Thread: Kulukak River Float Hunt?

Default Kulukak River Float Hunt?

I am new to this forum, so please excuse me if something has already been posted on the Kulukak. My question is....does anyone have experiance float hunting the Kulakak River? The river is between Dillingham and Togiak. I have heard good things, but have not been able to find alot of information on the area, river, etc. I am considering this river for a 2011 float hunt for bear and moose. Any information you guys can offer on the river / hunting would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum

Found one older thread. PM the guys and see if they will drop you a line.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hlight=Kulukak

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I think a float hunt on the Kulukak will produce 200 fish....grayling, dolly varden char, rainbow trout and some salmon (depending on the timing of the salmon run), based on fishing experiences in many OTHER western Alaska rivers.
    I think you will have a shot oppportunity, or three (or thirty), at bears either on the river while they search for salmon or up on the tundra eating blue berries. The majority will be brown bears with an occasional black bear.
    I think the moose hunting will be poor. While it was really good 10 to 20 years ago, the entire area has experienced dramatic reductions in moose populations.
    Now I admit I have not hunted that specific river, but I have guided for 16 years near there. I no longer take moose hunters. While I still occasionally see a moose, I no longer see enough bulls to feel I can produce a shot opportunity for a client-hunter. There are better places producing more moose.
    Perhaps somebody who has experience on that specific river can send you a PM with additional guidance.
    dennis

Hey guys, thanks for the information! I will keep researching to see what I can find. With that many bears around, I don't blame the moose for getting out of there. Sounds like a good place to put down a Brownie!

This one is known for fantastic bear densities, in the bay in spring for the herring and eggs, and for salmon in the fall. Fishing is spotty for most resident species....but it supports a strong coho run in most years. Not sure if this area ever had much for moose numbers in recent history. Togiak had it's first season just a few years ago, and the herd in the Dillingham and western areas is a relatively new herd (40 years or so). If you want to do moose and bear both, there are much better options nearby if you are based out of king salmon/naknek.

For bear only, many of the rivers west of Dillingham are considered fantastic. The Togiak, and others offer lots of great camping and views. Plenty of safe and knowledgable air transporters and decent gear rental. But for bear, you can also look south, you are at the tippy top of the peninsula which is known to have some of the biggest bears outside of Kodiak....and you have plenty of transporters right there. You're only problem is actually having too many options. Don't belabor the decision too much, they should all be a great run with something unique about each. Have fun.

I fly the area every once in a while and the river flows throught the hills and there are thick patches of alder and willow with large open areas. Not much dark timber in this area and the river is fairly short. The tundra is extremely rugged and would be very difficult to pack 120 pounds on your back. I have seen a few bulls in this area, but they are away from the river, due to brownies, and in the hills and valleys. Sounds like a real adventure, but there might be easier more productive areas. I know there are some real smart people in DLG that would know and could set you straight.

Catch it - I agree....there is some great brown bear hunting south of King Salmon on the Alaska Peninsula. You get down around Port Heiden and there are some monster bears! Just don't think there are many moose compared to the Dillingham area? Maybe I am looking for that "Mythical" hunting spot that just does not exist? I will have to decide what my priorities ard and base my hunt area on that. Maybe I will head over to the Kulukak area this spring for a Brownie and then I can concentrate on a 70" moose for the fall!

Thanks for all the input. Keep the info coming.

Thanks

I used to guide fisherman on that river a while ago. The Silver fishing was awesome as well as the waterfowl hunting. As I remember there are only 2 commercial lodge outcamps permitted on the river. We very seldom saw other people up river, most were down by the bay and the lower tidal areas. As far as resident fish....when I was there we caught all species of salmon and dolly varden (big ones), but no rainbows,grayling,pike etc. Many times while cleaning fish I noticed the only species of fish that would show up for the chum were salmon smolt and sculpins. I always found this weird cause if you go in to the river systems on both sides of the Kulukuk there is really good fishing for resident species. There is LOTS of bears. I really did not see as many moose in that area as I thought I would, but thats compared to the Nushagak and Wood River Lakes. Rick Grant at Tikchik Airventures would be the person to talk with about this area. Oh yeah did I mention lots of bears!! Good Luck! It's a neat area.

What other river's over in that area should I consider other than the Kulukak? My main area of interest is Moose with Bear being a bonus. I am looking for the unpopular float river where I can go and not see many other hunters or powerboats. Any ideas?

my recomendation is call biolgists, if you place rivers on the internet they are going to become popular.

Yeah, I hear what you are saying Russp17 Don't want to give away all the good spots to the world!

Yeah I'm glad you didn't take that like I was being rude not what I meant, I just meant for mature bulls you have to get to the less traveled waterways. I would just email or call biolgists get areas with high moose densitys or high rates of mature bulls then study, study maps, look at river books, look at gradients of river to understand what you can do. Look at using smaller crafts to hunt side drainages that don't get hunted often.

How was your trip? I am scheduled for a brownie hunt at Kulukak Bay in May and wondering what to expect.

Bears are coming out of their dens in that part of the world right now. One has been harvested near the Kanik River last week. Should be a great hunt if you can find one that has a decent hide. There is a lot of swamp and water on the flats. I commonly see bears on the side hills eating the green grasses that are sprouting in May. One really needs a small raft to cross the Kanik River or the Kulakuk River. If you can do that, it will open up much more area. The Bay does not offer as much opportunity to hunt over winter whale or walrus carcasses, and less treasures to find on the beach compared to less protected areas. And, hopefully the herring season is not in full swing during your trip. Gets really busy near the beaches with all the boats and human activity. The bears are more apt to stay away from the beaches and up in the hills until darkness or the herring season is over. Good luck.

Got back from Kukulak Bay on Tuesday. Party of 3 Hunters took one boar about 9' he was with a really small sow. Saw one other boar all on the same day (day 2) and no others for the next 6 days. Beautiful area very rugged. Guess I'll use my tag later in the year!