Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BBD! Big Buffalo Down!!!!

Default BBD! Big Buffalo Down!!!!

63460_1500140308011_1369278685_31198535_7204246_n.jpgSo on Friday December 10, 2010, my dream and goal for this year came true. I shot a Bison. It was -11 and we saw around 180-200 animals. It was a great hunt and here is the story:

It started when we were heading down to Delta to find the beast that had eluded us so far this year. Up until this point we had seen 1 buffalo total since Oct. 15th. We were heading down the farm roads, all the while trying to contact the farmer's whose land we wanted to hunt, but to no avail. As we got closer to their land, I looked out my window and noticed around 150 animals standing on the side of the road just inside the wind break. This, unfortunately, was on farm land that was on the "no hunt" list. So we called the other farmer and tried to get some info on the farms that had the bison on it, but again to avail. We then decided to go to a different farm and sit and wait to see if they were going to appear on their farm. After 3 hours of seeing nothing, I decided to move to the Panoramic field (mile post 1408) before we left to head back to Fairbanks. In the 13 days I have hunted prior to Friday, we had seen over 200 moose on this field and not a singe bison, but that day was different! As I was driving toward the open field, I saw them! They were about 35 yards away and standing right were I needed to go. So we got out and got closer. There were about 30 of them. We got closer, and then it happened. They took off running! We ran back to my truck to head them off. They ran right behind my truck and off to the races they went. We drove back down the trail to cut them off 2 more times until they were long gone. As we were getting ready to call it a done deal, I turned and saw Bob, that's what I named my bison. We was standing about 125 yards away! Between two windbreaks. We hurried and got ready one last time. We studied it and made the call, yes it was a bull. I took the shot and hit the mark. It was 2:30 in the afternoon and my hunting season was over! It was a great, fun, cold hunt that I hope I get the chance to do again some day.

Thanks to everyone who helped me and for being there for me to lean on. Thanks to my wife for being so understand and letting and helping me through is entire thing. And to my best friend and hunting partner, Tim. I couldn't do this with you bro, thanks.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Chrissy/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Chrissy/Desktop/63460_1500140308011_1369278685_31198535_7204246_n. jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Chrissy/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

that is a heck of a snout on that beast. congratulations on the harvest, though your description of methods will raise a few eyebrows.

for future hunting you might familiarize yourself with the general restrictions and try not to violate them. (page 18 of the regs.)

Wow. One word. Amazing.

Great job on the Bison.........!
    Nice read on the story......I keep tying for a permit
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Default Great job J !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    to cut them off 2 more times until they were long gone. As we were getting ready to call it a done deal, I turned and saw Bob, that's what I named my bison. ...

And to my best friend and hunting partner, Tim. I couldn't do this with you bro, thanks.
    J,

I've been looking for this exact post since we met earlier this year. Great job! I'm so glad Tim was there for it too; what a wonderful hunt... including of course all the hard work and perseverance involved. When you catch your breath, I wouldn't mind hearing about your experience in getting him aboard your truck. People know moose, but very few know bison.

When they ran, were you close enough to feel it in your feet? (that's a feeling I'll never forget)

If I had to guess, I'd judge him a 6 year old. Very very nice. Notice the 'fro extends above the horns; that distance is the basis for my guess.

We now share yet another thing in common; I too got my bison on the third go-round, and I too named him - mine's name is Harry (cause he is).

Thanks for sharing your hunt online. And please do post some more about it when you can. (+1)

Yeah...

A great animal though and congrats. Makes all the previous effort worth it.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Default guys, guys!

He clearly says that after he moved his truck they ran behind his truck. Obviously that makes him repositioning himself to where they're headed. Not only very smart, but quite within the legal AND ethical rules of fair chase.

Please, knock off the 'gotta find something wrong with this' crap and congratulate him; he worked for it, and deserves it. And it couldn't happen to a better guy. Again,

Great looking bison way to stick with it and get the job done!!!

Congratulations to you! That's wonderful!!!

Brett

Congrats man! I can't imagine how much work it must be to butcher out something that big! I bet it was well into the dark when you got it all done. Way to stick with it and finally connect. You will be eating good for quite some time.

Must have been a rush finally seeing them after all the time you have put in hunting. Great Job, let's see some more pictures!!

I did not shot from my truck, they ran behind my truck. we got in and moved to get in front of them and not harass them. we were far enough away to stay away from them and not affect them in any way, yet close enough to see them. we had to run and jump. sorry if this cause anyone to think anything else. i am a true ethical hunter who would never do anything to jeopardize my hunting right.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

I did not shot from my truck, they ran behind my truck. we got in and moved to get in front of them and not harass them. we were far enough away to stay away from them and not affect them in any way, yet close enough to see them. we had to run and jump. sorry if this cause anyone to think anything else. i am a true ethical hunter who would never do anything to jeopardize my hunting right.
    When I was a kid I watched the movie "The White Buffalo". My family will tell you that I have had a thing about them ever since. If I could list animals in the order that I would consider top trophies the buffler would be at the top of that list. I even have a 45-70 that I call my buffler gun. It has never been on a hunt and probably never will but I have it just in case.

Congrats on the fine trophy and thanks for sharing it.

It seems like every successful hunt gets a raised eye brow from someone. Not to worry..no qualms here....just happy for ya!

Nicely done!

Good Job on the hunt! I know how hard and how satisfying it can be from my wife's previous hunt a few years ago. How were the snow conditions as far as getting around? Hoping to get my daughter a shot at one over the holidays. If you have any other advice feel free to PM.

Whoa, what a pic there, what a Mighty Animal those are, and yours, Very Awesome,
    Congrats of the Highest Order for that success
    That pic is a wallhanger itself, love that angle, So,

Mind if I ask, when you get an approx meat poundage number can you post it for us? I'd love to hear what you pull off one of those critters, and,
    Are you going to do a head mount or anything? That's also one animal that I would really love to hunt and probably have to mount somehow, tho I'd have to build a new house to find a place to hang something like that.....
    In winter is that hide just deep and thick or what? I'd like to just get that close to one of those someday

Gonna be a Good Winter of dining for you guys, and probably summer and fall and .....hmmmmmm
    Man, thanks for telling the story and for that pic
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

There's nothing like the feeling of stalking up on a bison like you were a settler on the western plains. He's going to look great on the wall. Glad to hear that all the time invested paid off.

I wonder how often F&G updates their "no hunt" list. When I had a tag a few years ago we had a group of bison move from the property we were hunting to the neighbors who was on the "no hunt" list. Turned out the name listed on F&G's sheet was incorrect and when we contacted the actuall owners they were more than happy to let us hunt and invited us out to another piece of property where they had a large heard destroying one of their fields. We would have headed there the next day but took a bison that evening on the original property we were inquiring into. The property they invited us out to hunt the next day was listed as "no hunting" on F&G's list as well.

Not certain about the "ethics" aspect of the hunt description, though it would be interesting the read the response from "Ask a trooper". Probably even more interesting (perhaps not for the participants) to have seen the reaction of a wildlife officer witnessing the events as they unfolded. At least as stated on page 18 it certainly would seem to be illegal.
    Joe

I'd just say to reword it. We aren't calling into question your ethics, just the wording. I'd have probably done EXACTLY the same thing!!

It is a mighty fine animal, and one to be proud of. But...I do want to see MORE PICTURES!!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Congrats....they are good table fare for sure.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast