Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cuddy Cabin Boats

Default Cuddy Cabin Boats

I'm looking to purchase a 26'-28' cuddy cabin boat and was looking at the Weldcraft, Kingfisher, and Duckworth. Any input on any of these boats would be appreciated, pros and cons etc. Thanks in advance!

DD

I looked at the weldcraft and wasn't impressed. The kingfisher has a nice finish but I didn't like the step down into cabin and the short freeboard. I haven't yet seen a duckworth but I've heard great things about them. Problem is they are pricey. You could get into a nice Wooldridge for the price of a duck or maybe even a custom bayweld.

What are the specific you are looking for? There are a ton of cuddy cabin boat builders in the 26-28ft range. I'm guessing from the names you listed you're looking for aluminum. What about price, options, etc?

Depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend... The Mrs and I have been looking for our next boat and we looked at the Duckworth 26 offshore, Hewes 260 PC, Boulton 26 explorer, Fish Rite SeaStorm and the Kingfisher. If we were going to stay in the 26 foot range the Duckworth hands down is the one to get because of the added improvements it has over the Hewescraft. It has plenty of fishing deck to fish 4-5 people and self bailing decks the cabin is laid out pretty nice. Out of all of the boats we shopped around the 2825 or the 3025 Kingfisher is what we kept coming back to. Even though the Kingfisher has lower freeboard than most it had the biggest fish holds of them all. The cabin is laid out nice as well the only thing I don't like on most of the boats I've looked at is the access to the head is from inside the cabin. The other boats mentioned just didn't do it for us with the prices they were asking.

Reason I bought a Kingfisher was that I found one for a good price, and my brother and a friend of his (did the initial visit for me) had the same impression of the boat that I developed. It's not perfect for one thing, but it's a very good compromise to do a lot of things.

I love the larger than avg fish deck with two large fish (or storage) holds. Didn't care for the low gunnel, but now I don't mind. Still want to put 7" tall stainless railings on both sides, but Kodiak resources are limited and pricey. I should send the plans I drafted to someone in Anchortown and have them shipped over here. Ahhh, I digress. Haven't been bothered by the step down into the cabin. Although, I was a little concerned it might be a head banger. Doesn't happen. But the step down does bring the people and gear weight lower into the boat. Cuddy isn't as big as some I've seen, but it's large enough.

I like how the boat handles, and I like the fact that I've found it very sea worthy even when I've been in rougher seas.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntKodiak View Post
    Still want to put 7" tall stainless railings on both sides, but Kodiak resources are limited and pricey. I should send the plans I drafted to someone in Anchortown and have them shipped over here.

Instead of stainless railing, you shoudl consider alumimum, thats what mine has and they work great. Less issues with corosion than I expect you would get with stainless, and easier to fabricate as well. Mine are welded on, but I am sure you could set them up as bolt on.

I agree with your statement about the stepdown into the cabin not being an issue. I had a time least summer when someone asked me about my boat and said that they did not like a step down, I said mine was a straight step into the cabin, and then next time I was on the boat I realized it was a step down. Iguess that shows how little of an issue it is for me, I did not even recognise it was there after 2 years.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Thanks for the info! I'm looking to spend around $125K, aluminum and would like it with a dinette, stove top, fully rigged for fishing. It would be used in the Pacific coast around Kitimat, Prince Rupert and Campbell River. I guess my question is what is a fair price for what I'm looking for? The prices seem to range from $100K-$200K (for a 26'ers), which is a broad range! Is it worth it to get one built....or get one that is already rigged and go? I would be interested in a second hand one that is a couple years old and save on the whole buying new price factor as well.

DD

Well I think with the price range you're in you could get what you want without a problem. If I remember correctly Wooly had a 29ft Cuddy at the boat show last year, fully rigged with just about every option and twin 150hp Yamahas from 125K-130K. Thats one heck of a nice boat

The main difference between having one built and buying used, other than price, is its harder to find exactly what you want used. You can save a ton of money going with a year or two old boat. I did this and am pretty happy with our boat. While I'd rather have a semi-custom setup from Wooly or a custom boat from Bayweld or one like Jroders has, I can't afford to do that right now. The Hewes PC we have gets the job done and will keep us happy for years to come.

From what the other two guys said maybe a step down cabin isn't a big deal but for me with a young family the freeboard was important. I think huntkodiak's solution is a good one so if that's the boat you want there is a pretty easy fix. G

Good luck with your search and keep us posted.

Yea, for that budget I would look beyond the ones you have listed. Here would be my choices in order of preference (I am biased, of course):

www.seawolfmarine.com
    http://www.coldwaterboats.com/
    http://eaglecraft.bc.ca

By the way, all boats are not the same just based on hull length. I was amazed one time at Seawolf looking at a 26' boat they were building. It had most of the features and seemed similar in size to my 31'. Also, when looking at price the biggest factor is how much personal control you have around adding features when the build is underway. There are so many options, it is easy to get int he mode of adding one more thing and driving the price up a lot.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Here is a picture of the 26' Seawolf with a single Yamaha 350. It is Huge.

2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Those Seawolfs sure are nice boats. What price range do the 26-31 ft class come in around?

Default Check out Almar/North River

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Those Seawolfs sure are nice boats. What price range do the 26-31 ft class come in around?
    Check out Almar/North River www.northriverboats.com Base prices for boat with 9.5' beam including trailer start at the following.
    26' w/ 20/55 deadrise $71,000
    28' w/ 24/55 $79,295
    30' $92,395

Prices do not include engine cost. Just sold a 30' with twin diesel, 12' cabin "turn key" to customer per his specs for $180,000. Will have build pictures coming soon. Planning to drop he in the water and cruise the inside passage to AK in May. All boats are built to meet the customer needs and layout. PM me for details or call the forum sponsor.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    On the Seawolfs, the 26' starts at 116K. This includes power, and it goes up to 140K or so for one with a head, fridge, etc. They are all finished nice like mine, but everything is optional based on what you need and want. If you get up to a 31' with everything like mine, you are over 200K. I remember when I was making my choice the single Diesel IO and the twin outboards were the same price. I don't have an apples to apples comaprison with HalibutGrove, since I have never thought of pricing them without the motors. I guess the advantage of this would be even better mileage than diesel! Unlike HG, I am not selling them, just a happy customer so I called them up and got current pricing today.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Starts at 116K and goes up to 140K with a head! Holy crap! I'll use a bucket for 24K in my pocket.

Seawolfe's are nice though.

IF you look at NR/ALMAR look at the Almar boat they built for Shelter Cove in Craig AK (Almar can send pics and specs). I had them spec one out for me it was about 128K (28x10 with a volvo D6).

To me the Weldcraft has great lines and seems tough, but that is really a style opinion. There is a 26' with twin Yamaha's new for 90K here in Southeast. Also look at y-marina in oregon's website and they have a lot of pictures of the weldcraft.

I have also seen a Boulton Explorer, and Fishrite Storm at Marita Sea and SKi for the mid 80s side by side.

I suppose you are looking at Outboard Aluminum jobs.

What did you not like about the Weldcraft? I have seen all 3 boats and from what I saw like the Weldcraft the best. But I have not seen the newest Duckworth in person. I own a Jetcraft/Harbercraft (which builds the Kingfisher) landing craft.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Starts at 116K and goes up to 140K with a head! Holy crap! I'll use a bucket for 24K in my pocket.

Now you are seeing why I am not in sales!

The key to the upper price is the 'etc.' It is more than just adding the head and fridge, but all the other stuff. I don't know all the details, but the upper price was for including lots of options. It seems to me that if I didn't have unlimited dollars, I would still look at one of these custom, really nice boats and then add things like high end GPS, radar, pot puller, etc. as it could be afforded. It is certianly an option for the OP and his budget.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post

IF you look at NR/ALMAR look at the Almar boat they built for Shelter Cove in Craig AK (Almar can send pics and specs). I had them spec one out for me it was about 128K (28x10 with a volvo D6).

To me the Weldcraft has great lines and seems tough, but that is really a style opinion. There is a 26' with twin Yamaha's new for 90K here in Southeast. Also look at y-marina in oregon's website and they have a lot of pictures of the weldcraft.

I have also seen a Boulton Explorer, and Fishrite Storm at Marita Sea and SKi for the mid 80s side by side.

I suppose you are looking at Outboard Aluminum jobs.

What did you not like about the Weldcraft? I have seen all 3 boats and from what I saw like the Weldcraft the best. But I have not seen the newest Duckworth in person. I own a Jetcraft/Harbercraft (which builds the Kingfisher) landing craft.

Sobie2
    Sorry Sobie2 and the OP. I made a mistake. I was actually referring to the Boulton over at Maria Sea and Ski and not the Weldcraft. I've actually never set foot in the Weldcraft cuddy. While the Boulto was a nice boat, in my humble opinion, it was the lowest in fit and finish. Just seemed like you got less for your money then you got with a Hewes or other mass produced aluminum cuddy. Sorry about the confusion. I'd go back and edit my post to correct it but its been too long.

I did really like the Fish Rites but the cabin was way too narrow for my tastes. I also tend to agree with Jrodgers. If I could get into a custom heavy gauge boat like Seawolf, Glaciercraft or Bayweld I would. I just can't see myself being able to afford a boat like that for a long time. They sure are nice boats though and I'll just have to keep dreaming about them.

As to the OP, it seems we pushed up his budget quite a bit if he wants a well outfitted boat. From his comments it sounds like he was more in the situation I was, albeit in a higher price range. He sounds like he's looking for a rigged and outfitted boat for the price range he's talking about of $125K. As far as I can tell you can't get into one of these high end boats for that price and finding one used is a needle in a haystack. What are folks suggestions for what he should be thinking about and considering in his boat. I'd say decide on the options most important to you (i.e. outboards, inboards, head, galley, etc). Then find the model or models you really like, rule out those that you don't. I'd then start looking for a year or two old one to save some coin. That way by spring/summer if you don't find a used one you can start looking at buying new. Just my 2 cents to take it for what its worth. Any other suggestions?

Fivethirty,

Here is a used 2007 28' North River that might fit the bill:
    http://www.alaskaboatbrokers.com/lis...l.asp?key=1000

Doug

I have looked at the new Duckworth I liked the looks of it but was disappointed in the lack of interior space with just a dinette that seats 2 guys. Have you looked at Wooldridge? All there 23-29ft cuddy boats have a dinette that seats 4 comfortably and you get a 7ft bed when it lays down.You can flip the seat back to sit at the table or look ahead when cruising then it lays flat for the bed.

I believe you could get a 26 with twin 115 Yamaha's, an aluminum trailer with a cuddy, with sink, stove, fridge, and a self bailing deck 150 gal fuel tank, with 3 fish box's 2 in floor 80 gallon and one in the transom in the price range you are looking at with some electronics as well.
    Duckworth interior pic
    http://www.duckworthboats.com/model-offshore.html

Wooldridge interior, This one in the pics is a 29ft so it has more room in the center aisle than the 26 will have.

Quote Originally Posted by sport drifter View Post
    I have looked at the new Duckworth I liked the looks of it but was disappointed in the lack of interior space with just a dinette that seats 2 guys. Have you looked at Wooldridge? All there 23-29ft cuddy boats have a dinette that seats 4 comfortably and you get a 7ft bed when it lays down.You can flip the seat back to sit at the table or look ahead when cruising then it lays flat for the bed.

I believe you could get a 26 with twin 115 Yamaha's, an aluminum trailer with a cuddy, with sink, stove, fridge, and a self bailing deck 150 gal fuel tank, with 3 fish box's 2 in floor 80 gallon and one in the transom in the price range you are looking at with some electronics as well.
    Duckworth interior pic
    http://www.duckworthboats.com/model-offshore.html

Wooldridge interior, This one in the pics is a 29ft so it has more room in the center aisle than the 26 will have.

The duckworth appears to have much better fit and finish based on the photo gallery pics. They appear to use a much better glass package. The boat pictured appears to just use a rubber seal around the windshield glass but maybe the photo doesn't show the framing. I've seen rubber framed windows get blown out when green water comes over the bow. IMHO I'd stay clear of boats that don't have a quality glass package like Seaglaze or something similar on their offshore boats.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

The duckworth appears to have much better fit and finish based on the photo gallery pics. They appear to use a much better glass package. The boat pictured appears to just use a rubber seal around the windshield glass but maybe the photo doesn't show the framing. I've seen rubber framed windows get blown out when green water comes over the bow. IMHO I'd stay clear of boats that don't have a quality glass package like Seaglaze or something similar on their offshore boats.
    I just had a Wooldridge built my build pictures from start to finish are here http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ght=wooldridge

Wooldridge uses Diamond Seaglase aluminum framed windows on their boats they are standard and not an option the only windows that have a rubber seal and mount are the 2 on the back of the cabin. As far as fit and finish is concerned I like the Wooldridge over the NR my last boat was a NR. Most of the boats in this class have the rear cabin entry door centered in the boat this gives a very narrow dinette table. Wooldridge offsets the door giving more room on the port side allowing a dinette that can seat 4 people. I have had some good time playing cards on that table with 4 adults.

www.seawolfmarine.com
    http://www.coldwaterboats.com/
    http://eaglecraft.bc.ca

This group of boats that are listed above are nice for sure but when I did my pricing they did not fit in your price range so to compare apples to apples you need to compare the NR, Boulton, Fishrite, Weldcraft/Duckworth. I did this comparison and when you really compare what you get I feel Wooldridge is at the top that is why I bought one.

I am in the Marine Products industry and see all these boats regularly. Some of the little things that add up fast are things like windshield wipers Wooldridge is standard with 3 Boulton comes with one and the rest are an option some of the others come with 2 so just really compare what you get for that base price. I am using the wipers as just an example. Get a list of options you want in a boat and send them out to the different companies and see how they stack up but I would not just use price as a factor of course at some point you have to draw the line. Feel free to give me a call I researched this for 2 years before buying I can give you some info I learned. Many of the so called custom builders really are not they have a list of options to choose from and that is it ask for something different and the price will skyrocket or they will refuse. Wooldridge was willing to build it how I wanted and the build went great it was very good experience for me.

Mike

There's a nice 26' Olympic on the anchorage Craigslist this morning for 23K. I don't know anything about Olympics but it sure looks like a nice boat. The hull has nice lines and should handle things if it gets rough out there. Thought I'd throw that one out there since I read this thread right after looking at the add.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast