Thread: Camp expierience required

Default Camp expierience required

Hi,

I've been wandering on how-to start my Alaskan adventure and there's a big chance i'll first have to relia on a tent, probably a artic oven tent. My expierience with camping outdoors isn't comparable with the camping in the alaskan outdoors, since the netherlands doesn't have any predators around. So some advice on camping in the Alaskan outdoors will be great!

My plan would be to purchase some affordable, remote property for building a small, but reliable cabin for winter time. Before this will be created, and livable, there will be several months i need to camp next to it. It would be dumb to get myself in trouble in this period, so some solid and safe advice couldn't hurt!

The region im considering(i've found land), is approximately 200feet south of Anchorage, close to kenny lake. If this is a dumb decision, just say so!, but i'll prefer some feedback why this isnt the smartest region, plan or start-off, so i know where to look next, update my plan, and so on.

Survivalist.

well,,, Kenny lake.. is not 200ft South of Anchorage.. it is actually 3.5 hour drive north at 60MPH .. and located in the copper basin..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    well,,, Kenny lake.. is not 200ft South of Anchorage.. it is actually 3.5 hour drive north at 60MPH .. and located in the copper basin..
    ait, my bad! But thats the place im talking about yes.

I've just had contact with the seller, and its still for sale, so theres a good chance ill end up there, therefore information will be more then welcome now! Like i said before, we'll probably start off with a artic oven tent and start building straight away. It is either gonna be two smaller cabins or one bigger one, till this stands we'll be operating from the artic tent, with a portable wire against wildlife encounters, mainly bear, close to camp.

Theres some issues with the visum and permits, that allow a non US citizen to stay for a longer amount of time. Unless you got a job offer, or relatives who can help you with the greencard. But my plan doesnt allow a 5day working week, cause thats just what im tryin to leave behind here. Offcourse there will be situations where moneys needed, but till that time im not aiming for any job, just survival. So therefore, this greencard is gonna be hard to get, and im not flying to and fro because of the expensive tickets. So for this problem im still looking for other options... I'll call the DNR, or something like this, sometime soon for some more information and options for my situation.

Survivalist

Have you considered trying buy remote property with a building or two all ready on it? It's pretty much a sure bet you buy something cheaper than you can build it.

The logistics of getting material to a remote site will be an issue also. Unless when you say "remote property" you mean on a gravel road. At least for me "remote property" means off the road system.

Have you looked at Alaska Remote Properties?

First, let me welcome you to the great state of Alaska.

Now as far as your plan goes. I would not be in a rush to pick the property out until you've seen the state. You should come here and look the country over. I would drive the entire road system looking for the general area I would like to live. This will take time and I know you're in a hurry to get going on your project BUT you may find somewhere you would like much better than Kenny Lake area. Alaska is a huge place so plan on taking your time. The winter weather can vary dramatically, decide up front what kind of cold you want to deal with and discard those locations right away.

Secondly, never buy any property sight unseen no matter what story you are told about what a good deal it is. Believe me there is ALWAYS another good deal right around the corner if one slips away. Be patient. If you are unfamiliar with an area do not buy property in the winter as that lovely snow covered meadow may just be a swamp in the spring and thats why the land is so cheap. Confirm how deep it is to water, the drainage of the soils of the property, legal access, restrictions on the property, etc. the neighbors in the area can be a good source for information as well as property/planning and platting division of the local government called boroughs here.

Thirdly, I would look for property that adjoins a large public land such as a wildlife refuge, park, national forest, etc. as that border will give you the feel of living on a larger piece of property and easy access to subsistence/survival hunting and fishing.

A survival piece of property requires seclusion, fuel (firewood), water (access to spring, lake or stream), and walking access to fish and game.

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    Have you considered trying buy remote property with a building or two all ready on it? It's pretty much a sure bet you buy something cheaper than you can build it.

The logistics of getting material to a remote site will be an issue also. Unless when you say "remote property" you mean on a gravel road. At least for me "remote property" means off the road system.

Have you looked at Alaska Remote Properties?
    Hi, i've been considering this, and indeed not to sure what to buy. Land often comes cheap, but the wood etc for building probably raises the expenses, so good point. And also, the artic tent, i need when there isnt any cabin on site, will cost some good money.

Im not looking for a lot on a gravel road, but to remote, without property or near road means i 've got a lot of supplies that need to travel with me by snowmobil or fly-in only, re-supplying will be tough. I'm aware of the remoteproperties website, i've found kenny lake also through this webpage! They've got a lot of other nice lots!, but some very very hard to reach so i dont know i've my experience will serve me right.

It seems i've to finance myself some more, so i can buy some kind of cabin straight away, and avoid unnecessary problems with building and expenses. Good points, and they make sense but it automatically means im not going anywhere within months.

I've also thought about coming round april/may, find a job for some months so i can look around in my free time for the best, personal best, location to buy. Whatevers gonna happen, i'll be going north eventually!

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    First, let me welcome you to the great state of Alaska.

Now as far as your plan goes. I would not be in a rush to pick the property out until you've seen the state. You should come here and look the country over. I would drive the entire road system looking for the general area I would like to live. This will take time and I know you're in a hurry to get going on your project BUT you may find somewhere you would like much better than Kenny Lake area. Alaska is a huge place so plan on taking your time. The winter weather can vary dramatically, decide up front what kind of cold you want to deal with and discard those locations right away.

Secondly, never buy any property sight unseen no matter what story you are told about what a good deal it is. Believe me there is ALWAYS another good deal right around the corner if one slips away. Be patient. If you are unfamiliar with an area do not buy property in the winter as that lovely snow covered meadow may just be a swamp in the spring and thats why the land is so cheap. Confirm how deep it is to water, the drainage of the soils of the property, legal access, restrictions on the property, etc. the neighbors in the area can be a good source for information as well as property/planning and platting division of the local government called boroughs here.

Thirdly, I would look for property that adjoins a large public land such as a wildlife refuge, park, national forest, etc. as that border will give you the feel of living on a larger piece of property and easy access to subsistence/survival hunting and fishing.

A survival piece of property requires seclusion, fuel (firewood), water (access to spring, lake or stream), and walking access to fish and game.
    First, thanks for the all this great information! I believe i've got a lot of other things to consider before purchase a piece of land, and i will, now.. so again, thank you

Im starting to consider buying a cabin instead of land, mainly cause the foolproof of shelter and the basic necessaries taken care of. I dont have to worry as much about wildlife, weather and other things when i've got a place for shelter, storage and some protection. But still, it would be best to first sightsee the property and region before completing the buy, your right there.

I've got a lot of thinking and considering to do again!

Default spam

I have got to think that an outdoorsman store would be best served by NOT spamming a major outdoorsman web site.

Sad thing is that if I was right, I wouldn't happen. Yet, it is, nonetheless.

This means I'm wrong.

I'd encourage you in the "get out there and start cheap" option vs. thinking you need to buy a cabin with your land.

Not sure how young and tough you are, but it is very real to go out in the bush with just the basics and start there.

For example I bought raw land and went out with a roll of Visqueen (that's plastic sheeting, I used reinforced stuff, very thick, strong)
    Cut down some Spruce poles, approx twenty feet long, stood them in a tripod, leaned others into the joint at top and erected a Tipi, then wrapped it in Visqueen. Secured with stapegun. Lived in it for 1 1/2 yrs while building cabin. (was working as fisherman on the coast seasonally so it needed to stay put while gone, it worked very well)

Very Sturdy shelter, Brilliant design concept for snowload/wind resistance, etc. eventually even had a small Woodstove inside, and lived in that thru a full winter slightly north of your prospective area. It worked great, was a heavy duty shelter with plenty of room, cost about $20 for the shelter.
    While I built a cabin of my own design, which I highly recommend as a
    huge part of Going Remote, build your own place, Camp tough while it is getting started.

Also the Wildlife, as in Bear Trouble, will not be nearly as bad as expected once you are there for a while and establishing presence, keep your camp very clean, stash your food very well, etc.
    When you leave for a while they will check your site but they'll not mess with you much if you are living and building there, by my experience.
    Just don't make any mistakes with your food stash OR just never leave any out there when gone

You can do it inexpensively to camp, once you are building, it will cost more than you expected but not outrageous if you are wise.

Some might suggest you need $50,000 to go remote in AK, I bet my entire project came in less than $5000. (Had good timber on the land, built with logs, walked out there, no snomachines, ATV's etc.) Just a good Chainsaw, basic tools and LOTS of Hard Work, "Good For Ya"
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by Survivalist View Post
    Not to hijack this, but I'm looking for maps like this of the state of Alaska, and smaller sections of the state. Anyone know where I can find them?

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Not to hijack this, but I'm looking for maps like this of the state of Alaska, and smaller sections of the state. Anyone know where I can find them?

Thanks!

-Mike
    These folks should be able to help you Mike:

http://www2.gi.alaska.edu/services/geodata/

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post

Thanks!

-Mike
    Hi Mike,

Try Earth Explorer on the USGS website. http://edcsns17.cr.usgs.gov/EarthExplorer/

Be sure to click on the map mode, rather than the satellite mode. Satellite mode gives you a different version of google earth. The map mode will give you maps like the one posted above.