Thread: Wolverines

Default Wolverines

This is a new one, artical, ( www.newsminer.com )

Is there not an animal in alaska that is'nt on the list?

Sorry, just hadta...

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    This is a new one, artical, ( www.newsminer.com )

Is there not an animal in alaska that is'nt on the list?
    Read the article a little closer, it specifically states "The agency found the North American wolverine is a distinct population segment, separate from the populations of the species in Canada or Alaska."

It further said there are less than 300 wolverines in the lower 48. So if they added the North American wolverine to the list it would not include the Canada or Alaska species. 1. Wolverine.

So the "earth" is killing animals and we need to protect them from that? Interesting premise...

lol... they also brought up "global warming"

If indeed the CLIMATE CHANGE is going to negatively effect the wolverines in the lower 48, cant really be helped. I am actually wondering how they come up with that magical 300 number, if they can be sure there is 300, theres likely double that.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkbuster20 View Post
    lol...
    I am actually wondering how they come up with that magical 300 number, if they can be sure there is 300, theres likely double that.
    Really? Read it again. FWS "estimated in its report that there are 300 or less wolverines in the contiguous United States." I can only assume by their use of the word "estimated" that they are not "sure" 300 wolverines exist. I'm am sure whatever methods they used to get the population estimate is far more accurate than your guess.

if anyone is honestly interested in wolverine biology i recommend you check out "the wolverine way", by douglas chadwick.
    same guy who wrote "a beast the color of winter" about goats, and the wolverine book is every bit as good.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Wonder why they think the wolverine population is "distinct" to the lower 48..... Wonder if wolverines would cross the Canadian border into oh lets say Washington or Idaho or maybe Montana???? one of the relocated wolves was killed by a car all the way back in northern BC. Counting wolverine is laughable. they want them on the list for the same reason they want to keep the wolves on it even though the wolf population has far exceeded what they originally wanted. I am surprised they are using global warming on this one, with all the scientists coming out saying its the biggest fraud every pulled on mankind they would leave it alone.