Thread: Scotty Downriggers

Default Scotty Downriggers

I am switching over to Scotty Downriggers this year and began the process of ordering them. I picked the actual unit that I am putting on the boats. The confusion comes from the somewhat confusing array of Soft stop bumpers, stopper beaders and cable couplers that they sell, anyone have any expereince with the terminal end of the down riggers? I know about the snap that goes to the ball but what about the inbetween parts?

Anyone try Spectra or Dyeema instead of wire? They sell them with either...?

Default scottys

Haven`t used scottys in years,but miss there simplicity and dependablity.Mine just had the stopper beads that you place on the cable and as it it went through a specific guide on the boom it would trigger the rigger to stop.You could adjust that as to where you wanted the ball to stop. I`m thinking the bumper might be the little rubber ball that they sell that slids over the cable just above your snap.This will help absorb the shock if your cannon ball comes up against the pulley at the end of the boom such as jogging up to get to the ball.Haven`t tried the braided downrigger line yet but sounds rather intriguing.Let know how it works if you go that route.Good choice those scottys.

If you've not yet ordered your downriggers, check out http://www.berrysbait.com

When I bought my two Scotty downriggers a few years ago, this place beat every price I could find elsewhere.

Charterboat Operator

Default scottys

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    If you've not yet ordered your downriggers, check out http://www.berrysbait.com

When I bought my two Scotty downriggers a few years ago, this place beat every price I could find elsewhere.
    Thumbs up on Berrys, great people to talk with and any info you might need. Got a pair from them 5-6 years ago and definitly "no hassle".
    Did switch one out last season to spectra, actually Berkley Power Pro, 200# really quiets the line hum down. just pulled them out of the shed yesterday to get them ready for the winter king derby. Going to run BPP on the other this year also!
    Did try to run the stoppers on a lighter line (80#) and they would have a tendency to pull on the lline.
    only thing i would do differently would be to get the extending boom model,do't have to use it but would certainly give more options as to position.
    Good Luck

Default Line vs. wire

If you have positive ion type down-rigger control you will lose that + voltage that you want to have near the bait if using anything but wire.
    .02 worth
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by profishguide View Post
    If you have positive ion type down-rigger control you will lose that + voltage that you want to have near the bait if using anything but wire.
    .02 worth
    good call, have checked the voltage with the wire on but makes sence that you would have no voltage going thru w/o the wire.
    Maybe I need to call Mr. Sherman and he can set me up with a way to make it transfer,(ha-ha)
    got me thinking now as to what the catch difference was between the 2 riggers i have, 1 w/wire 1 w/o. might have to do a test before i replace the other.

Default Scotty Downrigger

I've used three different brands of downriggers. The electric Scotty is by far the best in my opinion. The stopper beads are really quite simple to put on the line. You need to understand the way the switch works on the Scotty. 1. Pushing and holding the button will raise the weight to where ever you desire and stop when released. 2. By turning the switch the downrigger will lift the weight hands free.The beads are attached to the line basically where you would like the weight to stop on the way up.(I have mine stop just beore it would lift out of the water). As the bead travels through the switch it stops the rigger motor. (Use two beads right next to each other as a backup) This is a great feature when you want to get the downrigger weight and line out of the way when you have a fish on. I have also switched over to the Super Line on the downrigger. Still catches Salmon like the wire line, but the one thing I did notice (Good Thing) is that there is no noise or hum as it is trolled as there is with wire line.

Default Thanks!

That is some good info, thanks!

Default trolling for?

I'm curious, when are you trolling out there, CAPT, and for what? Kings? Do you guys troll for silvers when mooching is slow?
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

What can you tell me about the non-wire cable for downriggers? This is the first I've heard about it. Is it recommended/approved by the downrigger manufacturers, and are there any downsides to using it? I'm thinking I'd worry more about the tangles (getting them out) between fishing line on the rod and non-wire cables, plus maybe fraying. I will say that I don't like the hum of the wire, and I'd think that a thinner line would deep the downrigger ball from angling out so far behind the boat as you troll.

Default Scottys

Captain,
    I have used Scotty's for two years now, after a year with an electric Cannon, and after many years with manual Penns.

I really like the Scotty's, but, there is a learning curve, which may or may not be a good thing with your clients. there are a lot of little things to be aware of to use Scottys well. basically, it is the up button vs the 'bring it all the way up' switch. I guess as long as that is all the clients are doing, it should be fine.

I switched to braid on both my scotties this winter. I had been using the Scotty wire, and it is very poor. Too thin, too brittle, too subject to corrosion and kinking. I really like the braid. You lose any voltage control, but I have heard that that is only effective within some short distance (6-10 feet?) of the downrigger ball anyway, and I usually run my gear further back. One really nice thing about braid is you are now tying knots (palomar) instead of crimping. The rubber stopper is nice so that your clip has a little shock resistance if you run it up into your block, but it shouldn't happen often.

The 'up' stopper on scotties is problematic on braid........they slip. I lost a couple downrigger balls before figuring this one out. What I do now is actually tie a cheap swivel onto the braid where I want the stopper bead. the swivel actually acts as the stopper bead. This works fine.

Also, the extendable boom is nice, particularly if you have a kicker on one side, and want to get beyond it. If you go this route, they have a ball retriever which is nice....a bit tricky as you want it kind of tight up around the block and not with so much slack that it trails down into the water, but again pretty easy to figure out. Not as easy for a one time client? Or don't use the retriever and just tilt the rigger up to grab the line.

Another thing about line is it is kinda cutty, if your hands are wet and cold. Maybe make in some gangion cord for the last few feet so if you are reaching for the ball you have something to grab and slip your hand down. More drag.............

You'll like them, I think. Very good service down here.

On the other hand, Cannon just got bought out and has brought out a new downrigger which is giving Scotty a run for it's money. Main question I think would be relative service available in your area.

Smile Stoppers Scotty

I knew I should have mentioned the stoppers slipping on the braided line. Had the same problem, but it stopped when I went to two stoppers back to back and a drop of crazy glue. I've probably cycled through this setup about 50 times and no problems. But I DO LIKE the idea of using a barrel swivel and will probably go to that. BTW Scotty has their own brand of Braid replacement line. (West Marine) or any Scotty Dealer.

Henry

Charterboat Operator

so what is the poundage of the scotty braided line?
    i found that after going to the 200# w/double stoppers the slippage was minimal. I do like the idea of the swivel though, might have to try that.

Default Scotty Braid

The Scotty Braid is 250lb test.

Just a footnote. If you get rid of the wire do not use mono. It can swell up and crack your spool.
    Tennessee

Default Info

I like to troll two downrigger one on each corner. Two lines on each rigger and then a couple of deep six planers way out back. Surprisingly, offshore for kings, the planers can be just as effective as the riggers.

Thanks for all the advice, especially the tip about the double stopper with crazy glue. That one might have taken me a while to figure out.

Nickster I use the downriggers for trolling for Kings on my long range trips and for Sharks on the same trips.
    Some nice Kings to be caught, way offshore. There used to be a commercial Ocean Troll King Fishery in South Central. the fish are still out there but the trollers were shut down to allow the fish to move in towards the coast....

I am switching over from Cannons as the company got bought out and the quality seemed to crater. I got eight more units from the factory a couple of years ago and they all got water in them last season, including four that they replaced free of charge. The problem seems to be where the cable goes into the downrigger.

Scotty's can pull a heavier ball, which is proving to be critical when the fish are deep. They seem to be taking over the market share. Except for those twenty year old Penns that never die.

I used braided line on the cannons and what I did is to tie a barrel swivel on to the braid ( palomar) and then make up some snubbers of 250 pound mono with snap swivels on both ends. The distance was from the tip of the downrigger to the water (for my boat 5'). This allowed me to "snap on" flashers or "stacker releases" to the wire. It also broke the electrical current (which I am skeptical about) by the gear. it also made hauling in the cannon balls much easier on the hands and provided some stretch from the weight of the cannon ball.

There is a detailed tutorial on catching kings on downriggers on another website called Coastside Fishing Club in California. I learned to catch these kings from a Canadian commercial fishermen and a Great Lakes tournament salmon fishermen. The bottom line is a feeding king salmon is a feeding king salmon. My hottest lure is a Great Lakes spoon! It is called the Dr. Kevorkian spoon ( Great name for a lure)

Cap'n,
    I've had a Cannon, and really liked it. Almost went back last year.......but sometimes very expensive repairs I've heard? If you got some Cannons a few years ago, those would be the old, expensive Cannons, compared to the new less expensive more powerful and faster Cannons just out this year, or last year?

I've heard of some folks switching over. One thing about Cannons, they use that downrigger wire to sense the current on the line, and it's how they know to stop when your ball comes out of the water. Works very well. But you CAN NOT go to braid, because the rigger needs the conductivity thru the water to boat ground to stop the ball. And braid seems very nice to use.

I've eyed the Scottys for years, but can't get anyone to tell me much about how they work. On my Cannons, the feature I use most is the pre-programmed depths... push recall 3 times, press run and off it goes. I can then move on to setting the next line instead of standing there holding the down button until I get to my desired depth.

Does anyone else have a pre-set depth recall and run type feature?

-Case

Ak Capt, just curious how far you are running those deep six's back and are you running spoons or bait off of them? I havent had much luck trolling spoons though I plan on giving it a go again this year. Slow rolled choked herring behind a flasher a few feet (not attached inline), or abe an Al's with hoochies were my chinook mainstay. Really dont like fishing those ab an als, but it does catch fish and do it well! Most clients didnt care as long as they were fighting fish, a few didnt like fighting the flasher. Havent tried rigging a sixer on the whisky rod, nice idear.

I played a little with the braid vs cable last summer however didnt like it as much as the cable. Though it seems most guys are going to it, I might try it again this year. Same problems, stoppers slipping and it seemed to be farther back then my cable was (dont ask diameters, I cant remember what I had for breakfast lol). The boat wasn't set up by me and those braid rigger lines were just to close to my kicker prop for comfort.

There is a clip for your ball using cable that you do not need to crimp with. I used it and it never did fail me once! The cable would break before that would give. Pretty slick little rig.

The braid guys I saw down in southeast were all using the same plastic clip, they really seemed to like it.

Normally for 3 or more clients I run two or three lines on riggers and at times with 4 or more people a whisky rod. I don't however let them mess with the downriggers or rods. Have had to much line end up in the prop way to often, balls being broke off, and more time lost to resetting gear then anything. They can handle the rod, not the downrigger! Some guys are good at it, most dont seem to have that "touch" lol.

I'm fairly new to the trolling fleet. Always mooched on charters, mooched as a deckhand. Now trolling as a skipper. I still love to mooch when things are right, this last summer there were few days were mooching out produced the trollers on kings. Any other good trolling tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

One thing I did have a problem with and it seemed like it was my boat specific was I was rotting out my male plugs way to often!!! Never could figure that one out if it was placement of the plugs or what. Really made for a couple interesting days on the water . I'll be skippering a different boat this summer and I dont think that'll be an issue.

looking for some help on the rigger replacement line. Forgot about this thread. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Running 200lb power pro. Tied the beads on they dont move a muscle. However my counters are off so it's a best guess the depth we are trolling, any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Dan

tradbow@hotmail or my cell 907-322-0397