Thread: george lake?

Default george lake?

is george lake just outside of delta jct accessable from boat or is it fly in only? also how is the pike fishing I have heard that it is pretty good.

You can get there by boat or plane or even sleds in the winter if the Tanana freezes up. Nope no pike there keep on going.

well I was thinking of going out there to go mosquito hunting since there is no pike, soooo if I were to do that how would I get there by boat? Is it marked or noticable?

George Lake is accessible by boat. The slough gets to be pretty low in the summer time. It is not marked, so you have to know where you are going to be able to hit the right slough. There are pike in the lake. In the winter time, we ride our snowmachines into the lake, once the river freezes. Takes about 20 minutes in the winter time and a lot longer in the summer time. I have to say that this lake is getting fished out, we have been disappointed the last few times we have taken the time to go in. If you take a boat in the summer time, you have to be really careful, the slough is very narrow and you can't always hear the other boats coming.

You can get a pretty good idea here:

http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_vid...52cb96f7e08794

Fishing was pretty good that day, caught my first pike on a fly rod. Thought we would catch bigger fish, once we saw the 15 other boats on the water we figured out why we didn't.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

cool video, the guy with the stars on his jacket arms looks familiar was he in the army? if so we might have been in the same unit (1/17INF) or he was one of my students at NWTC. Reguardless looks like you had a good time thanks for the post
    Robbie Hembree

Great video! I have one similar to that on VHS from years ago.

akguy454 when were you with NWTC?

You can launch from the Alaska HWY or from the end of Cummings road which is just south of Gerstle River. In the video you can see the cliffs along the east side of the river when you see those head to that side and the slough will be just north of them.

When are you thinking of heading in?

Quote Originally Posted by akguy454 View Post
    cool video, the guy with the stars on his jacket arms looks familiar was he in the army? if so we might have been in the same unit (1/17INF) or he was one of my students at NWTC. Reguardless looks like you had a good time thanks for the post
    Robbie Hembree
    Yep, not sure of the unit. He still works on Wainwright and is a member on here, maybe he'll chime in. His member name is JediMasterSalmonSlayer.

Fish On!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

from 01-04
    plan on making a trip this summer

The slough is narrow in spots and shallow in a lot more. Been there a few times and the only time I made it to the lake was walking (only to find the lake still frozen). Never been there in the middle of the summer when the water was high. The picture below was taken in September and at this level you could not get into the lake in a motorized canoe without dragging it. The point where the picture was taken from was still a couple miles from the lake and as far as I could get in my jet boat at an idle. Air boat country or for those jet boat operators who still have no fear or time and energy to get unstuck - Just go for it!

I use to run up there by boat on a regular basis. I liked going because the kids could catch pike in the shallows about any time and (if the conditions were right) adults fishing the lake had a chance at nice size pike. Plus itís a huge lake and used to have very few people on it.

I quit going about 5 years ago because; with all the people going up there, I thought the run to it had become dangerous. From what little I hear there are one or two serious boat accidents a year going up to the lake.

If you do decide to go one bit of advice when heading up or down the slew. Every time you get to a hole big enough to get on step leaving. Stop your boat, shut the engine off, and listen to see if anyone else in the slew. There has been more than one accident where people were zooming down the slew like they were the only ones on the water and slammed into another boater.

Kelvin

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    The slough is narrow in spots and shallow in a lot more. Been there a few times and the only time I made it to the lake was walking (only to find the lake still frozen). Never been there in the middle of the summer when the water was high. The picture below was taken in September and at this level you could not get into the lake in a motorized canoe without dragging it. The point where the picture was taken from was still a couple miles from the lake and as far as I could get in my jet boat at an idle. Air boat country or for those jet boat operators who still have no fear or time and energy to get unstuck - Just go for it!
    I am surprised to hear you of all people couldn't get your tub in there! I have not been in there in years but new plenty of people that ran it from ice out till freeze up, granted it got real skinny in the fall. Darn global warming is drying everything up...

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I am surprised to hear you of all people couldn't get your tub in there! I have not been in there in years but new plenty of people that ran it from ice out till freeze up, granted it got real skinny in the fall. Darn global warming is drying everything up...
    I never said I couldn't just said I hadn't (Ha). Much smarter and a have lot less energy for getting unstuck than days gone by. I know of lots of pike fishing holes that are easier to get to and require less stress. It all goes back to my first attempt to get in there about 27 years ago and parking a 22 foot inboard three feet above and 6 feet from the water - Lessons learned. Idling in and looking works for me now.

There have been a couple of boat accidents in the slough and we were one of them. We were very cautiously leaving the lake and was in the slough. Every chance we had, we would stop the engine and listen, then we would creep a little more. A boat full of guys come flying around the corner and didn't give us any room at all, smacked right into us and rammed us into a tree. I flew off my seat and the coolers come flying, somehow I managed to kick them with my feet, and had our camera in my hand and somehow managed to keep that in the air. I was afraid to look in the back of the boat, I knew that my husband got the worst of it and I just knew he was going to be dead. The guys laughed about it and were going to go on, and my husband told them we needed help. They didn't want to get wet, give me a break. We unloaded the boat and it took all of them to get our boat off of the tree, that's how hard they smacked us when they hit us. No damage to them at all. Needless to say, I was quite bruised from the ordeal and was very nervous for the next 2 summers running rivers, even the ones that were really wide. We have decided that we will never go in on a weekend again or leave to come out on a weekend. This is the busiest time, weekends. Good luck with fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by akguy454 View Post
    Robbie Hembree
    I was in the Army at FRA 87-92 (B CO 2-17 and C CO 1-17) and FWA 00-03 (B CO 1-17 and HHC 1-17) I retired in 05 from FTCKY and moved back to North Pole...we may be neighbors? 22 years was enough for me. Lets go to George Lake for pike!
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Great lake for pike!

Went with Alaskacub in 2006 and caught about 50 of em in a day. Great time.
    I had on the biggest pike of my life, about 24lbs--42" or so, and 'ole Roland had no net! lol. He did his best to hand land him to no avail.
    Best bait for summer is a twisty tail in yellow or white...3" with a 1/8 to 1/4 oz jighead. Cast it and reel it slow and deep...hang on.
    Great spot, as was mentioned use caution on the slough.
    Proud to be an American!

We use to run up to George Lake in 85-86 with MWR River Boats when I was stationed at Greely. Best time to fish was just as the Lake was about 1/2 free of ice. Once the lake warmed up, it wasn't as great. I was told it was the because the lake flipped over. Anyways, we use to catch monsters up there. Almost every cast at times. Watched an old guy poled up in the weeds one day. We were watching him with FO Binos we signed out from the unit. Anyways, he was fishing with live ducklings. He'd tie a loop in the steel leader just above the treble hook, sinch the ducklings foot in the loop, loop up some line and hand toss the bird. The duckling would scurry across the water and get hung up on a lilly pad and thrash. Then it was like watching Jaws. He pulled fish from that spot that would make you scared to pee off the side of the boat. He had no clue we we were watching him. We had mentioned it to Steve Knutson the local GW back then along with Don Bunselmeyer when we got back. I don't think they ever did anything. Back then the lure of choice was a orange hot rod with a white lightning bolt thru it. Looked like a daredevil. Fun times. Haven't been back since I left Ft. Greely. Would love to go back some day.