Thread: Buff Tuff .470 Mbogo

Default Buff Tuff .470 Mbogo

Anybody got 1 of these? Harvest anything with it?

Anybody want 1 besides me?

Check out all the pages on the .470 MBOGO cause there are videos at the end.

Now thats a stopper rifle!!

Ain't big bores just grand?

http://www.470mbogo.com/

jedi

daddy likey....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have a Canadian friend that has one and knows the inventor of the round. Definately a neat round.

I have a 458 lott and a 500 Jeffrey, and can't personally see a need to fill the gap.

Default covered

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I have a Canadian friend that has one and knows the inventor of the round. Definately a neat round.

I have a 458 lott and a 500 Jeffrey, and can't personally see a need to fill the gap.
    Yeah, I would say your covered.

Just thought it was a real cool site to share.

jedi.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Had one. In fact he had the same person rebore his that rebored mine. Cliff LaBounty. Only difference was mine was called the 470/416 Rigby.

Default 470/416

Why did ya get rid of it?

Did it thump good?

What did ya kill with it?

jedi

Hi gentlemen,
    I glad you enjoyed my site. As Allen mentioned the first 470 Mbogo was built on a re-bored Ruger 416 Rigby. I have since built a couple more, one on a 602 Brno and one on a CZ550. The CZ 550 weighs in at 9.25 lbs with a peepsight, can be packed all day and is set up as an PH stopping rifle.

Hi Allen,
    Is the cartridge that you had a 416 Rigby opened up to 475 like the 475 A&M? I spoke to a Doctor named Crawford that Cliff LaBounty told me about that made a 475 like this. The cartridge had the same taper as the 416 Rigby but was opened up to 475. If so the 470 Mbogo is quite different. If your interested you can send me a pm and I would sure like to trade cartridges with you for my collection. Did you headstamp yours?
    Take good care,
    Dave

Default .470 mbogo

What is the recoil like on that PH rifle?

Were the rounds full power in the rapid fire videos or downloaded some?

Do you know if Quality Cartridge still loads the .470 Mbogo with properly headstamped brass?

jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by jedi rifleman View Post
    What is the recoil like on that PH rifle?

Were the rounds full power in the rapid fire videos or downloaded some?

Do you know if Quality Cartridge still loads the .470 Mbogo with properly headstamped brass?

jedi.

The recoil in the PH rifle which is the same rifle in the rapid fire video with a few changes. The barrel has been turned down and it now has a MacMillan express stock. The recoil is a bit stiffer I would guess in the 95 ft lbs range where before it was about 90. It is still very controllable with practice 5 to 10 lbs hardly makes a difference when your in that range of recoil. The big thing is the recoil pad and how it helps to slow down the recoil velocity as well as the energy.

They were full power loads in the video.

I don't know if Quality Cartridge makes loaded ammo but I think they still do brass. I had Jamison do a run of brass and still have a couple hundred left. They are in the cylindrical form and are headstamped if Quality Cartridge doesn't have brass.

Take good care,
    Dave

Question lefty .470 Mbogo action

I still have to find an action that will handle that cartridge in left hand. Preferably stainless. At an affordable price.

So far Granite Mountain Arms is the cheapest I can find and at $3,000 it aint real cheap.

Especially since I got 2 win M70 projects I am getting into.(and they were only $1200 for the pair)

If it wasn't for the lefty issue I could get a ruger like you did.

You got any ideas for an affordable .470 Mbogo left hand?

Maybe I will check Montana....dont think they go that large on head dia., though I ain't sure.

jedi

For an affordable stainless lefty, you'll have to settle for a 470 Capstick (H&H belted case) or a 470 AR (Rem ultramag case).

The 470 AR will push 500 gr @ 2200 fps at reasonable pressures, stoked to the gills you can get 2400.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    For an affordable stainless lefty, you'll have to settle for a 470 Capstick (H&H belted case) or a 470 AR (Rem ultramag case).

The 470 AR will push 500 gr @ 2200 fps at reasonable pressures, stoked to the gills you can get 2400.
    Montana would eventually have a lefty stainless for the rigby for around $600 but the initial run is on indefinate hold.

jedi

Considering how long it has taken them to get their current actions into production, and the problems they've had with production, I wouldn't count on them.

I'd say go with the 470 AR, it is the perfect solution for the 7mm rem mag, and has fed successfully from the Ruger std length mags with no feed work, just screw on a barrel and go.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by 470 Mbogo View Post
    Hi gentlemen,
    I glad you enjoyed my site. As Allen mentioned the first 470 Mbogo was built on a re-bored Ruger 416 Rigby. I have since built a couple more, one on a 602 Brno and one on a CZ550. The CZ 550 weighs in at 9.25 lbs with a peepsight, can be packed all day and is set up as an PH stopping rifle.

Hi Allen,
    Is the cartridge that you had a 416 Rigby opened up to 475 like the 475 A&M? I spoke to a Doctor named Crawford that Cliff LaBounty told me about that made a 475 like this. The cartridge had the same taper as the 416 Rigby but was opened up to 475. If so the 470 Mbogo is quite different. If your interested you can send me a pm and I would sure like to trade cartridges with you for my collection. Did you headstamp yours?
    Take good care,
    Dave

Dave mine was just the Ruger RSM rebored to 475. Kept the Rigby case as is. I spoke to the Dr. that Cliff did the work for just to get some input from him. I just used Federal 416 Rigby brass necked up.

Hi Allen,
    We must have travelled similar paths in 96. Cliff did a fine job on my first 470 which now belongs to my friend Chris. He just had it in Africa and knocked down a few Cape Buffalo with it. He sent me a couple of penetration videos that are up on my site. The 470 has quite a bit more case capacity than the tapered Rigby case so operating pressures would be lower than the necked up Rigby. I like it loaded to 2500 fps with a 500 grain bullet but some have ventured up to 2685 fps but that has never been the idea behind it. I hope to take mine to Africa again for Buffalo.
    Take good care,
    Dave