Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wolverine sets--how??

Default wolverine sets--how??

I was hoping the knowledged guys onthis forum would share some info on how they set up for wolverines. I haver an area where I have seen tracks. any pics or web addresses would be great. I have heard of the canopy setup or a barrel set. I was plannin on using foothold #4 hewhouse longsprings. ANy help would be great for this new to the game guy.

I just caught my first (ever) in a bucket set with a 220, set for otter.

There u go make an otter set...catch a wolverine...Wish I knew where there were some otters...lol EBalaskas was a big female

Most people use 330's in a 5 gallon bucket for wolverine set up on the ground. put the bait in the back of the bucket with the 330 out front it works just like a marten set.

If you are going to use #4s I would be sure to use 2 of them at each set. They unbeleivable power and have had them pull out of #4s before if not caught in both. Have a small collection of toes from the ones that got away. I would have to say that the box sets are the way to go. I use plywood boxes with 330's they are great and always work no matter what the weather. Good Luck

I use a 280 in a bucket set with the bait at the back... I put a #4 infront of the 280 last year. when I returned I found the #4 tripped and off to the side.. I talk to the oldy moldys in the area and they all say foot holds are not the best, because they know of the foot hold and dig under it and just toss the trap to the side... I did not belive them until I found mine undone.

Another popular method I've seen pics, read about, and had guys that have used them describe them to me is set up just like a marten pole set using a big enough log to hack a flat spot on it and then anchor a 330 on it just up the log from the tree it is supported by. Bait as described was at least half a beaver carcass wired on to the underside of the log out at the end. This is a big set and if you can find a natural leaning tree or log, so much the better. Keep in mind that the end of the tree needs to be far enough off the ground to keep the vermin from getting to it. Boughs & such to keep the wolverine from jumping over the coni and to hide it a bit may have merit. Another detail would be a couple of traps of your preferred size set up in the snow under the bait end of the log. Might pick up a multiple catch that way. I'd be happy to use this method on my line if there were any wolverine about. Once in a blue moon one happens by. Guess I should just set it up and hope for the best.

Caught plenty of wolverine in footholds. If you really have #4 NEWHOUSE and not victor, then that is a good trap. MB650s and 750s are better.
    Snares are real good. Your in Juneau, trapping in trees? Make the lean pole set like Oz said, but use a snare. 8 in. loop, 7-8 in above tree. Bait at end. Make sure wolverine is hanging free of ground after catch.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I am in Juneau as well. I am shifting away from foothold guarded cubbies. The problem for me is the marten come and go until firing my newhouse. Then yous set is out of commision. I am guarding with 330's in my "natural cubbies" abd have a few bucket sets out. Bend the triggers up or push them to one side to let smaller critters come and go. Put a couple marten sets both N. and S. of the gulo set to try to intercept them. Good luck. BTW you know anyone setting up Bessie Creek by chance?

Default mad mike re bessie creek

pm sent to you

mike you can't receive pm's. so there are two guys in bessie creek that I have heard of. one is a coastie and the other is a carpenter. call me at home 500 9902 and I'll tell you more .

I am the "carpenter", you jerk. I am also the one you pm'ed for info on trapping in the Juneau area. I told you I was up said drainage, and you and Charlie decided to line-jump me anyway! He knew I was up there, and have been for over a decade. I taught his mentor, "Phil", before good 'ol Charlie was even in Juneau, and now that Phil is retired, poor Charlie has to rely on other established lines. Sounds to me like you two are pea's in a pod.
    You came to me on "the OTHER forum" asking for advice and a phone call. Well, I gave you both, and you will not answer my calls or messages. I have more for you, but will PM to you. Troopers are interested.
    Watch this guy. More to follow.

By the way, you might be interested in the Trapper's Code of Ethics, posted at the top of this page.
    I am very easy to contact, by the way. I hold the Trapper's seat on the Juneau/Douglas Fish and Game Advissory Commitee. Just ask for Barry. Ryan or Niel, at ADFG, have my #, as does Lt. Sharp at the Troopers.

Clearly the best thing to do would be haul a Alaska Flower Pot up there and bait it and put a 330 in it. Only if it were within a "courteous" 1/4 mile of my sets, eh?

Rossco, are you going to bother to respect local trappers lines. These guys including myself are 6- 10 years in these areas. You asked "where" and I was happy to tell you were I knew no one was using an accessable area. Oh well, you will find out for yourself.

He's jumping your area, too? Wow. I know one can "legally" set anywhere, if done legally, but what the? Must be one lazy guy.
    I'll pm you as to what the Brown Shirts are on to.

Sad thing, I would be happy to show how if I didn't have to show where. Guess it is kind of like the wild west.

I have new information that Charlie and rosscoak are not the "line-jumpers" I alluded to in a post above, and I apologize. I was given contradictory information, and retract any accusations.
    I now DO know who is "mis-behaving on "my" line, (including certain legal questions the Troopers will likely be asking), however.
    To rosscoak, good luck out there.

I know this will start a flame war and make many people not a fan of me, but hey, I'm just gonna throw it out there -

While I don't condone it, and think its pretty lame myself, there is nothing illegal about someone "line-jumping" you.

In fact, in regs it clearly states there is nothing illegal about the competitive taking of game...

I think some of the guys in Juneau should realize that while SE is a huge area, there are many people that don't have boats. That coupled with the fact that regulations on where you can trap are so much more strict here, leaves fewer areas for newer trappers to get into.

Claiming an area as "yours" I think is a bit lame, as I personally feel I have just as much right to do what I want there - That however does not mean I am going to come in and throw down traps right in the middle of your line. But may I hike a 1/2 mile or a little more from yours and throw some sets out? Sure, absolutely....

Just my $.02....

So would it be ethical to tromp thru my line to set 1/2 mile away? Sure but you had better bring a spare lung as you will be amongst goats. You have to realize there is not much usable land for us around here. Bottom line, respect others established lines and areas of historical usage. I myself wouldn't think of cutting anothers trail to set.. JMHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast