Thread: Foundation Work and Cabin Moving

Default Foundation Work and Cabin Moving

We are thinking about putting a proper foundation under our cabin instead of the piers we have it on now. Options include jacking it up in place and doing the foundation before lowering it back down or building the foundation at a nearby location and then moving the cabin on top of it. Does anyone have any recommendations for contractors in the Wasilla area that do this sort of work?

We want to increase the space so will want a finished walkout basement which means concrete blocks and a poured floor.
    Thanks,
    Jim

First where is the cabin located as that will determine who would do that kind of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    First where is the cabin located as that will determine who would do that kind of work.
    And second how big is the cabin.........? Another idea is to build a new cabin 12' away, and join them.

Having been there. It is about 20X36, log with loft, mile 17 KGB give or take a few miles.

Jim,
    That is a great idea! It would look awesome, be very comfortable and spacious too! Deford Masonry did an awesome job on my buddies 1/2 basement under his log home. Trail at AMAQ for excavation is nearby.
    Mike
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Mike,
    Thanks for the feedback. I talked to Trail at Ameq and he sounds like he will be a good contact. It looks like Greenstreet Construction in Palmer are the go-to guys for large structure moving in the valley.

I'll let you know when we start doing the finishing work
    Jim

How deep can you go on into the hill with the slope you have to deal with. Septic for the bottom floor? Be nice to have some windows toward the back too, even if small.

When it comes to basic landscaping, topsoil, rototilling, leveling etc, I have a buddy close that does good work and has references in your area.

I forgot about Darryl at Greenstreet. He has a good hand, name of Conrad. Can he just lift it up in beams and slide it out of the way until the foundation is done, then put it back?

Mike
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Mike, WTH is with your avatar? Looks like you just came off a hard night of drinkin at LL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Mike, WTH is with your avatar? Looks like you just came off a hard night of drinkin at LL!!
    It's ZOMBIE WEEK!!!!!!!!
    Bill Hicks

We are moving forward with the planning phase of this project and found a guy that can do the foundation work and cabin moving. Part of the reason for this is so we can have year 'round water but I don't want to be locked into having to heat it during the winter if I decide not to.

One of the questions is what type of heating system to install. The garage has in-floor heat but that wouldn't be a good solution if we just wanted to heat it for the weekend. I am thinking maybe a properly sized Toyo stove in the bottom level that I could call up on the phone to turn on. Does anyone have any experience with something like this or any other suggestions? We have the woodstove on the main floor and I may think about another one on the lower floor but something that will pre-heat would be nice.

The other thing I am thinking about is having bringing the water main into a well insulated utility room and doing the plumbing so that I can blow it down with a compressor easily in the same room. I could heat the utility room for a fraction of the cost of heating the entire structure and we could then just heat the cabin up, turn on the water for the weekend but blow it down and dump some anti-freeze in the drains when it was time to go home. Does that sound like a feasible plan?