Thread: got another fox!

Default got another fox!

Took my kids out calling and looking at caribou up north, and got a big beautiful cherry red female fox. She was really thick furred. My kids spotted it first, I never even saw it until they both pointed it out. ( I love my kids) I will not use the high velocity 22 rds again for fox though. the exit holes were 1 1/2 in. wide. they sewed up fine, but still. I definitely wouldn't hesitate to kill a coyote or lynx with them though. Sorry I have no pictures, My batteries were dead and I forgot to replace them before I skinned it last night.
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Nice work. After it was spotted, how did you go about calling it in? Were you using standard 22LR or 22Mag rounds? How far was your shot? Congratulations, sounds like you had a great day with your kids.

Way to go Fishfool, whata thrill!
    I bet your kids are chompin' at the bit to get their chance.

called first for awhile, then was going to quit when the kids spotted it. I shot it at about 30yds with a 22lr
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Good job Andrew... glad to see ya out with the kids. How are the Caribou doing? still leaning on the guardrail chewing their cuds?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Congrats Andrew, and great to get out with the kids.

Never seen a .22lr do that kind of damage on anything. Come to think of it, I can't say I've ever seen one exit anything as large as a fox, even the high velocity ones.

That is shocking that a .22lr did that kind of damage. My .22mag doesn't leave that kind of hole, but I'm shooting FMJ's this season too. The Hornady V-max's do decent if they get into the mass of the animal. If they're low or off though, they can leave a good size hole where they explode. What kind of ammo was it that you used Andrew?

they were A Remington load 33 grain I believe at about 1500 fps. they had a brass jacket, not copper. The rounds both impacted bone, but held together for the most part. One went through the shoulder, one through the spine just behind the shoulder. Both were a about 1 inch high. because I am sighted in at 75 yds. I wish I wish I had taken a picture, the exit wounds almost touched with about 2-3 mm of skin between them. the amazing thing was even with all that damage the fox didn't want to die, when I walked up to him he bit the end of my gun. I felt bad, as usually It is a one shot deal with almost instant death. But I missed the lungs. I am going to adjust my sighting down to 50yds. stupid mistake, but the high velocity rds had a much flatter shooting trajectory with only 4in. drop at 100 yds. Live and learn I guess, I just don't like anything suffering because of my mistakes. even if it is only for a minute or two. I am going to stick with the solid bullets from now on for fox.

Quote Originally Posted by akfishfool View Post
    the amazing thing was even with all that damage the fox didn't want to die, when I walked up to him he bit the end of my gun.
    the fox i shot took two shots to kill. only my fox tried to KILL me. i walked up on the darn thing and it was snapping at me, it even niped my leg. one shot kills are not always reality. thats just how it works. dont beat yourself up about it.

I am impressed that your 22 was able to cause exit wounds. I had never shot a fox till recently and used a Ruger MKII 22lr pistol and shot it at 15 feet using CCI Stingers. Found two bullets just under the skin on the exit side, that convinced me not to shoot at anything bigger than rabbits or birds at any distance past rock throwing range.

Congrats on getting a fox and having your kids out there experiencing that with you!

bronco, I use my ruger MKII as well sometimes but you will get a much lower velocity out of a pistol, than a rifle. The rifle I was using is just a Ruger 10/22, Also the Stinger rounds are ones I have stopped using, as I am unhappy with there performance. I think they are too light, and the bullet construction seemed to always be lacking, as they would come apart on me as soon as they hit anything hard like bone.

I agree fishfool. I like plain ol' 40grs with a round nose. Call me old fashion.
    However, I would like to try the 60gr Aguila SSS. I think that would be a great bullet from a pistol or rifle., with the sub sonic flight improving accuracy.

congratulations on the fox and a good outing with the kids. that is pretty impressive damage for a .22lr. have any of you guys ever tried the .17 hmr? i small game hunted with a .22lr for years but i think my .17 has taken its place.

However, I would like to try the 60gr Aguila SSS. I think that would be a great bullet from a pistol or rifle., with the sub sonic flight improving accuracy.
    Unfortunately that's not the case. The larger bullet and subsonic decreases stability. A different twist rate from the standard 22lr is needed.