforcement. That law was never enforced. Read Charles Sheldon's "Wilderness of Denali" or the sequel book the name of which escapes me just now. Also the Road Commission was exempt, The Railroad was exempt, and it was never enforced on the roadhouses.
    NOPE WRONG...

FOR instance.. moose season is 9/1-9/20 on average.. homesteader, miner, bush dweller, native,other.... season are 9/21-8/30.. yearly..

enforcement kicks in around TOWN.. not far out neither.. shoot you already know that though..

cops got called on the Taylor week or so ago.. NOT THEIR PROBLEM NOBODY AVAILABLE TO DISPATCH..

fact is. it is STILL AK around most the state.. and if you NEED meat YOU GO GET IT. nothing different. at least not to someone like your self who has been out and about many years up here..

sure there is a growing population of L48'rs that cant read our regs to save their live.. and want to make our hunting a competitive sport like they are doing down there... LOL>.. tree stand sitters afraid to go into the woods when it gets dark willing to loose an animal trail to rain then go LOOK..

but the fact remains.. as i told them so MONTHS before the point hope issue came to court.. nothing will happen and it did not..

enforcement stays HOME where it is needed to keep the populace happy.. i have SEEN troopers Pick a moose hair off the neighbors chest.. while following up on a report.. and say thank you sir.. have a nice winter..

nothing different unless you open your mouth. fact is.. i have seen moose appear on a door step as a family needed it.. and would do it my self if i could not afford to help a family out... if all your grand kids were there... and you were having a rough time...meat would still show up today...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Little has changed.
    Still have the Feds telling us what we can't do.
    Still can't sell a Raw Brown Bear Hide.
    The Eagle's did get a reprieve, sorta kinda.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

the trooper we had in the village, was cool with spring duck hunting as long as you had them in a bag....lol so he could deny he knew the contents...what a "trooper".
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Ah yes, the good old days, when the killing was banned...

...except for eagles, ravens, and cormorants.

We thought we we had become so enlightened <grin>.

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    There used to be a bounty on eagles as late as the forties. I think it was 5 bucks per eagle. If I recall correctly.
    In the fifties was three dollars for an eagle (had to bring in the claws) and a cent and a half for dollies (the fish); had to bring in the tails.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    ...except for eagles, ravens, and cormorants.

We thought we we had become so enlightened <grin>.
    And we are today?
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    And we are today?
    Joe
    Not by a long shot....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I am all for letting us hunt golden eagles. There are a bunch of them and they wreck havoc on sheep and goat populations. They might have a greater effect on Sheep populations than coyotes. They sure do a number on them in the Chugach range. One of the best ways to find sheep that are tuckered up is to look for golden eagles. They harass the living hell out of sheep all year long.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    In the fifties was three dollars for an eagle (had to bring in the claws) and a cent and a half for dollies (the fish); had to bring in the tails.
    Joe
    Thanks for the clarification Joe.

TL

bearhunter1.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Joe.

TL

bearhunter1.JPG
    Here is a quote from a report done ca. 1920. Not certain when the bounty was increased to $3.00.
    Joe
    (Note - thanks for posting the picture)

"I. The Slaughter of Eagles in Alaska—For several years prominent Alaskans, beginning with ex-Governor Hoggett, have claimed that the people of Alaska are best able to decide what should be done with and unto the wild life of Alaska. This proposition always has been open to argument, and it is opened wider still by the action of Alaska in regard to the treatment accorded the eagles of that Territory.
    Evidently the people of Alaska entertain no sentiment whatever, either patriotic or otherwise, toward the American eagle; or, for that matter, for any other eagle which inhabits the Territory. The Legislature of 1917 passed a law not only specially authorizing the killing of eagles, but placing a bounty of 50 cents on the head of each one in the Territory. At this distance it would seem that a bounty of 50 cents per head would be too small to stimulate eaglekilling as an industry; but that is far from being the case. It would seem that any price placed on the head of a wild bird or quadruped is sufficient to insure its wholesale destruction. It is reported that from April, 1917, to April, 1919, 5,600 eagles were killed in Alaska for the bounty of 50 cents per head."

It appears from this report the practice stopped in 1953.

http://www.rw.ttu.edu/sp_accounts/BaldEagle/status.htm
    However in Alaska, the killing was allowed until 1953. There bounties on eagles in Alaska from 1917 to 1945 and again from 1949 to 1953. Finally in 1953, the Territorial Bald Eagle Bounty Law was repealed in Alaska.

emweiler1.JPG

That's a real interesting plethora of guns those old boys have in those photos Tustumena. Lots of long guns in the Seward picture. A mixture of levers and bolts in the other two. Probably too early for Krags, eh?

I get jealous looking at the way things were back then. But better to be jealous of those long dead than the living.

Keep em coming.

A friend of mine was wanting some old hunting photos/old peninsula photos to hang in their house so I've been scanning them into the computer and printing out copies today and then I saw this post about the good old days and thought I'd put a few out there. Did that guy actually wear a tie sheep hunting, it sure looks like it.

Alaska Nellie
    nellielawing1.JPG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast