Thread: Hot Spots?

Question Hot Spots?

As a new alaska resident and a relatively new pilot, I am trying to gather as much information as possible about where I can go hunting and fishing with my plane. I have a Piper PA-14 with many stol mods located at Merrill Field, but I am not (yet) capable of taking advantage of the good short field take off and landing capabilities of the plane. I don't have long range tanks and figure I have about 2 1/2 to 3 hours flying time (with lots of reserve) with a cruise speed of about 90 mph. I do not have tundra tires, hopefully this summer I will add them. I have heard and read about some caribou hunt possibilities, some silver salmon opportunities and some clamming possibilities, but specifics have been lacking (go figure ). The Alaska Airman Logbook was very informative, but seemed not geared to hunting and fishing opportunities. It would really be nice to get some more specific location information as well as finding someone to maybe show me some of the more popular places to go with a plane in Alaska.

Give me a PM or email. I can get you started. Been flying 35 years up here since I was 16, and have had a plane always since I was in High School. Used to hunt actively, but now I am flyfisherman only. I fished 130 days last year, and flew my -12 about 150 hours.

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by kcedar View Post
    As a new alaska resident and a relatively new pilot, I am trying to gather as much information as possible about where I can go hunting and fishing with my plane. I have a Piper PA-14 with many stol mods located at Merrill Field, but I am not (yet) capable of taking advantage of the good short field take off and landing capabilities of the plane. I don't have long range tanks and figure I have about 2 1/2 to 3 hours flying time (with lots of reserve) with a cruise speed of about 90 mph. I do not have tundra tires, hopefully this summer I will add them. I have heard and read about some caribou hunt possibilities, some silver salmon opportunities and some clamming possibilities, but specifics have been lacking (go figure ). The Alaska Airman Logbook was very informative, but seemed not geared to hunting and fishing opportunities. It would really be nice to get some more specific location information as well as finding someone to maybe show me some of the more popular places to go with a plane in Alaska.
    Hey, KCEDAR, give me an e-mail address. I flew, guided, hunted and fished Alaska for 35-years and may have some spots you could use. Drop me a note at mmasoncsi@aol.com.

I'll get right back to you -------------- with LOTS of information!

Regards,

Mort Mason