Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions for you Tikka owners

Default Questions for you Tikka owners

1. What type of accuracy are you Tikka Owners experiencing?
    2. How about the ruggedness of the action?
    3. Do the detachable magazine hold up?
    4. Anything odd about them?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I bought the Tikka T3 for the wife and it is worth every bit i spent on it. The smoothest action i have ever seen out of the box. Accuracy was great 3/8 moa with the first box of ammo. You will not go wrong on buying this rifle, it's worth it.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I have 2 Tikka T3 Lite Stainless rifles. One is a 270 WSM. Accuracy with a few factory offerings was under 1/2". Easily the most accurate factory rifle/factory ammo unit I've ever owned. The action has stood up to 4 years of being beaten in the mountains and drug through the alders. Haven't had any issues with the magazines either. As for odd? The stock isn't for everyone. Some people really scoff at them. If you hold it and it offends you, don't buy it but if it just seems a little different than what you're used to, you'll get used to it. The recoil lug took a little getting used to as it's separate from the barrel. Just different I guess. Some HATE the factory supplied rings but I've used both without fail. That brings us to the second of my Tikka's. It's a 338 WM. Recoil is sharp but I put a Limbsaver on both of them to increase length and they are wonderful. You are able to purchase them off the shelf at Sportsman's Warehouse.

The triggers are very easy to adjust, instructions for doing so are in the owners manual. Mine are very crisp with little to no overtravel. I have nothing bad to say about them and will not hesitate to buy another.

Hope it helps. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    1. Excellent sporter accuracy. I've not tweaked my rifle (actually my wife's) at all and it is big game capable to at least twice as far as she will ever shoot.

2. Can't say how rugged it is, only 200+ rounds through it. So far it has fed flawlessly and performed without a hitch in the field.

3. Again, the rifle is only a couple of years old, but the magazine seems fine. The polymer is very slick and feeding is extremely smooth. 3 standard cartridges down seems a bit of a waste, but it's not a real issue. I priced an extra mag when I bought the rifle and remember they are spendy.

4. The tip-off rail is not the most aesthetically pleasing attribute IMO. The design of the ejection port limits the ability to load without feeding from the magazine. I won't say you can't do it, but it is certainly not convenient. I like the weight of the rifle and it also balances very well. IMO it's a solid rifle and a good value. Ultimately, it was the rifle my wife picked out for her use. I have nothing against it, but I wouldn't buy one for my personal rifle.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Right outta the box, scope installed and boresighted, first firing. 50 Yards. 30-06. Laying over a bag no fancy bench rest. Started lower right, click, boom, click, boom, click, boom, click, boom, boom, boom, boom.

I LOVE IT! Light to carry, shoots smooth, feels right!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I have had a T3 lite SS/Syn in 308 Win for about a year. Only put about 100 rounds through it. No hunts or abuse so I can't comment on that, but most of what you have probably heard is true. I have found;

1) The action could not be any smoother
    2) The trigger has a very good clean sharp break. Easily adjustable and you cannot turn the adjustment screw in or out too far as it will hit stops. 1 to 2 Kg pull range
    3) I can see where someone use to a high dollar stock would not like the one on the Tikka, but I just want something that is durable and low maintenance. I like it just fine.
    4) I have not tweaked the loads at all yet, but I have shot a 4 shot group of .9 inch with only a tripod so it meets the 1 inch 3 shot guarantee. A lead sled and I might do better.
    5) I confess that I thought the factory rings were OK, but I tightened the scope up as much as I dared and the scope still slid in the rings. When I removed the rings, I noticed that the recoil lug on the front ring had almost torn out of the ring base! Looks like I will have to buy a better set. Optilocks are nice but expensive.
    6) The magazine seems fine to me too. A 5 shot mag can be bought for $60.
    7) I don't know if it is me, but I have had a little issue with it feeding max length cartridges (2.8 in). It is a left hand rifle since I am blind in my right eye and need one, but I am right handed and the smoothness of my operating of the bolt left handed may not be so good. I cannot get Federal gold medal match ammo to feed reliably (168 gr Sierra MK), they are the max 2.8 inches long. Fed American Eagle ammo, all my reloads some of which are 2.75 in long, all feed as slick as snot on a doorknob. Just can't get the gold medal match to feed yet. That last .05 inch of cartridge length seems to cause problems. Maybe it will free up after a little more use, since it is so new.
    8) Limbsaver has a model that mounts right to the stock with the original screws. Just remove the hard rubber pad it comes with.
    9) I am very pleased with the rifle, but I have only owned one other in my life, a Marlin 22lr bolt that got stolen, so take that for what it is worth. I would recommend it to anyone, it seems like a fine gun to me. I bought it on recommendations from reading several shooting forums such as this one.
    10) 220 grain max load ammo definitely kicks more than 150 grain standard loads.

regards,
    Bruce

I've got a Tikka T3 in 300 WSM that I've had for a few years now. I'll agree with the prior statements about the rings being a little cheesy. As for accuracy, I haven't ever shot factory ammo through it, but with Sierra 180s I had one three shot group that measured right around 0.3". For a stock factory rifle without any custom work or tuning, I think that's as much as anyone can ask for. I haven't had any issues with magazine durability, but then again, I haven't taken it out in the field alot thus far. For what it's worth, the Tikka is basically a less expensive Sako. For my money right now, if I were in the market for a new rifle, Tikka would be the first one I'd look at.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

I bought my wife a T3 lite in .270 when we found out we were moving up here. First rifle (bigger than a .22) she ever shot and when we set her at 95 yards she was putting up 5 shot groups at ~.64 inch. I've shot it some and can squeeze those groups down a titch but not much. The bolt action is incredibly smooth easy to operate, and the magazines (although plastic and with a bad rep) have performed flawlessly for us. The only odd thing I have noticed seems to be something in the chamber that doesn't allow the bolt to seat properly and lock down unless a fair amount of force is put behind the bolt throw. It's nothing that has hampered our shooting, just something that has taken some adjustment from other bolt actions. I can say with utmost certainty that unless I win the lottery my next rifle will be a Tikka (would be a hard call even with a winning ticket). Only thing I plan on changing are the recoil (love the limbsavers on there) and new rings (prolly leopold).

-Justin
    Do something brave today... then run like hell
    ~~~~~~~
    The ideas of tomorrow are fashioned by those who challenge the ideas of today.

Well there you go, I have one for the wife and after reading this i am ready to go buy one for me now.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Tikka T3 is the most popular moose hunting rifle at the moment here in Finland, homecountry of Tikka and Sako. At first Tikka and Sako were separate companies . Those old generation Tikka rifles M55 and M65 are among the most accurate factory rifles ever made. I have used M55 .308 about 25 years without any problems. Accuracy with Sako Racehead target ammo or Lapua Mega softpoint is 3 shots/100 m/0,5 moa. Now Sako owns also Tikka factory but rifles are still very good quality. Most T3 rifles I have test fired in 30-06 or 9,3x62 can shoot under 1 moa / 100m.

I am also happy w/ mine. I replaced the recoil pad on the 270wsm but it probably wasn't needed. I just switch to limbsaver pads on everything right out of the box. I also didn't mess with the stock rings, everything gets talley lightweights out of the box. The rifle feeds like butter, is accurate out of the box and is one of my favorites to shoot. Only things that I am not thrilled about is the plastic cap on the rear of the action and the high cost of a replacement magazine. That said I have not needed a new mag and I have not had any problem with the plastic cap and would own another tikka.

The Tikka T3 (that I've had) is a good rifle, and everything it is advertised to be --- no hyperbole.

I can only comment on the Stainless/synthetic T3 light, and T3 Tactical.
    I'm personally not much for the laminate stock, and do not feel that the laminated wood at least that I've seen is all that good on the T3.

Action is good... very smooth and reliable
    Trigger is nice... easily adjustable having glassy break with no travel
    Synthetic Stock is much better material and fitted very well from factory... much better than most would credit it or admit.
    Accuracy is very good!!! and easily lives up to <MOA out of the box with no tweaking required. Also not too picky on ammunition.
    Stainless/synthetic makes a great all weather conditions Alaska rifle... note: higher carbon content w/ this stainless, so you will find some rust potential.
    Magazine aids very smooth and positive feeding... seems light duty, nevertheless not one issue, and it stays securely in the rifle.

Rings are on the light side... I've encountered no issues, yet I can see placing a heavier scope on a bigger kicker to encourage potential shortcomings.
    Rubber 'puck' on the stock (while durable)... not a comfortable kick-pad
    Tho' no problems whatsoever with magazines... I feel the only good means for speedy reload is another magazine vs. single round feed from topside. Extra Magazines are presently way too pricey, seemingly never readily available, and beckoning aftermarket.
    Reasonably priced... Price has gone up plus other companies have 'Tikkafied' their own makes/models --- so not quite the deal of a few years ago.

I would not hesitate the slightest to have another in 6.5x55, .30-06, or .270WSM... niche for me is mountain use.

I'd also like to see it available in 9.3 here in USA.

Have one in .223. Can cover 5 shots with a dime (I kid you not, and I am a crappy shot usually). An amazing shooter! Will be my choice when I go for my mountain gun.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I have been very pleased with my T-3 lite in .300WM and have said so on these forums a few times.
    Accuracy: Rifle shoots better than I can. I hand load exclusively, but it seems to be pretty forgiving across several loads except for first generation Barnes 165/168 g. Mine at least has a pretty long throat which may account for that.
    Durability: I have beaten the snot out of this rifle for five seasons now. It is one of my two “go to” rifles and has more time in the field over this time than the rest of the safe put together. No issues.
    Detachable mag: Pretty basic, no durability issues. I have two. They are way over priced though (~$60-$70) for what they are. Also the “5 shot” mag I bought for an extra only holds 4 shots in .300WM.
    I actually like the detachable mag and find it real easy to reload with. If the mag is in I have no problem with dropping a single round in, but could slap in a whole new mag about as fast.
    Oddness: They are all long action. Tikkas shooting shorter cartridges have a bolt stop and filler in the mag to take up space. So you save no weight by going with a shorter cartridge.
    Factory rings: I had no issues with mine for the first four years. After putting a LOT of rounds down range I noticed a lump where the steel insert in the ring was starting to work loose internally. Switched to Talleys, probably should have done that from the start.
    Recoil pad: I didn’t have a problem with the stock one, but it is pretty cheesy. When I switched the rings I put on a limbsaver just because I could.
    I have often thought that if I had gotten it in .338WM I could sell off all the rest, but that would be bad!

it has been reported to us that they are very accurate, plus see the responses below

We have seen a Tikka blow up on a factory round. Per Beretta, the gun was fine. Per Federal, the ammo was fine. Federal bought the customer a new gun at a discount price, which the customer promptly sold

Expensive, dont lose them

I wish they had more steel and less plastic

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Tikka T3 is the most popular moose hunting rifle at the moment here in Finland, homecountry of Tikka and Sako. At first Tikka and Sako were separate companies . Those old generation Tikka rifles M55 and M65 are among the most accurate factory rifles ever made. I have used M55 .308 about 25 years without any problems. Accuracy with Sako Racehead target ammo or Lapua Mega softpoint is 3 shots/100 m/0,5 moa. Now Sako owns also Tikka factory but rifles are still very good quality. Most T3 rifles I have test fired in 30-06 or 9,3x62 can shoot under 1 moa / 100m.
    Got a Lahti pistol hanging around you can give me for Christmas

I think its pretty much been covered above, but here's a group I shot earlier this year.

Big beef: The stainfull barrel steel my rifle has. On my PWS deer hunt, I had rusting issues and after a few days in Sitka, it really took a toll on the barrel.

The action seems fine and doesn't rust, just the barrel...

It doesnt seem like this would be the case here, but I know that if you put carbon steel in contact with stainless, the ss will rust. eg, they never pick up stainless pipe with carbon steel hooks...

I cant imagine a scenario where you'd have carbon in contact with your barrel though...bummer.

Say Hunt, was that from salt spray? I have had mine rain soaked for days without a similar problem. I does get a pretty good rub down with break free before and after though.

Big beef: The stainfull barrel steel my rifle has. On my PWS deer hunt, I had rusting issues and after a few days in Sitka, it really took a toll on the barrel.
    Bring it in, I will have the boys blast it for you...then next time use Rustguardit or etc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast