Thread: Tikka T3 lite stainless synthetic 270, 7mm-08, 30-06

Default Tikka T3 lite stainless synthetic 270, 7mm-08, 30-06

I am looking to purchase a new rifle. The only rifle that I have is a old 338 that was given to me when my grandfather passed away. It is blued and walnut Winchester Model 70. I love that gun, but on wet hunts it rusts way to easily. I still will use this gun for big bears and such, but would like something for everything else. Black bear, moose, caribou, deer, etc. I am sold on the Tikka, but having a hard time with the caliber choice. I will be both reloading for it and using factory ammo. I also have 4 boys and would like something that they could shoot when they get older. Any and all suggestions please.

I'm impressed with the T3 lite as well. Best buy out there in firearms in my opinion.

If those are the 3 calibers you are considering, go with the 30-06. It provides much move flexibility in bulllets/loads than 270 or 7mm - regardless of whether you shoot factory or handload.

My only concern is that it may have too much recoil in that light of a gun for my young boys. Where as the 270 and 7mm-08 might suit that better.

My boy started shooting a 7mm08 at 10. Worked well for him especially after I threw a Simms recoil pad for it.
    The 270 and 30-06 are going to recoil about the same with the same bullet and it will probably be too much for a youngster. If you hand-load, you can always load down and the problem is solved. You just won't have the option of going up to a heavier bullet (above 160ish) unless you go with the 30-06.

On the other hand with 4 boys, sounds like you will need multiple guns anyway.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

14 year old daughter... ruger hawkeye 30/06

12 year old daughter .270 win

12 year old step son... .308

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Love the Tikka as well. I would recomend stepping up to the 300WSM though. Especially if you will be using it now and your boys later. The recoil is very managable and it brings better knock down power than the 30-06 at extended ranges.

Just my opinion,
    John

You cannot go wrong with the Tikka T3; i bought one for my wife in a 308cal. By far the smoothest action out of the box and one of the tightest groups Iíve seen for a factory rifle.
    I like the 308 myself for those smaller frame folks, however there is more options out there for a larger cal and reduced recoil. You can go with either a break, or some of the new recoil pads.
    30-06 is one of the all time great Getter Done cal out there that you can load up or down depending on what you are hunting. It does leave you with a good kick in shoulder when fired.
    I do remember my first was a 30-06 but if you start the boys off with low impact ammo and good fundamental they should not flinch.
    Good luck and have fun

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

The T3 is a great rifle and you'll be happy with it in any one of those calibers. My wife got one in .270 as her first rifle and it will do just about anything other than brownies. I've also personnaly shot one in .338 win mag, and in my opinion, if this is going to be a learning rifle for your boys (or anything you intend to put more than a few rounds down range), a .300 win mag on up, even with a limbsaver recoil pad, would probably not be the best choice. Although the T3 holds great accuracy out to longer distances than many of us will ever shoot (along with the fact you reload), I would have to suggest the 30-06. The .270 has a sharp recoil which can take some time to get used to, and it doesn't have the options to load up or down to meet your preferences as your youngsters grow up. If I had a reloading setup when my wife was looking for hers, I probably would have nudged her in the 06's direction as well. Hope this helps.

-Justin
    Do something brave today... then run like hell
    ~~~~~~~
    The ideas of tomorrow are fashioned by those who challenge the ideas of today.

Vince
    Those are great pictures of the kids and adventures of a lifetime i am sure for you and for them.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    Vince
    Those are great pictures of the kids and adventures of a lifetime i am sure for you and for them.
    thanks! just wanted to show then with the calibers they are currently using, my girls are not that large in frame, and shoot all but my large cals. Ian is getting larger FAST! and has already asked for a larger Cal of his own, he used his moms 308 last year as she had my 300 win. thing to remember is the .270 and the .06 both have similar recoil as the only difference really is the Bullet size as they both have the same size case except in the neck.i reload them with H4350 and SR4759 both are easy burning powders and don't have the sharp kick of others.. if the OP Does not reload, he can buy managed recoil loads that will make both about the same as a .243 in the recoil Dept.

when getting the kids to shoot a larger cal. i have found that QUALITY hearing protection is the best investment, aside from the obvious reason, the BOOM is what scares them into thinking it kicks harder combine that with a good rest for the range. ( lead sled or other) that helps control the rifle they will soon get accustomed to it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here