Thread: Hewewcraft Sea Runner's

Default Hewewcraft Sea Runner's

Hi gang, my current "daydream" boat is a Hewescraft Sea Runner in either 18 or 20 foot length. Does anybody have one of these and if so, how do you like the boat? We don't live in AK but have a place in Sterling, so use of the rig would be maybe 5-20 days a year: running around on Peninsula lakes (my brother likes water skiing & cruising, I like to fish so I'd use it out of Deep creek, Seward, Homer. I really like the extended transom bracket/option, as it helps keep the ocean out of the boat! I know bigger is always better, but I want to be realistic. Saw on Hewescraft site they had 115 Yamaha's powering their rigs, wonder if a 150 would be better with a kicker, or go with twin 50's or 70's?? I think cost of twins would be higher or not?? Wonder if you could get twin tanks in those models if going with twin outboards??
    If anyone thinks a different brand of boat is preferable, by all means please let me know! Don't know if we'll ever get one, but who knows? I appreciate any feedback on these types of rigs, Hewescraft or not.
    Thanks,
    Jim

I have a hewes 26' and love it. I have twin 115. My cabing is the extended and comes in handy. You will like it
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have a 22' Searunner Ocean Pro hardtop and love it. I have a single Yamaha 150 with a Yamaha 8HT kicker.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I have a hewes 26' and love it. I have twin 115. My cabing is the extended and comes in handy. You will like it
    Gary, I'm in discussions with Dan @ Dewey's right now on a 26'. What's your feel on the twin 115's? Any thoughts on going to either a single 250 with a kicker, or even twin 150's?

I'm concerned that 230hp might be light with 5 large people plus gear for a weekend.

Thanks,

John

Default Big Jim

With help and advice from this forum, last July, I picked up a Hewes 220 Searunner ET Hard Top, w/150 HP Yamaha OB and 8 HP kicker, from Deweys. It is bullet proof out in Prince William Sound. You'll notice that other boats have nicer amenities, but you'll pay for them as well. Deweys rigged it up quickly and perfectly for me. This forum talked me into putting a 150 on it, rather than the 115 it is offered with. I am grateful for that.

My only regret is that I wish I had gotten a boat with a cuddy cabin (for more comfort on overnighters), and a stand up head (for mama). Next boat, maybe.

Pretty valuable info, guys. I know the trend is towards bigger rigs, but we're not up there that often; and the boat's gotta be versatile and easy to tow (Sterling to Seward, Homer, etc.) Does anybody got a 18-20 soft-top version? Thanks for all the info again,
    Jim

I have a 19 ft Sea Runner Softop with a 140 Suzuki and a 9.9 Suzuki on the back of it. I like it a lot. I mostly run out of Whittier, with an occasional trip out of Seward. If you get in big water with a boat that small you have your hands full. I was out in some last year, and some waves were crashing across the bow. Other than that the boat is awesome. With that 140 on the back smooth water and WOT I can get above 40 MPH.

I have an 18' sportsman with the soft top. I really like it. I take it pretty much anywhere I want to go, just have to be careful in the rough stuff, some days it is too rough. I bought it from Dewey's, they did me right. I also really like the yammi outboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Hotel View Post
    Gary, I'm in discussions with Dan @ Dewey's right now on a 26'. What's your feel on the twin 115's? Any thoughts on going to either a single 250 with a kicker, or even twin 150's?

I'm concerned that 230hp might be light with 5 large people plus gear for a weekend.

Thanks,

John
    If you can afford it go with the 130's or 150's. The 115 will do the job just not as fast
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Hotel View Post

Thanks,

John
    Just remember that you should keep your engine loading to 25#/hp ideal, and 40#/hp max. Hence 230 hp would be good for a gross weight (hull, engines, fuel, crew, gear, everything) of 5750# ideal and 9200# max. With the max loading the engines will really be working to get you up on step, and will be pretty much WOT at cruising speed. At ideal loading you pop right up on step, and can cruise at ~2/3 throttle ie ~4k rpm where you get your best mileage.

The only reason to run twins is if you'll have large enough motors so that one engine can bring the boat up on step, and hardly anyone puts that much power on the transom. If the engine isn't that big, then you burn more fuel than a large single, have higher maintenance costs (double the number of pistons, double the oil changes, double spark plugs, etc), and have a really expensive kicker when one of the twins conks out.

Another reason is the comfort reason. having twins gives you a sense of security incase one goes out.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Hewes

I use to have a 16 foot sea runner, great boat! When I got it initially I got a 35hp on it because it was the only thing you could run on the Kenai (there were cams that could push it up to a higher HP though when you were not on the river). It was completely under-powered for the job so we moved up to a 60 and that was a lot better.

Never had a problem with that boat, rode well in rough waters in Ressurrection Bay - took it as far out as Cape Akilak, up Wells Passage and down Culross in PWS.

I too am an out of stater with lots of boat dreams and spend about 20 days a year in AK, mostly out on the sound - I'd go bigger if you can do it; 22 if you can swing it.

Default My old 20' Alumaweld

I used to have just what you are looking for, except it was an Alumaweld Intruder with an Evinrude 115. It was great for running around out of Whittier and Seward. The boat was light and easily trailerable (not sure if that is a real word). It easily carried four people and gear for camping. The 115 was more then enough but of course a 150 would have been better but I was already cruising at about 28mph with the 115.

We were in some 4-6 foot waves coming back into Whittier one day and the boat did awesome. I think it could handle a lot more than I was willing to.

I sold it and a couple of years later bought a hardtop Searunner which unfortunately I just sold.

If you have access to the base I would check there periodically as boats usually come and go. Also don't forget to check craigslist. Happy boat hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskariverguy View Post
    If you have access to the base I would check there periodically as boats usually come and go. Also don't forget to check craigslist. Happy boat hunting!

Nothing on Elmendorf right now.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK