Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birchwood price increase

Default Birchwood price increase

Does anyone know why Birchwood shooting range upped there price to $20 per shooter? It seems a bit excessive, but I guess they got you by the b@//$. where else are you going to go. Rabbit creeks out of the question, way to far to drive. Last time I was at rabbit creek range. The range masters were a couple of yahoo's that were rude. Oh and your not allowed to shoot at human Silhouette targets, on the hand gun range. What's up with that? Birchwood seems to get plenty of business. I would buy an annual membership, but I'll be leaving this great state come this summer. Can someone shed some light on the price increase??? Thanks

General increases in all things, thats why fees have been raised

A big factor in the cost of operating a public shooting range is the cost of insurance. I'm guessing BRSP got hit with a rate increase.

I was told the rate increase was an effort to encourage folks to purchase annual memberships (the price of an EPM didn't go up), and increase the the sense of personal ownership of the range. People tend to take better care of stuff when they have a financial interest in it. The person I talked to said there was a fair amount of mistreating/abuse of range equipment, and the rate increase was an attempt to curb to these events.

To bad they don't do monthly membership. What kind of misuse and abuse were people doing? I never see any craziness going on when I'm there. Everyone is polite and follows the rules. I did see someone shoot a pumpkin once though, however it was organic. Guess I'm going to just have to suck it up pay the annual membership price. And try and shoot all I can in the next 6 months.

Default Reasons for Daily Rate Increase at Birchwood Shooting Range

It has been 13+ years since the last increase in the daily range fee. That time it went from $7.50 to $10.00, if I recall correctly. Since then, the cost of liability insurance has gone up by 500%, the cost of fuel for the maintenance vehicles has tripled, the costs for the lumber used to make target stands has more than doubled. The cost of heating fuel for the range office and clubhouse has tripled.

I realize that a doubling of the fee is a hard pill to swallow, and I hate that it may discourage young shooters, and our military folks to some extent, but the range has been losing money for the last three years, as I understand it. I talked at some length with the new range manager about it. The range is a non-profit organization, and nobody is profiting from it. I compare a day of shooting with a day of skiing, and it seems fairly even as far as the amount of fun, the infrastructure and maintenance needed, etc.

Here is the deal on the annual memberships, which I have long felt were a good way to go for me: General Exclusive Park Membership (EPM) costs $175 for a full 12 month year. It includes access to the range for the member, the member's spouse, and the member's children through the age of 16. Shooting hours for EPM's are from 8:00 a.m. through 10:00 p.m., seven days a week, 52 weeks a year. There are range lights on one rifle range, and one pistol range, which may be utilized by EPM's only. An electronic gate key is issued to allow access into the range for the EPM. The only other cost for shooting for EPM's is the $5.50 per round (25 birds) charge at the shotgun ranges. All members must belong to the NRA.

The cost for the annual membership is $125 for members 62 years and older, and for active full-time military personnel.

Rifle and Pistol Range hours for daily use are from 10:00 a.m. until dark (about 4:15 p.m. right now), Wednesday through Sunday. Once the days get longer, the rifle and pistol range will close at the regular hour of 5:30 p.m. I am not as familiar with the shotgun range hours, but I believe it is closed to daily shooters on Fridays.

If any of the Forum members have any questions, you can pm to me, and I will be glad to find answers for you if I don't know them. You can also call the Rifle and Pistol Range office during open hours at 688-3967, and the Shotgun Range office at 688-2809 during their open hours.

Best Regards,
    Jim

Is the annual membership a calendar year (Jan-Dec) or a 12 month period?

It runs for a year from the date of issue.

So down here we can shoot on DNR is that true up there as well?

Quote Originally Posted by kantill View Post
    So down here we can shoot on DNR is that true up there as well?
    No, the federali's don't let Alaskan's use their land freely like they do in every other state.

My jaw hit the floor when I went shooting the other week and found out the cost! Talk about discouragement! I used to shoot a lot and was an EPM for 8 years. I love to shoot and used to do so every chance I had, but I can't justify paying the daily or EPM rates for a facility that hasn't improved in years. If up-keep/operational cost increases are the excuse today, what was the excuse years ago?

No need to pay the daily rate. Since you shoot a lot would encourage you to become an EPM member again.

What part of the range needs improvement? They have concrete benches on the rifle ranges, a roof over them, target stands, porta potties all over the place and distances to 300 yards.
    Tennessee

I'd be delighted to pay a paltry 175.00 to have access to a nice range that people haven't shot to pieces. But, in Fairbanks, no such luck.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Default $14.59 per month for EPM

Well, heck--I remember when a box of bullets for my 30:06 was $4.50. Can of powder was $7.25, primers one cent each. Premium gas for my 650 Triumph was $.26 per gallon. If I was going to get noisy about current pricing, it would be about the price of fuel in Alaska relative to the prices in the lower 48. As far as I am concerned, $14.59333333...... per month for the use of that great shooting range is a real bargain. It basically amounts to an average of about $5.00 per trip for me. It would not be cool to not have Birchwood Range, and I wouldn't want to miss all the EPM-only shooting time, either.

We all have the option to "vote with our pocketbooks". We can drive our vehicles less, invest in fuel efficient cars and insulate our homes, ride a bicycle or a motorcycle instead of our 4 wheel drive pickups on our commute any day when the weather allows it, keep using the old phone instead of buying the latest one, and stop going to the shooting range. (Please know that I'm not suggesting that we should stop going to the range, only that we can choose to if we feel strongly that the cost is too high).

Well, that's enough from me. I am going to pack up my stuff and go shooting.

Jim

I have a 175 Yard range for sale..............

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I'd be delighted to pay a paltry 175.00 to have access to a nice range that people haven't shot to pieces. But, in Fairbanks, no such luck.
    I'd be delighted to pay to have access to a nice indoor range run by the state. But in Anchorage, no such luck.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail1der View Post
    My jaw hit the floor when I went shooting the other week and found out the cost! Talk about discouragement! I used to shoot a lot and was an EPM for 8 years. I love to shoot and used to do so every chance I had, but I can't justify paying the daily or EPM rates for a facility that hasn't improved in years. If up-keep/operational cost increases are the excuse today, what was the excuse years ago?

Managers will always find ways to justify what they do, no matter how ridiculous, and I think the increase in costs is exorbtant.

It will, beyond a shadow of doubt, discourage LOTS of new shooters, and those who don't/can't shoot often, causing them to search for places along the highway to shoot.

There are LOTS of Gov't agencies that shoot there, taking over entire ranges, on Mondays and Tuesdays, at least. Possibly, they just don't NEED the public to shoot there. Not if they're making bucks offa the Gov't. However, in the long run, less shooters aren't a good idea for any range.

I've not noticed any Upkeep, myself. I'm aware that many of the facilities there have been donated by people that wanted to help, and support the range.

I did notice that they cut down the trees and brush betwixt the ranges, and made the place look like a bombed-out war zone for a while. They didn't even pick up the pieces of wood left by the Tree Eater. It isn't clear to me what that accomplished, except to make it less safe from richochets.

That gate wasn't installed properly. It is almost impossible to put your card close enough to be read, without getting out of your truck, AND recently a good bit of the time, it fails to work at all.

Sure, I don't know all the inner workings of the place, etc., but what I can see, gives me the impression that they don't really know what they're doin, or maybe even, don't care.

It just seems that charging $20.00 a day to the Public, and running them off, is not an approach that will solve any money problems they might have.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Perhaps opening the books to the public would make the increase more (or less) justified. Like any non-profit, I'd kinda like to know where my money goes.

Milo,
    Your 100% correct. I was thinking of joining, but now I'm very weary. I have been shooting there on and off for seven years. One year i was a member, but went to MVS. I've not seen alot of progress. Sure they've changed some things around a bit and put a
    new gate in, but that's it. More times than not; there is some private security, local, state, or federal government agency there
    shooting. They are not there shooting for free. If they are, and I was a member. I would deffanetly be pissed off. I would like to see the books too. Just want to know where my money's going. That's all

So... if you're there using a range, and some kind of organization shows up with a group... can they force you out of your range spot?

I don't shoot there that often (1-2 times a year), more out of curiosity than anything else..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast