Thread: Weekend plan....

Default Weekend plan....

Thinking about doing an evening run to Long Lake (along the Glenn) to try for some Burbot. Everything I have read says they feed in the shallows at night so that is my plan off attack.

Planning on heading up (from Wasilla) Saturday afternoon around 3 or 4, get the shack set up and fish till midnight or whenever.

Anyone with experience have any tips?

I think 900 is going to go with me so I have room for two more if someone feels like guiding some newbies for burbot.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I was gonna pm u till I saw that 900 was invited too...lol where u gonna try fishing? and what u gonna use?

Not sure....and not sure... Fishing in the dark I'm guessing something that glows would be helpful. From the regs it looks like bait is permitted so I'll probably bring along some herring if I can find any that looks fresh.

What else?

ps....if you want to come I'll tell 900 to meet us at Big Lake....it will be hours before he finds us!
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

whoa whoa! what did i do wrong? it would take me a sec to find ya cant miss that big ole mansion of yours.lol im good to go.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Quote Originally Posted by 900fusion View Post
    whoa whoa! what did i do wrong? it would take me a sec to find ya cant miss that big ole mansion of yours.lol im good to go.
    Nothing wrong 900....I just need to find a friend with a power auger!
    AKmud

Akmud, not sure about the fishing on Long lake as I do all my fishing up at Lake Louise but I can tell you I do quite well jigging a full herring and sometimes Krocks in both blue/chrome & green/chrome. I prefer the herring hands down as I jig for both lakers and burbut. I use a barrell swivel, 4 foot of leader and a 7/0 hook. Burbut do cruise the shallows at night but don't always go by that rule. I have more then one hole that is 15-17' that I catch alot of burbut out of and also an occasional lunker laker both at night as well as durring the day. Good luck!

haha! no feelings hurt. i would def say to find ome one with a power auger im still feeling it from the holes i drilled last weekend! i still bring my man powered auger just in case.

Mud, you can borrow my gas auger if you want. I just need it back by Tuesday. I can bring it to archery on Saturday if you want.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Nothing wrong 900....I just need to find a friend with a power auger!
    Speaking of that, I can't swallow the price tag for a power auger yet....how long does it take with a hand-jobber? I'm looking to get my setup more complete, but dont wanna drop a huge wad all at once....

I can get through 14-18" of ice in about a minute if I'm fresh....hole # 3 or 4 takes a bit longer Keep the blades sharp! Dull blades are a REAL bummer.
    AKmud

Not bad...where'd ya get yours? Under $50?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Speaking of that, I can't swallow the price tag for a power auger yet....how long does it take with a hand-jobber? I'm looking to get my setup more complete, but dont wanna drop a huge wad all at once....
    You will when March comes and there's 40 inches of ice. Lol.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Not bad...where'd ya get yours? Under $50?
    I don't remember....I think it was a Wal-mart special or maybe Fred Meyer. Make sure you get one with an actual auger and not the "spoon" type.

You will when March comes and there's 40 inches of ice. Lol.
    No doubt!
    AKmud

mud- whats the breakdown for this weekend, where do you wanna meet and is it just us or did you find more people to go. i broke down and bought a tipup, also have 4 burbot lines we can put out. got the bait. every thing is packed and ready to go.

You and me so far....unless someone jumps in before tomorrow. I'll PM ya with details later.
    AKmud

Hey Mud sorry havent been able to get back with you. I fired her up yesterday so she is running. Bad news is my wife is throwing a xmas party tomarrow and i wont beable to hook up with u till prolly monday. Shes got me hanging lights and(hold on while I look for my #alls) such sorry man but shes urs for the using if u like.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    my wife is throwing a xmas party tomarrow and i wont beable to hook up with u till prolly monday. Shes got me hanging lights and(hold on while I look for my #alls) such sorry man but shes urs for the using if u like.
    Hope you are talking about the auger!!!!!!!

I appreciate the offer Dube! I have another buddy offering me one for tomorrow so I should be good. Let me know when things slow down for ya.
    AKmud

right on buddy! talk at ya in a bit

I have a childrens christmas party tomorrow or else I would be in, as you come out of the cove at the front of long lake the area on the right around the quonset hut has a spring that comes in there burbot hunt at night by smell and hearing as much as sight I suspect they like the flowing water to help the find food so that area may be worth some prospecting.

Don't drive over there though the ice can be real thin even late in the year I broke the front tires of my wifes explorer through about six years ago but was able to get yanked back out from a really long strap and a couple other trucks was pretty interesting with the front end under water and the back sitiing in the air.

When on long lake or Byers lake where I can catch LT and BB I will jig the big crocs in silver and blue, or an airplane jig tipped with herring. There is one other luer I use but you will have to wait till we are on the ice together to get a look at it. I will take my other line and cut a willow whip about eight feet long and as big around as my thumb punch a hole in about ten feet of water then tie a hand line onto the six foot mark of the willow wip and place it in the snow at a 45 over the hole. Make sure that the line is attached to the whip so that when the burbot pulls the line down the whip stops on the hole.

I know that seems archaic, and I even have tip ups and tip downs but I always find this works better for burbot. When I am setting a bait rig like this for burbot I will use a three way swivel with a quarter oz or bigger sinker on the bottom leg and a half a blue label herring on a 10 inch leader 90 degrees to the main line, the heavy sinker on the bottom is to bounce up and down off the bottom, when the burbot smell mud stired up they come looking to see what they can eat.

There is also alot of sucker fish on long lake so if you have caught three of them and no other fish then move or else its just going to be a sucker fish kinda day.

Sorry for all the run on sentences not enough time to sit down and write somehting half way intelligent.