Thread: Southern Kodiak Deer/Reinbou Hunt

Default Southern Kodiak Deer/Reinbou Hunt

A group of 4 of us are planning a 2011 Mid August Hunt on Kodiak. We have never been and after research it looks like the Southwestern part of the island might be our best choice for Deer and a possible encounter with a Reinbou. Is it possible to hunt from a rental cabin or lodge and still have good hunting in August for Deer and also have a possibility at a Reindeer/Caribou or do we have to do a drop camp to be put in an area to hunt both and have decent success? Just curious. Thanks in advance!

Your best bet is a drop camp. Weather is mild in August but bring rain gear. Just north of halibut Bay is a good place to start.

AND some very good bug protection

I have done a little research on them, very interested in the hunt you are planning myself,
    have asked all around town and last August spent a few days looking out of Halibut Bay but didn't see them at all. it was tough weather for glassing tho

From what I have heard I imagine them to be further inland down to the south that early in the summer. It's a big area they are roaming so I might think landing on one of the lakes further inland to the SE would be a better plan.
    There's a thread from last Jan I think that had a fair bit of info from a guy who flew in and bowhunted up a couple of nice bulls with his buddy the yr before, might search that out and PM that guy, he's all over the story on that herd
    was something like "Reindeer/Caribou on Kodiak?" the thread title I mean

Good Luck, Post something when you get back, or PM me sometime, I'd love to talk it over some, strategize some. I hope to get some January time out there looking around this winter. Let me know if you don't find that thread
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default SW Kodiak

Check with Rolan of Sea Hawk Air. He usually keeps pretty good tabs on where the reindeer are located and can put you as near them as possible.

Plan on a lot of hiking as the reindeer are very mobile and the bucks will be as high as possible during August. Also pay close attention to both previous suggestions - bring GOOD rain gear and bug dope/insect proof clothing. You will probably need both.

Default ps

Plan on having bears around. That means watch carefully and be sure to carry "bear-stopping" ammunition. If I were to go again, I think I would carry my 375. Last time we had to deal with 2 sets of brownies - both sows with cubs. One with a 1 year cub and the other with a 2 year old cub.

It's better to be prepared and not need the preparation than it is to be un-prepared and need it - IMHO.
    Last edited by Phil; 12-13-2010 at 11:13. Reason: poor typing skills

Get up high to spot the reindeer, they will be in a herd. Beneficial because that is where the deer will be. This is later than you want to go but this is what you are looking for.

Thanks guys great info! I'll keep you guys posted on the plans of the trip and how it goes!

Default Bumble Bay

Bumble Bay is as good a spot as any for a combo deer/reindeer hunt. It's fairly protected for delivery and pick up. There are good deer up in the low hills surrounding it. And you can view a wide area from the top. The reindeer also get up in the hills there too. I found several sheds right above Bumble Bay when I seined out of there.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett