Thread: Pointer Friends! Potential Trialing

Thumbs up Pointer Friends! Potential Trialing

Hey, to all of those Field Trialers in Fairbanks and the interior who have to travel to Anchorage or Palmer for trials, how would you feel about bringing NSTRA trials to alaska?

This is just a thought, There are plenty of pro's and cons, I just want to hear from the General public what you think.

For those of you that dont know what NSTRA is it is the National-Shoot-To-Retrieve-Association. Basically, a Trial is very similar to actual hunting scenarios, you have a Brace-mate who is a competitor, and your goal is to pull up more birds than your bracemate in the half hour that your out there hunting. Points are awarded for First, Second, and third Place...eventually a CH is earned
    This System was originally founded for the hunter who wants to hunt in the off season. Very similar hunting situations Point-Flush-Retrieve- Hunt Very to the point, but can be very competitive.

so I want to know "from the General public" What are your opinions?

the website is www.nstra.org Take a look and tell me what you think.

(This isnt only for those of us in FBX who have to "commute" the NSTRA requires a minimum of 16 trials a year for each region, so those of you in anchorage, and surrounding think about it)

The Arctic Bird dog Association use to do something similar to NSTRA. It was sanctioned, I think it was The National Bird Dog Challenge, http://www.nbdca.com/ It had events for both pointers and flushers but it died out after a few years, I believe because of lack of interest and cost. They now do a Chukar Challenge out at Falcon Ridge as a fundraiser it isnt sanctioned just set up to have fun.

I used to run and Judge NSTRA in Montana and would love to see it here. I liked it better than the AKC Hunt Tests for pointers. It was lots of fun and provided another mini hunting season. My Britt was one placement away from a Championship.

When I Moved up to AK I tried to poll the Arctic Bird Dog Association (ABDA group) but found very little interest. I admit it was not a very aggressive poll. As soon as you say trial, it seems to scare people. Around here they are only interested in AKC Hunt Tests because the NSTRA titles are not recognized by AKC towards a "Dual Champion" and therefore it does not help you sell puppies. The exception is the NAVHDA, but again they are not associated with AKC and adding another item to the schedule doesnt work too well because everyone is so busy.
    I talked to NSTRA coordinators and got a laundry list of what it would take to get it going here. I do not recall it saying you had to have 16 trials per year. It might be true, but I thought that maybe we could talk to another region and join their chapter so we wouldnt be under such mandates as 16 trials per year. If there were enough folks interested I would be willing to share what I learned from NSTRA about starting up.

BTW....The Arctic Bird Dog Association does still do the chukar challenge for fun and training purposes. It is not sanctioned but does run with very similar guidelines. There are a lot of differences between National Bird Dog Challenge and NSTRA, at least from what I have seen.
    Last edited by Burke; 12-15-2010 at 21:25. Reason: spelling

I am interested -- in participating and helping out. Let me know.

Regards.

I think That Once it is started in AK, and we have the Hype It will be a Competitive Buzz, since there are so few Hunt tests available to those of us who like to hunt with our pointers.

But as you said Burke, Its getting those people up here to get into it. Right now I am talking to different regions, and different clubs to see if there is any interest in this. If not, well then I'll be ****ed if I dont create the interest.
    These are VERY fun to compete in, and watch. so we'll see... I may try to see if there is interest in sponsoring the trial with Land, ETC. so we may not see it here for another year or so, but we will see it!

For those that have Viewed this post, NSTRA trials are available to ANY pointing Breed, and Gun dogs that have earned a NSTRA CH are Listed on the above website for recognition.

Burke, as for the 16/year trials, it was told to me by another region, however that may be "region specific, and the same rules may not apply.

Kodyb, my interest in the NSTRA is due to the National recognition, and also because Driving to anchorage every weekend is not a possibility, so I would like to see more Pointing trials in Fairbanks. If NSTRA is in anchorage, then HEY thats great, more Trials and I would probably go to some, but my issue is that there a quite a bit less Performance events offered to us in Fairbanks...I would like to change that.

KyleMac- Right now the best way to help out is to gain interest, see if we have enough interest in Fairbanks/ North Pole/Delta/ ETC to run a Trial, so if you have hunting buddies Talk to them, any other pointer friends them too! Just refer them to the site above... This is essential a Trial for the Hunter that doesnt like to trial.

THANKS! Any more interest Let me Know!

I think we would need to include the Anchorage/Valley dogs and associated clubs in order to get it sanctioned and running. We might have to travel some, which I had to do in Montana as well. I drove literally from one end of the state to the other to run/judge NSTRA events. Some drives were eight plus hours...it helped that I could ride or caravan with others who had the same issue.

late notice but the Arctic Bird Dog Association is having a general meeting tomorrow night 7pm at Muldoon Carrs conference room....I will be sharing what NSTRA is and asking for thoughts on participation. If interested please come on down.

This type of trial be interesting to watch. I think I have seen them on Tv before.