Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Forum; internet safety

  1. #1

    Wink Forum; internet safety

    This issue has always been something I am conscious about when posting on the forum; My brother-in-law and I got on this forum when it was small, met some of the guys on it and became friends with some, it's been great. Now it has grown beyond just Alaska and has a huge following, it even gets the spam threads occasionally, it's big time!
    What I try to do when posting (and no offense to everyone), is to be very vague about my trips; when I'm going, what is in my boat, where it is, etc, etc. You never know about the crazy people who are NOT boaters "casing" the forum for info on people. I don't post a picture of my boat or actually mention what size it is, only that it is a Sea Sport and is getting a new motor. I am cautious about mentioning when I am going on a trip, you just never know who could be out there working the forum like a puzzle to figuer out, who, what, where, and when.

    Be safe and smart, don't advertise opportunities for crooks.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    This issue has always been something I am conscious about when posting on the forum; My brother-in-law and I got on this forum when it was small, met some of the guys on it and became friends with some, it's been great. Now it has grown beyond just Alaska and has a huge following, it even gets the spam threads occasionally, it's big time!
    What I try to do when posting (and no offense to everyone), is to be very vague about my trips; when I'm going, what is in my boat, where it is, etc, etc. You never know about the crazy people who are NOT boaters "casing" the forum for info on people. I don't post a picture of my boat or actually mention what size it is, only that it is a Sea Sport and is getting a new motor. I am cautious about mentioning when I am going on a trip, you just never know who could be out there working the forum like a puzzle to figuer out, who, what, where, and when.

    Be safe and smart, don't advertise opportunities for crooks.
    You want to read of some horror stories, go to rv.net forums and read of it. Those regulars there that use their real names and towns, tell of when and where they are going rv'ing and how long they are to be gone....huh....then they come home to a empty house....
    Many don't realize that a crook can google up your address with your name and town. Some crooks, might also be your neighbor...keep your pie hole shut about what you do in your private lives or expect to be suprised once in awhile.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3

    Default

    I really never had any thoughts along that line, GOOD ADVISE, although since I am the only boater in my imediate family they are going to have to get by the dog, then my wifes 308 and as they leave with their loot (which probably isn't worth their effot) hope the neighbors, which happen to be family, don't decide to unload on them.

    None the less you have put it in my mind.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    You never know about the crazy people who are NOT boaters "casing" the forum for info on people. I don't post a picture of my boat or actually mention what size it is, only that it is a Sea Sport and is getting a new motor. I am cautious about mentioning when I am going on a trip, you just never know who could be out there working the forum like a puzzle to figuer out, who, what, where, and when.
    We've been watching you Myers. Just waiting for the moment. Keep your night light on buddy. Bwahahaha!
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

  5. #5
    Member GrizzlyH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    574

    Default

    Yep, good advice. The internet has become a very successful tool for crooks.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

  6. #6

    Default

    I agree, no one needs to live scared just use common sense. An ounce of prevention is worth ...... you know the rest.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

  7. #7

    Cool

    ...and watch out for Doug from Anchorage a forum regular, he sold his boat so odds are he might be hiding in yours right now waiting for spring!

  8. #8
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    Yep, good advice. The internet has become a very successful tool for crooks.
    Speaking of that, it sure is nice not seeing all of those political ads on the forum as of late!

  9. #9
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,426

    Default

    Great advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  10. #10
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    There is definetly opportunity for those that want to take advantage of others.

    This really came to light a couple of months ago when I was reading about a post on here and the member talked about a unusual caliber rifle he had recently aquired.

    I checked his profile on AOD just to see.................no personal info was listed.

    Because I was curious about the rifle I did some research on the net and found the same rifle posted and recently sold on another forum in the lower 48.

    So as I was perusing thru those posts I learned where the guy worked and some other details..................it was weird, obviously the poster felt ok to divulge that info on a lower 48 site (as I would), thinking what the heck.............

    Now this particular caliber was truly odd, if it had been a 338 or 30-06 there would have been so much info, that it would have been impossible to look at them all.

    It sure made me realize how connected we are and how accessible info is on the net......
    ďNothing worth doing is easyĒ
    TR

  11. #11

    Default

    GUN SAFES

    Here's one for ya'; My folks know some people who got all their guns stolen from their house while the guns were in the safe -bolted to the walls and floor. Safes (more than one safe) gone!

  12. #12
    Member breausaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    830

    Default

    This is a subject I have never really thought about, perhaps it is because my house has security cameras front and back that record to the internet, and there are the neighbors who park their vehicles in my driveway when we are out. Then there is the dog that stays in the house and comes and goes through his own wireless secure dog door; he doesnít like strangers. Of course the neighbors come over and feed him twice a day when we out, we thank them by keeping their freezer stocked with shrimp and fish.
    We sleep comfortable on the boat.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.


  13. #13

    Default

    More crime stories;

    Last month came home and my neighbors Escalade was sitting on cinder blocks, no rims, no tires. Alaska Sales and Service got the same treatment on 27 of their rigs. My neighbor's was done around 8:00-9:00pm with everyone home. The crazy thing about this, not one mention in the paper or news and this was verified by a autoshop down the street. Anyone hear about this?
    Oh yeah, and my neighbor supposedly has cameras also, but I wonder what's up with the cameras and where's the pictures?

    I've never been on Facebook or even looked it up, but it seems that's where the people that think blabbing about themselves to the world is worth the risk of getting violated, be it identity or belongings. I have heard of people blabbing about there vacation and where they are going to be going. How about the photos, the background giving away an address or location?

  14. #14

    Default

    I think being secure is a matter of choice. Myself, I don't take any more precation than the next guy. It's not like I leave my front door open either. I live simple enough and don't worry too much about things. It's served me well for the first 47 yrs, I expect it will continue for the second. If somebody wants yer sh** bad enough, they'll find a way to get it regardless of internet exposure, cameras, dogs & neighbors. That's my take on it. For their sake, I better not catch'em in the act. I sleep good too!
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

  15. #15
    Member breausaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    More crime stories;

    I've never been on Facebook or even looked it up, but it seems that's where the people that think blabbing about themselves to the world is worth the risk of getting violated, be it identity or belongings. I have heard of people blabbing about there vacation and where they are going to be going. How about the photos, the background giving away an address or location?
    I do Facebook on occasion, I believe itís safe if you set up your security settings correctly and donít put all your personal data on there. It is a great place to stay in touch with family and friends, but you have to use your head. If you get the security setting right only people you invite as friends can look at your pictures and stuff, problem is if someone hijacks a friendís Facebook account your toast. There are other pit falls with Facebook like accepting digital gadgets, accepting usually means relinquishing your personal data.
    I do agree some people have way too much confidence in social networking websites. Sooner or later itís going to come crashing down around these people who put way too much personal data on web sites.

    Oh yea, the cameras arenít for crooks there to keep the neighbors honest.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.


  16. #16
    Member jkb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,466

    Default

    There's a guy on this fourm got robbed after posting directions to his house. Then in other posts talking about toys and work schedules. Be careful what you post on main fourm.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

  17. #17
    Member GrizzlyH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    There's a guy on this fourm got robbed after posting directions to his house. Then in other posts talking about toys and work schedules. Be careful what you post on main fourm.
    Here's what I recommend to you all, even from this forum and folks you think you know. Tell them to reach you in a PM and then they can call you from a non blocked landline phone number that can be tracked by phone number to the phone owner. I'd never do dealings on a cel phone. Never post your number on the site and especially your address or where the item is your selling. Alot of grey areas here too, just be careful how you read people when selling your items. If any of you have ever used Craigs list, you'll know what I'm talking about.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

  18. #18

    Default

    As with everything online my rule is to use common sense and personal discretion while maintaining a certain level of anonymity - even then, you can get burned. I agree with GrizzlyH; deal with a home phone number at first, it can confirm a home address and is easier to track, if you so desire. It's also a good idea to not invite anyone to your home until you've met with them a few times and come to know and verify they can indeed be trusted. I've met a number of people from these forums - some I knew in my personal life and had no idea they posted here, and other's that range from new acquaintances to good friends and hunting partners. So far, so good.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

  19. #19
    Member markopolo50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fenton,Michigan
    Posts
    838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    Here's what I recommend to you all, even from this forum and folks you think you know. Tell them to reach you in a PM and then they can call you from a non blocked landline phone number that can be tracked by phone number to the phone owner. I'd never do dealings on a cel phone. Never post your number on the site and especially your address or where the item is your selling. Alot of grey areas here too, just be careful how you read people when selling your items. If any of you have ever used Craigs list, you'll know what I'm talking about.
    Speaking of boats and Craigslist, I just responded to a boat for sale on CL. It was listed close to my place and seemed like a good deal. Emailed and the feller said the boat was in Florida and he was working in Arizona???? Why would anyone list a boat in Florida on a Michigan site??? I reported to CL but no response yet. Beware....

  20. #20

    Default

    I've seen this too. There are dealers (some legit, some not) that will contact you to sell your CL item then they will re-list it for you in multiple cities they feel is a market. I had a guy call and offer this to me when i sold my last boat, but knowing most want to see it in person I declined. The guy did everything to secure the deal and they even have their own website to draw more attention to your item (they get a commission, you get money before you release your boat) If I lived in Michigan I would use their service with today's economy, in Alaska it doesn't make much sense.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •