Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here hunts AK big game with a Stoner-designed rifle?

Default Who here hunts AK big game with a Stoner-designed rifle?

And any pictures to share of your black rifle? And what chambering, scope choice, and brand as well? Rifle specs and success stories are even better! I got a new AR-10 carbine that awaits a scope before off to the range. Depending on how my 7.62 shoots, I plan on using this AR-10 all of next year in my hunting quests.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Zackly, what IS, a "Stoner-designed rifle"????

Do they shoot rocks or something?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Eugene Stoner? No one of importance, just the creator of the AR/M16 style of rifles and one of the most successful rifle designers of the 20th century . . .

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Eugene Stoner? No one of importance, just the creator of the AR/M16 style of rifles and one of the most successful rifle designers of the 20th century . . .
    Don't you think that Browning has him beat 6 ways from Sunday?

I've never cared for the design myself. I think it was a huge mistake, and a tragic shame that it was forced on the Military in the first place.

Granted, as with anything, it was MADE to function well. Still, there is a huge difference in "Successful" and "Popularity", although the terms are often used interchangeably.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Sit down gent's, this is going to get good...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    He designed a lot of firearms. Anyway I hunt with and my walk'about firearm is 6.8 SPC in a Rock River AR-15.

I'm building a 6.8SPC to hunt with next year. Hopefully I'll have it done for spring black bear. Here it is, let me know if you want more info. Still working on what I'm going to do for optics and ammo.

Seems like someone has got cabin fever......Anyways, back to the original post. I just got one of those SW $799 Bushy 308 and is planning to get something with it this fall. It has been a good and reliable shooter so far. I topped it off with a Leupold 3X9 VX II and Burris Extreme Tactical extra-high 1" rings. Right now I am shooting 46.0 gr of RL-15 and the Hornady 150 SST but will find a good load for the Barnes 168 TTSX before hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    I'm building a 6.8SPC to hunt with next year. Hopefully I'll have it done for spring black bear. Here it is, let me know if you want more info. Still working on what I'm going to do for optics and ammo.
    Is that a Danials forend........???? Me like the 6.8 SPC for Man & Beast.

Quote Originally Posted by 480SRH View Post
    Seems like someone has got cabin fever......Anyways, back to the original post. I just got one of those SW $799 Bushy 308 and is planning to get something with it this fall. It has been a good and reliable shooter so far. I topped it off with a Leupold 3X9 VX II and Burris Extreme Tactical extra-high 1" rings. Right now I am shooting 46.0 gr of RL-15 and the Hornady 150 SST but will find a good load for the Barnes 168 TTSX before hunting season.
    480SRH,

I have a GA Precision AR-10 308 and I load 43.5 grains of Varget with a 168 grain Berger Hunting bullets and I am getting 0.39 at 100 yards. I haven't chronographed it yet, that'll have to wait until after the new year. AR-10s work (most of them) but they are not the most popular hunting rifle. I do like the 19 and 20 round magazines just in case there is a coordinated inter-species attack by mutant zombie game animals that target hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by MyTime View Post
    I do like the 19 and 20 round magazines just in case there is a coordinated inter-species attack by mutant zombie game animals that target hunters.
    Is it legal to hunt in AK with that many in the Mag? Some places I've hunted limit hunters to a 5 round magazine. Putting 5 rounds in a 20 round magazine is still illegal in those places.

yes except waterfowl under fed regs. We also don't have "shooting hours" except w/ migratory birds.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Is it legal to hunt in AK with that many in the Mag? Some places I've hunted limit hunters to a 5 round magazine. Putting 5 rounds in a 20 round magazine is still illegal in those places.
    LEGAL......Good God. who cares about legal......hell there are 2,000 pound Man'eating Brown Bears behind every bush, and every tree.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    LEGAL......Good God. who cares about legal......hell there are 2,000 pound Man'eating Brown Bears behind every bush, and every tree.
    Don't be silly, I wouldn't hunt Brown Bears with a water logged, frozen, rusted, full of mud semi auto, gas gun. All jokes aside, I understand your comment and agree about doing whatever it takes to survive.

I do hunt in AK with family AK residents and we fly out in a family owned float plane that we would not like to lose to the Feds for illegal hunting. Believe it or not the F&G has landed on lakes and checked our gear about about 50% of the time.

Down here in AZ 5 round mags is the law for hunting, I just wondering about AK. My gas gun is to heavy for hunting IMO. I had considered it for Caribou but changed my mind since my bolt 308 is five pounds lighter and more accurate.

1598.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MyTime View Post
    480SRH,

I have a GA Precision AR-10 308 and I load 43.5 grains of Varget with a 168 grain Berger Hunting bullets and I am getting 0.39 at 100 yards. I haven't chronographed it yet, that'll have to wait until after the new year. AR-10s work (most of them) but they are not the most popular hunting rifle. I do like the 19 and 20 round magazines just in case there is a coordinated inter-species attack by mutant zombie game animals that target hunters.
    I have considered the Berger also but am leaning toward the Barnes because I would take a brownie if I ever cross path with another. That GA presion sounds sweeeeet!

The one's here who hunt big game with an AR-10 are the ones with absolutely no taste in fine hunting arms. If I were to ever show up in hunting camp with one of those ridiculous and heavy things, I would have been the laughing stock of about 15 old Italian men who's only purpose in life is to seriously bust the bawls of the young uns.......relentlessly. I could only imagine the names I'd be called, and the severity of the jokes as the home-made wine started pouring in the evenings.

"The most successful rifle designer" my a$ $. Hey.......let's take hot, polluting gas from the barrel.....and blow it back into the reciever.....yayyyy!!!

Calm down Lujon.........we all know you love ur AR-15.

Guys are havin pretty good luck huntin "brown trout" with em though, and they appear to provide to that "niche market" quite well.........

Attached Images Attached Images

I've been looking for an original SP1 carbine AR-15 if anyone is interested.

I'd take one out shooting rabbits, but that's all. I think with handloaded ammo and Barnes bullets, you'd be ok for light carbou head-shots.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I put my 6.8 SPC in "roughly" the same class as my .243 Winchester. The 6.8 SPC shoots a 115 Grain 270 caliber bullet at 2,600 FPS. I now hunt very little, but wander around in the National Forest every day. I like the AR-15 for it's ease of field cleaning. Plus I feel I have as much chance of stumbling onto someones grow operation, as brown fuzzy's. The truth is I have more fear of humans in the wilderness than bears. Most of my AR's weigh 7 pounds. I only use 5 round magazines in the well when just hiking/exploring.

I wounder the same thing, would the AR freeze up? Being in the cold weather or a M14 be a better choice?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast