Thread: .416 Ruger shooters??

Default .416 Ruger shooters??

Been looking at the .416 Ruger Alaskan rifle for a while, have read a bit about the .375 Ruger here. Is ammo both available around the state?

Thanks

You can get the ammo from Midway. I also have thought about this round not that I need it but mostly because I have never owned a big bore rifle. I have a 338 win. mag. that is real accurate and I have thought about the 375 ruger but feel it is not that much more than the 338 and the 416 would fill the gap in my rifle battery. I will go on a African plains game hunt and may even hunt cape buffalo someday and elephants are becoming more and more affordable. Actullay Africa is a way bigger bargain than Alaska. It may make more sense to sell my 338 and buy a 375 H&H and be done with it but I still feel the 416 is a better elephant and buff weapon.

Last spring I picked some up for my son at GNG in Anchorage.

I have seen factory ammo for it at Chimo's, Sportsmans, and Three bears in the valley. I bought mine in Idaho when I picked up the rifle.

when i decided to go with a .416 i talked with my gun nut buddies at nosler about doing a wildcat short action...this is before the 416 ruger was out...and we decided not to do it..failing to really see the advantage over say a 416 remington..shorter action was about the only thing we could think of that would be nice. spendy brass, hard to find ammo aren't things i want to mess with.
    so i decided to have new ultra light arms build me a 416 remington. glad i did, the long action is no big thing, shoots great, weights 6.2lbs and is built to my specs...so glad today that i didn't build a short action 416....i love the gun i have!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Jake

Was this the rifle that had a broken stock ???
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

ya the one the guy ran into on the fourwheeler...stock is getting fixed right now..
    Master guide 212

What type of stock are you going with this time ??

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER RICK View Post
    What type of stock are you going with this time ??

RR
    I can't imagine a NULA action being put into anything but a NULA stock. Their ultralight stocks is one of their biggest selling points.

ya its a nula stock, he builds them down there, LOP and pistol grip is all sized to my hands and so on..changin' up the paint job though..going with a skull and crossbones pattern...
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ya its a nula stock, he builds them down there, LOP and pistol grip is all sized to my hands and so on..
    I'm kinda disappointed; after your accident I'd hoped for a pistol grip version...

changin' up the paint job though..going with a skull and crossbones pattern...
    I was uncertain at first, but after pondering this a great deal I think I can like unusual colored/painted stocks a whole lot. As a matter of fact, I think my "dull" days are behind me. I've got a swirly 60/20/20 blue, black, light gray coming from McMillan and I am preparing to order a 70/30 red/black from them in a short while. It's all flash from here on out...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I just got off the phone with the Chump that answered it at NULA. I was trying to get information for a custom left hand 338LM based on his left hand 416 Rigby barreled action. I have a brother in law that is chomping at the bit to start a custom build.

I went to the NULA site because of information on this thread. Customer service was the worst I've ever experienced. I'm glad it was a phone call because I could not have taken the abuse in person...

I went with the .375 Ruger, no one had the .416 Ruger in stock. Many places I called the .416 Ruger out sells the .375 Ruger.
    It seems like there are a lot of .375 Ruger shooters in Alaska.

when you call nula you go in on your knees, the man that owns the place and does all the gun works knows his guns and acts like it..presentation of your case will dictate how will your relationship with him goes....
    i went in humble asking his opinion on what he thougth would work best for the application i had and a few specifics that are minor and he was great....never had a bad conversation with him yet, more than helpfull even when i have stupid questions.
    Master guide 212

when you call nula you go in on your knees, the man that owns the place and does all the gun works knows his guns and acts like it..presentation of your case will dictate how will your relationship with him goes....
    i went in humble asking his opinion on what he thougth would work best for the application i had and a few specifics that are minor and he was great....never had a bad conversation with him yet, more than helpfull even when i have stupid questions.
    I just called and asked what his lead time was on a custom rifle. He said all rifles are custom and asked what I had in mind. I told him I shoot with a few buddies, all with 338 Lapua's. I told him we went out in the day after Thanksgiving and took a couple of first time HP shooters out for a taste. He asked what we where shooting, I told him two TAC 338LM and a TAC 338NM made by McMillan and the other a Sako TRG 338LM. He went off on how wrong they were for using less than a 34" barrel in that cartridge. I told him I was happy with mine but one of the new guys was wanting a lefty.

I asked if he could build a 1:10 twist 27" 338LM based on his left hand 416 action, he wasn't interested, very rude. So I asked if he would sell his action or a barreled action and we would go from there, he said no. He went on to say that no one could build a stock to work with his action, I said that's a bold statement. We basically butted heads and went two separate ways.

I have no need for arrogance from anyone specially when trying to make him a few dollars. I'm sure his product is fine and it appears he has been in business for quite a while. However, there is more than one way to do something and a rifle with a 34" barrel and a sporter stock isn't what we had in mind.

No big deal, several fish in the sea. I hope your rifle works out well. Most of the packages on his site are very light weight and probably perfect for packing on a sheep hunt. Interesting thing about his light weight rifles, they all have barrels on the short end of normal for cartridge, dah...

Quote Originally Posted by wildchild2010 View Post
    I went with the .375 Ruger, no one had the .416 Ruger in stock. Many places I called the .416 Ruger out sells the .375 Ruger.
    It seems like there are a lot of .375 Ruger shooters in Alaska.
    Both rounds seem to be good efficient cartridges. I kind of lean towards the 416 because I have a 338 and with reloads the 416 has some spitzer bullets availabe and would be pretty flat shooting but I bet you will love that 375

marshall, ya i can see where melvin would rub some guys the wrong way...if you know excatly what you want and have an opinion already it could be a bit of a user conflict. sorry to hear it didn't go well.
    i actually wanted my barrel shorter but he didn't want to do it much shorter so its 22" and off a lead sled with cloverleaf five shots...it weights 6.2lbs and is a .416 rem...but thats what i use a gun for..knockin' crap down and out. i'm not a long range player or have any specifics that i like to tinker with.
    Master guide 212

marshall, ya i can see where melvin would rub some guys the wrong way...if you know excatly what you want and have an opinion already it could be a bit of a user conflict. sorry to hear it didn't go well.
    i actually wanted my barrel shorter but he didn't want to do it much shorter so its 22" and off a lead sled with cloverleaf five shots...it weights 6.2lbs and is a .416 rem...but thats what i use a gun for..knockin' crap down and out. i'm not a long range player or have any specifics that i like to tinker with.
    I was really hoping he would do a lefty 338LM based on his 416 action with one of those sweet Douglas barrels in a 26.5" like the length of the Schneider barreled TAC's we're shooting. I had visions of dropping that barreled action at McMillan's front door and having them fit a custom A5 with their CAD inletting system.

Based on the advertised price of his complete rifle and the advertised price of an A5 it appearder as if the Brother in Law would have a custom system for a grand less than I paid for mine. Even more of a savings if he only charged for a barreled action.

Some gun smiths are like artists, they only do it their way or not at all. Bummer that the in law is having to look elsewhere. We got a lead off the gunsmith section and we're hoping to have an answer Monday.

Take care,

I actually have both the .375 and the .416. Ammo is generally available, but I load my own. Both of mine are set up
    with Ruger's standard synthetic stocks. About $70 from Brownells. These are the same as the ones on the Compact Magnums, except for the action length. I only had a little sanding in the forend to make them fit . I use the Warne quick detachable mounts. I absolutely love these mounts. The .416 has a 1-4 Leupold. The .375 has a 2 1/2-8 Leupold.
    I can tell you, they both shoot better than I do. I have several times shot 3 rounds under an inch with both. The 20" barrels are stout, but not heavy. What a great country, where we can have exactly what we want ! Good luck.
    Bryan