Thread: arrow weight/KE question for Brown Bear

Default arrow weight/KE question for Brown Bear

I have a Kodiak hunt planned this spring for Brown Bear. I plan to use a Mathews Monster set at 75 to 80 lbs pushing a total arrow weight of 490 grains at about 300 fps with a KE of about 100 ft lbs. I plan to use easton FMJ tipped with a 100 gr. COC 4 blade Razortrick. I feel my setup should be more than adequate but I'd value the opinion of those of you who have successfully taken a Brownie with a bow. Do you feel your setup was adequate or would you have went more or less in ref to draw weight, arrow weight, KE, etc? Of course I plan to discuss my setup with my guide here in the very near future and listen to his advice and opinion as well. Thanks for sharing any advice or opinions you may have and I'd love to see a pic of your Bear if you care to post it.

I haven't shot a brown bear, but a close friend of mine has and I did some work on his bow right after he shot it. Surprisingly, when I worked on the bow it was only drawing 56# at 28" of draw. It was a Mathews SQ2 and he was shooting Gold Tip arrows with a 100 grain Stinger broadhead. Around 380 grains if I recall correctly. I doubt that arrow was over 250 FPS. The bear was in the 9 foot class with a 25" skull and it died quickly with a total pass through.

I think your setup is totally adequate. I would make sure you can draw that much weight, fully clothed in rain gear, after sitting outside in freezing temps for 5 or 6 hours, from any position you can imagine. Big bears have been killed with far less KE than you are throwing out.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

AkDoug,
    Thanks for your post and you make a great point about the draw weight, being cold ,and wearing rain gear. I may just end up keeping the bow at 70# which should still be very adequate. I do plan to practice from every concievable position while wearing my hunting clothing. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I haven't shot a brown bear, but a close friend of mine has and I did some work on his bow right after he shot it. Surprisingly, when I worked on the bow it was only drawing 56# at 28" of draw. It was a Mathews SQ2 and he was shooting Gold Tip arrows with a 100 grain Stinger broadhead. Around 380 grains if I recall correctly. I doubt that arrow was over 250 FPS. The bear was in the 9 foot class with a 25" skull and it died quickly with a total pass through.

I think your setup is totally adequate. I would make sure you can draw that much weight, fully clothed in rain gear, after sitting outside in freezing temps for 5 or 6 hours, from any position you can imagine. Big bears have been killed with far less KE than you are throwing out.
    Couldn't agree more - great post. The only thing I'd add is to make sure you have a trustworthy back-up plan with a steady aim and powerful gun. It's better to be safe than sorry.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Agree check draw weight and go for something you can pull back hold and shoot accurately, shot placement is key, not how fast your bow shoots, or how much weight you pull back, I am sure there are alot of bears taken i the past by bowhunters who shot alot less bow, but all successful hunter have 1 thing in common.... shot placement and accuracy, Good Luck

And be able to draw smoothly from a sitting position with your legs out in front of you. It may happen.

As far as your KE setup, you'll be over-bow'd, if there is such a thing!

Taylor

Shoot the weight you normally shoot, don't crank it up. I use ~65lbs, shoot 420ish grain arrows and 4 blade 125 grain slick tricks and I've taken the wind out of moose, grizzly, bison, musk ox and brown bear with this set up.

My brown bear was an old 7.5' sow. I wanted to get one with the bow pretty bad, so I took the first opportunity I had with this one. Shot from about 10 paces (full pass through) and she didn't make it very far. Next time around I'm holding out for a big boy.