Thread: 22-250 for deer ??

Default 22-250 for deer ??

What is a good bullet to load for deer in the 22-250 ? I want something that will stay together in a 55-60 grain bullet but not a fmj. I'd also like to slow it down a lot because of the tremendous shock the 250 creates and reduce damage to the meat. Is it possible to slow it down to say a 22 Hornet numbers ? Thanks for any help.

I shot a deer this year with a 22-250 in the neck at 100+ yards. dropped him dead and didn't mess up anything. Not sure what bullet. I just grabbed a handfull out of the safe!
    Faron Floyd
    Vice President
    American Airboat Corp
    airboatcapt2@aol.com
    409-920-0716 Cell
    1-800-241-6390 Office
    www.americanairboats.com
    "The Quality Remains long after the Price is Forgotten!

Nosler makes a 60gr Partition in .224 and Trail Boss is known or reduced loads.

In the link below there is a brief note on how to determine reduced loads with Trail Boss. There is an example with a 22-250 and a 55gr bullet. Basically mark your case were the bullet base would set and fill to that line as a max load. Never compress this powder as it will break up and change the burn rate.

I know a guy that loads heavy bullets in a suppressed .308 with this stuff and it's crazy slow and accurate.

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Run a ballistic chart at measured velocities used during load development and make sure you're operating at velocities fast enough for your planned bullet to expand. Looking at the example with the 55gr bullet their max load was only moving 1984fps. That will reduce your killing range quite a bit with a 60gr bullet. I thinking from the muzzle to 100 yards will be about it...

http://www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx

I have taken quite a few deer using my AR-15 in .223 cal. I was using Nosler 60grain partitions, and was pushing them out at approximately 2950 FPS. They did the job, that's for sure. Just had to make sure not to take a shot longer then 150 yards. Shooting them from a 22-250, IMHO I think the 60 grain partitions will do just fine. So long as you put the bullet where it needs to go. Which shouldn't be hard to do with the 22-250. They are
    known for being an accurate cartridge. Speed wise, I would shoot somewhere between 3000 FPS and 3300 FPS keep shots limited; no farther that 250 yards. I never recovered
    any of my bullets from any of my deer. However; I never seen any fragments. So it was
    in and out. All four deer were shot, just below the white spot on the neck. Farthest one
    went 80 yards. The rest went less then 10 to 20 yards. It can be done brother just give it
    a try...

Back in my younger days I killed a heck of a lot of deer with my .22-250 using a 70 grain Speer semi-spitzer. The rifle I used at the time was a factory Remington 700 ADL so I assume the barrel had a 1-14 twist. These bullets were very accurate and most shots were neck or head shots but several bucks were killed with a behind the shoulder shot. I realize you asked about a 55-60 grain bullet but your rifle may shoot the 70 grain bullet very well. JMHO
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I've had decent luck with a 55 grain Sierra GameKing on deer and similar sized critters out of a 22-250 and a 223 AI. Shot a whitetail doe last fall with the AI, had a relatively small entrance and exit wound, she ran maybe 40 yards, but one was all it took.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Here is what I would use if I still used the 22-250 for deer. 35gr RL15, WW cases, BR2 primers, 60gr PT. It clocked 3500 over the chrono coming out of my Savage. I plan on using this for coyotes this calling season.

I also did a little initial work with H4895 and 34gr's of it was clocking 3600+ out of my Savage and shot pretty well also.

I would think either of those two would work okay for deer. I used the old 52gr Speer a little back before I joined the Marine Corps for deer culling in apple orchards, and those would knock the stuffing out of deer when placed well also. Scotty
    Semper Fi

Are you allowed to hunt Deer with that Cal. in your state ? Some say .25 or .30 cal or better.

Nice bullet chunking by the way

Thank you. Hopefully as the load gets tuned a little, it should tighten up, but I am thinking it is more ME than the load or rifle! Scotty
    Semper Fi

If I were forced to hunt deer with my 22-250, which I swore off long ago for deer. I would stick to the Barnes TSX, there is no need to slow them down, they don't come apart and won't ruin much meat.

As for slowing the velocity down to hornet speeds, I have to ask why? If it's in the name of saving meat you probably won't have to worry about ruining meat at those velocities, because you'll either shoot them in the noggin where there is no meat to lose or you likely won't have to worry too much about getting any steaks if your taking body shots. Would you hunt deer with a a 22 Hornet? I **** sure wouldn't and consider it a stunt.

If you must use your 22-250 for deer use a TSX at high velocity. Otherwise and as my recommendation, which you can take or leave as you see fit is use a bigger rifle, no such thing as too dead.

The Federal Trophy Bonded Bearclaw 62gr factory 22-250 has worked well for my kids with one shot kills on Mule Deer Doe out to 200yds using an old Remington 788.