Thread: Sand Lake still good? Other options?

Default Sand Lake still good? Other options?

I'm hoping to take my nephew ice fishing either tomorrow or next Saturday. Last year we went to Finger Lake on the advice of members here, but it seems like Finger has been slow this year. From what I've read, Sand Lake seems like a good option. Has anyone been there in the last week or so? Any tips to share with someone who has never fished there? He's 7 and is plenty happy with little fish. In this case, quantity is probably better than quality (size). The kid is amazingly patient (he fished for two hours last year before catching his first one), but it would still be nice to get into some fish. He hasn't stopped talking about last year's trip yet, and the kid has been through a rough year with his mom going through cancer treatment. I'd appreciate any ideas you can offer. Thanks!

-Brian

take the first right after the gate in kincade park. That lake is just full of stocked salmon. They are decent quality as well some 14" fish but most are about 10". I forget what that lakes name is but it might be little campbell lake....

walk 100 yards and drill a hole. a bobber and a piece of shrimp works there rverytime.

Default Sand Lake Today

I fished Sand lake today as well as every other weekend this winter. I only caught two fish in 2 hours but they were both nice char. One was 14" and one was 16". The biggest I have caught this year is 20", but the numbers of quality fish have been best at Sand lake. I fished Matanuska lake on saturday with only a couple really small char and rainbows. My best luck has been going straight out of large canal and a little to the right. Fish 20-30 yards off shore or in about 15-20 feet of water. As bowhunter mentioned little campbell lake right at the entrance of Kincaid park might be good for shear numbers of fish. Check out the solunar tables for the best two hour window for fishing the day you want to go. They make your efforts worth while, one day when it was snowing really bad this year I noticed the best time to fish was 1-3 pm. I didn't have to work so I headed to Sand Lake and caught easily 20 fish in this two hour time slot. Just a thought. Good Luck!

Yeah if you wanna fish for some pike and bigger char you could fish sand lake. The lake has some bigger WILD bows as well. I make sure not to keep any out of that lake though. I believe they are the only thing keeping the pike in check.

Keep every little pike you catch out of sand lake. It used to hold a lot of bigger trout. But since the pike have really move in I dont catch near as many. But now I have noticed its the pike that are bieng reduced and I am catching bigger rainbows again.

There are definatly days when you can catch just as many fish at sand lake as you can in little campbell lake. But you will always catch them out of little campbell lake by the bucket load. And like I said they can get to 14" and you can get a few in a day like that if you try.

Oh well im blabbing on now.

question: does little cambell winterkill, it seems small. I haven't been to beach lake in a long time but beach lake out from the dock a few hundred yards by the grassy patches on lookers left was always a favorite of mine when I was little. Also mirror lake is always a good bet. Fire lake has quite a few fish to, both upper and lower.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

No I dont think to many fish die in that lake. its just plumb full all the time. And it gets pretty darn deep like 35 feet or so. Lots of life in that lake and the little salmon eat a lot of freshwater shrimp.

Thanks for the tips, all. We weren't able to hit it today, but hopefully will give it a shot next weekend. I'll let you all know how we do then.

-Brian