Thread: Turnigan and Kenai Lake area Baiting

Default Turnigan and Kenai Lake area Baiting

Anyone do any baiting around Kenai Lake? Or Turnigan Arm? Not looking for any specifics just a general idea of the population of baiters.

I've never hunted Kenai lake myself, but I've heard it is a tough area to bait, because you have to be a quarter mile (straight line distance from the edge of the lake) and from my understanding it is very steep. Plus with this method you will have to walk in and I don't like walking in to baitstations with as many brownies as there currently are on the peninsula.

I'll 2nd what 33 said. It's a real logistical issue to find a place far enough away from all the roads trails, cabins, houses etc. At least in my neck of the woods from Seward to Moose Pass. Brownies getting on your bait is also a serious consideration. Stay away from meat scraps and go with grains and sweets. Late in the season down here the blackies eat spruce cone meats, devils club berries, and cow parsnip seeds. I have trouble dedicating time baiting once the salmon start up down here anyway.

You don't have to be 1/4 mile from Kenai Lake, you have to be 1/4 mile from Kenai River. (pg 27, second MAY NOT)

There are several bait stations on Kenai Lake and the Turnagain Arm. That being said, there is a lot of area out there too.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Sunrise, Alaska (Mile 7.3 to mile 8.3) Hope Road is where all the Black Bears live. Hundreds of Black Bears, Bait them, hunt them, thin them out. Free Bear Bait Barrels available.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Sunrise, Alaska (Mile 7.3 to mile 8.3) Hope Road is where all the Black Bears live. Hundreds of Black Bears, Bait them, hunt them, thin them out. Free Bear Bait Barrels available.
    Consider it done if you are for real! I am more than willing to hike in a mile. Also been looking at that land for sale down your way! Will have to c how things progress though. When is the auction over? Or is it already?

the problem with kenai lake is snug harbor road from that side yuo cant get a quarter of a mile and that island you can't bait on so it leaves the other side and that is a tough climb

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Sounds too good to be true. Oh wait it is.

Lots of bears, more people.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    the problem with kenai lake is snug harbor road from that side yuo cant get a quarter of a mile and that island you can't bait on so it leaves the other side and that is a tough climb
    Tough climb is a good thing. Keeps people out
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Half of turnagain arm is closed, no baiting in 14C. Portage area closed. Head of the arm I think is open though, boat will be most likely required. Other side of turnagain arm gets hit pretty hard. Lots of guys on 4 wheelers go along the shore. Go take a hike down there, you will see bait station remnants all over. Turnagain pass down to hope has a lot also. Hope is just rediculous, but my coworker tried it down there for the first time and buddy has done it down there for a lot years. Everybody seems cool and about every powerline pole is used an marker to find their baits. Coworker was there around 7pm one evening. Every pole had a guy walking in that he could see! I would think most use a bow being that close to one another.

Goodluck!

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Half of turnagain arm is closed, no baiting in 14C. Portage area closed. Head of the arm I think is open though, boat will be most likely required. Other side of turnagain arm gets hit pretty hard. Lots of guys on 4 wheelers go along the shore. Go take a hike down there, you will see bait station remnants all over. Turnagain pass down to hope has a lot also. Hope is just rediculous, but my coworker tried it down there for the first time and buddy has done it down there for a lot years. Everybody seems cool and about every powerline pole is used an marker to find their baits. Coworker was there around 7pm one evening. Every pole had a guy walking in that he could see! I would think most use a bow being that close to one another.

Goodluck!
    ****! That is the info I was looking for. Was just trying to determine where I wanted to focus my efforts and sounds like I may need to look a little further!
    Thanks