Thread: SeaRunner Hull Extension Thread

Question SeaRunner Hull Extension Thread

Wasn't there a thread a couple of years ago about a 4' hull extension being made to a 24' SeaRunner by Ben @ SilverStreak boats here in the big ugly? I can't seem to find it anywhere on this forum.....Can someone refresh my feeble memory please?

I am not a mind reader, but I believe he is talking about a 26 Alaskan that was stretched to 30 foot, not just an extension to the bottom like the soft top referenced above. I know it was discussed here, but the search engine for this forum is worthless.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I had the work done to the one referenced above, if you have any questions. (Sold it in July and upgraded to a 26' Alaskan, still missing the filet table)
    Hi all, Erik & Jodi

Quote Originally Posted by EJPainter View Post
    I had the work done to the one referenced above, if you have any questions. (Sold it in July and upgraded to a 26' Alaskan, still missing the filet table)
    Spoiled One - This is the one I was looking for. I thought that I was brain dead when I tried searching the forums for this thread. What a pain!

EJ - I have a boatload of questions. I am toying with the idea on my 22' SeaRunner, but the math seems to show that it would be cheaper to buy a used 26' rather than extend, add new transom + repower. Do you have any pictures of it that you could share? Did Ben do the work? Did you go from the old style transom & splash board to an extended transom? How did you like the finished product?

Thanks guys.

Simple answer is YES I liked it very much. I had a 150hp on it so I didn't repower and donít think I would have, had it been a 115hp. It really made it nice, the backend seemed bigger because it added so much useable space & the fillet table was great. I noticed the biggest improvement in following seas. Mikes Welding in Sterling did the work and the cost was not all that bad. I had to move the boat forward on the trailer, with all the pot holes we have out there. That was something I didnít really think about that until it was done, the extension still hung over some. Also the top of the extension sits a little lower in the water due to were the tie in had to be, to line up to the original transom braces, I did not find this to be a problem. We took pictures of what Hewes did for bracing and improved on it. I was 110% happy with the job they did and how they worked with me on what I wanted.

I'll see what I have here at work and send you more.
    Last edited by EJPainter; 12-14-2010 at 23:42. Reason: spelling
    Hi all, Erik & Jodi

The transom on this non ET boat is different then if it was built in the factroy with the ET in mind. The Welder had to line it up with the current transom bracing, which was just under my old splash well drain holes, which put the new ET 1" lower then the old one, so the motor was lifted up 1". He had to remove the trim tabs & reiAttachment 43009nstall them after he was finished, they moved about 3/4" lower. He added more bracing inside the ET box then the Factory does too as I mentioned before.Attachment 43008
    Hi all, Erik & Jodi

Default Thanks

Did you go from 24' to 28' or something different? For some reason I can't get your attachments to open - for some reason, it's another problem that I run into on this website. I think that it has something to do with uncle bill's software

Went from 22' to 24'. Having trouble with attachments, I'll try again
    Hi all, Erik & Jodi

Just wanted to throw in a plug for Mike's Welding in Sterling; excellent shop! We had a 17' Almar Lite and had them weld in a splash tray (the boat came from the factory with just an open transom). They did some things we didn't think of, like running the gasline hoses and such thru nicely grommeted holes in the sides of the new well. Sounds like they did a great job for ej.

Just my 2 cents but instead of welding on a new transon why not just cut the boat in the middle somewhere and add in a new bottom & sides and just leave the stern alone. Thats how they have done many fiberglass boats that i know of.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Just my 2 cents but instead of welding on a new transon why not just cut the boat in the middle somewhere and add in a new bottom & sides and just leave the stern alone. Thats how they have done many fiberglass boats that i know of.
    Steve
    On my boat I have the old style transom that takes up almost the last 2' of hull with the splash well & board. By extending the transom you get rid of that contraption & actually pickup those 2' of usable deck space + get a built in fish box on the transom. The only built in fish box I have now is on the bow & I store my anchors & rope up there - I use a cooler on the back deck for a fish box. Twofootitis is a terrible disease....................

I hated the bow fish box as well, what they came up with for me with regards to the fold out (up) filet table and fish box or storage are underneath in the old splash well worked great. We could stored shrimp bait, 5 gal buckets & coils of rope in there when out on the PWS. The original splash well drain hole were left. Akdeweyj email me I'll send you more pics if you'ld like erikpainter@hotmail.com I can't get them to load up.
    Hi all, Erik & Jodi