Thread: GPS Options for Alaska

Default GPS Options for Alaska

I know this topic has been hashed out a few times here on the forum. However, technology changes all the time.

My question is in your experience, what is the best GPS for alaska hunting (regardless of price) and why? sheep, goat, moose, etc...

what brand/model has the best mapping capablities compatible with alaska, which one has the best screen resolution, which one is most durable and can handle the alaska, which one has the best battery life?

thanks for all your input. i used a garmin 60csx last year and really started to like it. on a recent hunt i misplaced it and am in the market again for a replacement.

I use a Garmin GPSMap 76 CSX for general use for work (use a Trimble for precision) and play. Much much nicer than my older eTrex Legend. It has plenty of memory to load all the base layers I need. I do a fair amount of navigation with it on lakes and it is pretty decent on battery usage. Probably the nicest aspects for recreational use is it floats and is waterproof. Outside of marine navigation, there isn't anything the 76 CSX won't do that I need. I believe that model is discontinued and I'm not sure how it compares the 60 CSX. Generally speaking, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Garmin products.

Soldotna AK, Eugene, OR

I like the Garmin Rino 530hcx, I always have a couple and give on to my partner or someone at base camp. I can down load all of Alaska topo, We used them on Adak when hunting, they are waterproof and can be recharged with a solar charger or you can get a AA battery pack.