Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent pics - been slow going the past couple of weeks

Default Recent pics - been slow going the past couple of weeks

We got deep cold after all the snow and it's been slow going breaking trails out. And when it does warm up out of the -40s, it's typically only for a day or two, -20s with wind and more snow.

This is one of those days, a balmy -28:

Caught a couple marten that day. Here's one caught in the set where I caught a couple wolverine underneath in that #2:

Dogs are definitely not liking all the trail breaking in the cold. But they love coming in to lounge on the couch!

Another one-day warm spell (-22) with snow and wind, breaking trail downriver:

...continued next post

...and another marten:

Camera has been dying in the cold, and it's just so dang dark sometimes pics don't come out at all. Tried to get some snowshoeing at -45 but it was a no go. Don't like to break trail with the dogs at that temp but I can get out snowshoeing some, just have to remember to wear my face muff cuz it's hard to breathe heavy when it's that cold without something over my mouth.

I can say that we are now acclimated to the deeper cold <grin>. Sure are going through the wood! Typically now we have both stoves going and temps have been between -45 and -48:

And did I mention how dark it is? <grin> Only 7 more days til solstice! And then we are on the other side folks, man will that be nice.

Here's the catch so far hanging in the cabin:

That gray wolf sure is pretty. Gotta do the wolf and wolverine skulls up and ship those off too.

Want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy Solstice, and Happy New Year! Good luck out there on the lines and stay safe,

Great post Mr Mark,

I too am counting the days until the Solstice. Sure have had some different weather this year. Stay warm and I wish you luck on the trap line. That is some nice looking fur, hope you do well this season.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Very nice, keep em comin!!

I really enjoy reading and looking at your photos Mark, thanks for sharing them. You're living the dream out there it looks like, even with the cold.

Keep em' comin' Mark.
    Good job on the marten.
    Truly amazing shots you share.

Love your stories & pics!
    Merry Christmas right back at you,
    Tami

As always thanks.Post like these give me better dreams at night.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    As always thanks.Post like these give me better dreams at night.
    AMEN AND GOOD NIGHT!
    love the posts mark...

Thank you Mark for your posts, and Merry Christmas and a Happy Productive New Year. Your posts remind me of the old days, when I was young.

Yes thanks for the pics. You're definitely livin it up. So do you tan up those hides yourself? They look great.
    Good luck on the rest of your season.

Bushrat, how do I get to where you are. You are the one guy on here that I want to come watch and learn from. Out in a cabin, sled, dogs, trapping.... tell me how to get there... I will take some leave... at least a month and we will have some fun

Quote Originally Posted by rock2382 View Post
    Bushrat, how do I get to where you are.
    Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Sounds good Alaskahippie... bags are packed and I am heading out... you said third from the left right

Default Thanks Alaska Hippie <Grin>!

Rock2382,

Appreciate the kudos and enthusiasm. "Fun" is relative to who is having it <grin>.

And Mtn Man Jack, I do tan most hides myself that I want to use, but the furs in the pic are all going raw to a fur buyer.

Uh...it is sitting at -50 now, oh boy! Thanks for all the comments.

Great looking furs Mark. I've been watching your temps via Lori. We're waiting on Solstice too. Matter of fact, my 9 year old won a prize in school because she knew "what happens in 9 days" lol. We will have our own little Solstice ceremony here at home.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Default cut off point

Do you have a temp that you just stay home at? How often, wx allowing, do you run the dogs, and how far, especially now breaking trail, do you go?
    Did you try the hot water on the bottom of the sled like I suggested? I can only imagine those dogs are working way too hard pulling that frost laden "bucket" down the trail. Sled dog or lab, they all seem to like the couch. Do you rotate them through the cabin or does the whole gang come in at once? I can imagine the bedlam. It'd be worse than a bunch of kids yelling "dubs"!
    You take care out there. We don't need to hear that something went south at minus god awful something temps.
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post

Uh...it is sitting at -50 now, oh boy!
    Nope he got it wrong! It is -54 this morning at Bushrat's cabin!
    But I got 2 stoves cranking and it's getting toasty inside

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

As always, thanks for the pics with the stories. You can keep that bitter cold though. Much prefer the positive side of zero on the temp gauge myself.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
    BK

ARR,

Used to travel all the time in deep cold back when we had neighbors out here and we'd all get together over solstice etc. So if it got to -55, trails were in, and we'd just travel between cabins, typically no more than 15 mile days. I don't do that so much anymore, we are the only ones left on the river, so no pressing need to travel.

I won't break trail past -40 now, it's just too hard on the dogs, on their forelegs and feet. If trail is in it's good to get them out though, warms them up. I may go haul in some wood today to get them all out. Critters don't move much in the deep cold so it isn't very productive to check lines at these temps.

Been making about 1mph breaking trail of late, and with just six dogs now I'm not pushing them more than a couple miles of trailbreaking each time. So typically like the first time after the big snow, I snowshoe out from the cabin a mile, and back, just to set some trail for the dogs to head out on. Next day I go with the dogs, and so on, until we make it to the end of the line.

Haven't tried the water on the UHMW yet, want to try some of the spray stuff or some wax though and see how that does. I revamped my daughter's old little toboggan and have been using that lately as it's much lighter. A real pain on the back though cuz the handlebars are so low, I made it for her when she was eight <grin>.

Our 3 females are coming into heat so it's a no-go to let all the dogs in the cabin at once. We have four males and 3 females, one female is more a pet dog and is in most all the time. We send her out usually and bring in the dogs in pairs, in shifts. Sometimes we have all four males in at once. And we switch off letting some sleep inside at night.

Yep, -54 today, got the stovepipe cleaned yesterday so we can really flare the stoves without any worries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast