Thread: Foxes following wolves

Default Foxes following wolves

I've noticed several times this season, that where i find Wolf tracks I also often find Fox tracks. They are almost always side by side. I would venture to guess that the Foxes follow the Wolves to pick up scraps from their kills. Has anyone actually witnessed them following? Now I just have to figure out how to target both. Seems to be a slow start this year, lots of beaver and a marten but my canine sets havent produced. I was reading about people using old barrels with a hole cut out of them, baiting them, and mounting a #330 for Wolves and Wolverine. Is a #330 a little iffy for wolves? If not would a milkcrate set possibly work for them? Good luck out there.

Leonard:

Foxes around Ketchikan? News to me.

Im living in fairbanks now. Tons of foxes up here.

Thanks for drawing attention to my listed location. I've been needing to change that for a while.

I wouldnt mess around with 330s for wolves. The chances are so slim, you probably have a better chance of just finding a dead wolf out randomly walking around. Matter of fact, IMO, if you want to trap wolves, then trap wolves only, dont mess with foxes or lynx while wolf trapping, if you catch a fox it will spook the wolves and they may not return. Wolverines, the 330 bucket and crate sets work fine, sometimes even a stupid fox or lynx. But you will "never" catch a wolf in one, unless it is retarded.

I thought that that was probably the case, but it was this pic that made me second guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 330Wolf5.jpg  

that wolf was taken over in western ak, the guy said he almost couldn't get the coni off the wolf...so it musta fell under the retarded catagory and have been super desperate. i once got a male wolf in a number 1 long spring..but i didn't finish a nice wolf line of number one long springs...anything can happen, its trapping. but for targeting wolves i wouldn't waste my sweet 330's on a wolf set. in general wolves will be the toughest thing to trap out there..unless someones got it all figured out. snares seem to be one of the most popular methods.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I gotta agree on the wolves in Conis yes it has been done I know a couple people who have done it. However it is not going to happen on any kind of a regular basis. If I have a bait pile in a prime fox location to target the fox I will set a few wolf snares around it on the outer edges but wolves are not the target and I seldom get them in these fox locations. If I have a bait pile for wolves I don't set any fox snares around it period it is enough work keeping fallen snares from catching an incedental fox and spooking the wolves. The only dead thing I want around a wolf set is my bait and wolves. For me they are the most challenging thing I trap and they do challenge me on a regular basis
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Good thread, thanks guys.

i have witnessed foxes following wolves....it was a bright red fox following a lone white wolf....and very closely i might add.....50 yards or less...i'm guessing that if you were to catch one the other would spook and run off....the wolf may eat the fox??...i would say no for conibears on wolves....obviously it can happen but rarely....i would use snares.....but thats because my knowledge of footholds is minimal at best...i say set everything you got and good luck!!
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

I want to trap a wolverine and snare a wolf if possible this winter. Hope the snow conditions are favorable and I'll need to get some pointers later on.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!