Thread: if you could only have 4 flies to fish for king salmon what would they B

Default if you could only have 4 flies to fish for king salmon what would they B

If you could only use four flies to fish for Kings in your favorite Alaska River, what patterns would they be?

Since I threw it out there, I'll start it.
    1) Llama
    2) glow bug
    3) ESL
    4)Popsicle

What about your 2 favorite lines?
    1) Teeny T-400
    2) Dennis Dickson Chuck and Duck

Curious to see the responses.

Grits
    PS: Fav Chinook rod goes to My Sage TCR

1) ESL
    2) steelhead intruder patterns
    3) Dolly lama
    4) popsicle

the intruder patterns worked wanders for me this season.

Jumbo Critter
    Bjorn Stinger Prawn
    Personal Designed Intruder
    Llama

TCX10150-4 w/Rio Skagit Flight 750 and heavy tips
    "The Tug is the Drug"

1) Phyllis Diller (the King Killer)
    2) Haymaker
    3) Darkness
    4) Minor Threat

Skagit Compact 540/11' t-(whatever a fella needs that day), off a Loop Multi 8130.
    Alternately, Same rod w/ 30' 545gr custom longtip skagit / 14' x-fast-sink poly.

I have two replies sorry but I am old so there take that:

Skinny Water Clear and Cold : Small Green Butt Skunk (sorry habit), Glo Bug, Little Black Stone / Teeny nymph either one I am happy, & a Greeny Meany it is a back in the day fly rarely talk about from the Great Lakes

Big Water: Flash Fly Combo to match water conditions, Purple Death / Electric ESL, Popcicle, and Fat Freddies

Oh I am old! Take care all limited fishing back in OR and WA way to much Rain Eh.

Dupont: Here hold my beer, and watch this...........Sssszaaaam Dry'Fly.

Greased unweighted Muddler Minnow, first king on a fly and had 5 fish on with in 45 minutes.
    Orange Wollybugger with orange rubberlegs and black hackle to mimic the spin-n-glow.
    Black Woolybugger weighted
    Black Stone size 4
    Purple ESL

Never landed any of the kings on the muddler as I was chasing trout with a 6lb tippet.

Cool to see a 2 hander chime in!
    G. Riddle- you're my hero. LOL Going after Hawgs w/ a 6 wt.!! Reminds me of the guys who fish Kings in Wa. with a scooby Doo kids rod. Too Funny!!

Blue Moose- "I'm Old"..... Mijo, my memory goes back to when Jesus Christ had a crew cut (well a little of it does... You know, the part about the "free love" and the bell bottoms and the rayon shirt with the big ol' disco collar.. I'm having troubles re-constructing the rest). So you are in goood company. Surprised you can still get on the river at your advanced age?!! If memory serves me right, the Meeny goes back to the early 80's and the P. Marquette R., but that is where stuff starts to get hazy. Have friends in WA. and OR who are in the middle of the big brown right now. I guess if things get slow, they can always go out to the Skok valley and watch the Chum migrate down the road. Cut my teeth in a lot of those waters. Remember Dan Evans and Judge Boldt? Man, that IS the waaayback machine. Grew up on the Green between Maple Valley and Enumclaw (after my family moved up from TX).

G. Smolt: Nice Rod (admittedly- that doesn't sound right). I like the Multi's. I almost picked up that line (Loop) when I was in Montana. I used to go to Joe's (Roope) place in C'dA and drool on his stuff all the time. I've got the 4 wt. Some patterns you mention in there that I am not familiar with, but have HEARD (never seen) the P. Diller. If you're tying, I'm buying!

Grits
    Last edited by Grits Hardway; 12-16-2010 at 12:35. Reason: readability, syntax, conjugated a verb

There are a couple different Phyllis Dillers...one is a bass fly, one is a bonefish fly. I thought I was being clever a few years back when I came up with that name for a fly, then I found out about the others and didn't feel so clever.

All the rest are my patterns as well. The Haymaker is now available wherever Riverborn Fly Co. flies are sold. The Darkness is coming out in the spring of 2011, and the Minor Threat is coming out in late 2011.

Darkness

Phyllis Diller, early varation

Haymaker

No pics of Minor Threat...still in final tweaking stages.

Lip Spreading Wooly
    The King Fly Intruder
    Boss
    Half and Half
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Nice Pic.s G. Smolt. Those are some tasty looking flies. How do you keep the tubes from sliding together on the P. Diller?

Grits,

It really was a 7wt but was chasing trout with a 6 lb tippet. The wife and I went for a walk down to the creek and brought my 5wt with a mosquito tide to it. I had just read an article about if your leader falls in a pile, let drift out of the fishing lane before picking it up and disturbing the fish. I had made a cast and it did just that with the fly in the middle of the pile. I was letting it drift when about a 6 lb trout came up and took the mosquito. It ran up stream then came screaming down stream and I lost the fish. So the next morning I went down with my 7wt and a unweighted muddler. I didn't see the trout but 4 kings came up to the muddler. I did manage to keep one about 20 lbs on for about 20 minutes. I looked down at my watch and found I had 5 mins. to get to work so I broke the fish off and rush to keep my job. That was about 27 years ago. That is why I have the muddler on my list.

George

George: So you were stack casting a muddler that you were fishing as a dry fly? That's hilarious!!! Now, just because of you I will be on the Gulkana this summer stack casting huge dries. I'm going to need to take a video recorder just so I can get footage of my buddy laughing at me when that monster 'nook comes up and grabs my fly. Never thought I'd say it, but the muddlers have just earned space in my king box. If it goes viral I will post it, along with a big sign that say's "Thanks George"...
    Grits

Good Luck on ya Grits, when was the last time you were at Castaway Fly Shop? If you get back there anytime tell Joe hey from Blueberry George.