Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep hunt

Default Sheep hunt

I know that most of the posts on here from hunting excursions are successful harvest stories. This posting is of the first hunt that my two brothers and I shared together, ever.

We grew up in a hunting family, but since my youngest brother is 8 years younger and I moved away from home to join the CG soon after I turned 18, us three brothers have never lived in the same town. Two of us at a time have gotten together, but three hunting together never happened until this year. I live in Kodiak, one brother lives in Kenai, and the other lives in Idaho.

The hunt this year was for sheep, and we locked in our plans early in the year. The hunt was something Iíll remember for the rest of my life, and hopefully this will be the start of repeated hunts together.

As I said, we didnít harvest a ram, but that wasnít for lack of trying. It seems there werenít any full curl rams left in the area. We probably saw around 100 sheep at varying distances over the 8 days in the field, and we saw maybe a handful ĺ curls and quite a few smaller Ĺ curls. Ewes and lambs seemed to be in good shape too, but the elusive full curl was never spotted, which tells us this area had been hunted more heavily than when my brother last hunted their 5 years ago. We also watched a beautiful sow grizzly with two cubs that looked to be in their second year for a long time while we continued spotting for sheep. She and the cubs were spectacular. Donít bother asking where we were (not that youíd want to since we didnít score), but my brother swore us to secrecy. Who knows, the population may bounce back in 5 years if left alone.

So, I hope you enjoy the pictures. Donít let the ones of the beautiful weather fool you though. We only enjoyed good weather during short breaks in the rain and also the last two days, but by then weíd covered the country pretty well from two campsites. The last two days we kept covering ground hoping the big boy would show, but we also got to enjoy some beautiful evenings by the camp fire sipping good drinks, celebrating our time together smoking some good cigars, and rehashing family relationships and funny stories.

Oh yeah, I lied, we did make one harvest. A rat b-turd ground squirrel that chewed into our food stash to eat some of our oatmeal. He was stupid, and he paid in a DLP trap that my brother brought with him.

SheepHunt2010 017.jpgSheepHunt2010 014.jpg
    Last edited by HuntKodiak; 12-11-2010 at 23:03. Reason: Forgot to format after pasting from Word

Looking down and across as we look and spot.

SheepHunt2010 023.jpgSheepHunt2010 020.jpg

Awesome pics HK!! What a venue for 3 brothers to reconnect in, there is simply something magical about the sheep hills!

Time to take some time to enjoy the evening after many days of climbing.

SheepHunt2010 132.jpgSheepHunt2010 122.jpg

Doing our duty to clean up after those that came before us, we picked up this can of Fosters on our way back to camp. And not wanting to waste the beer, my brother flame sterilized the lip so we could empty the can. After all, why load down the plane with full beverages on the return trip.

SheepHunt2010 089.jpg

And this picture pretty much sums up how I felt when I wasn't agonizing over climbing on some of the steep slopes and when my knees weren't killing me.

SheepHunt2010 080.jpg

Fact is I don't know if I'll be able to go on another sheep hunt or not. Brother tells me this wasn't too bad in the scope of things for sheep hunts. It wasn't a piece of cake, but I know there's a lot worse. However, as the hunt progressed, my knees (especially my left one that's already been worked on once) stopped me a couple times. I ended up stopping short of the top that was our destination, and they both continued to the top. We ended up spotting more area as a result, but I was concerned about how much I was slowing them down. Particularly my youngest brother who really got himself in his best shape ever for this hunt. Really proud of him.

Very glad we did the hunt, and while we talk regularly by phone to keep each other current of what's going on in our lives, this was of course much better than talking by phone. So, another reason for posting this (besides filling your heads with winter hunting thoughts during drawing application time) was to say, don't postpone or miss opportunities to get out their with your family and good friends. You don't want to assume that you'll always be able to do climb the tallest mountain or carry the heaviest pack.

Good hunting!

Mike

Sounds like a great trip with family. Come on now, you got some juice left in those legs, get out there and try it again next year!! If anything maybe a trip alittle less strenuous, float hunt??? Thanks for the story.

Great Story and Pics, That is some intense country, and very nicely captured for memories and dreaming for the rest of us.

Hope you can get another hunt in, maybe more, looks like you guys know how to enjoy the mtns
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Wonderful story and pictures. Sharing with family the precious time we have on earth. Do it again.

Awesome pics and wonderful times spent in the mountains regardless of animals harvested. Look forward to someday sheep hunting with my bro and nephew.

CGSwimmer, Rest assured, I'll be out there again. I just have to be carefull about chasing sheep around the jagged peaks. Brother in Kenai and I have a spring BB hunt that I PM'd you about. That could be a bit of a bugger depending on the snow we get around here this winter.

Told my brother in Kenai that I think I'd rather bash alders around here after goats than deal with the steep slopes with rocks and shale. Harder on the knees and other afflictions I have from my CG time, and while I've never been too skitish about heights, there were a few times I told my brothers that I just had to focus on the ground and follow them because my anxiety level was getting up there. Ever since battling vertigo in the late 80's, my balance isn't as sharp. An inner ear or brain thing. Probably a few others out there with the same problem since vertigo isn't all that uncommon. So, I just have to acknowledge my limits (thanks Clint Eastwood) so I don't take a free roll down the mountain.

Of course that's hard to do. Just ask my brothers. I don't like to loose and get mad & upset at the same time when I have to pull up. Happened on this hunt, and happened when I was on a Zachyr Bay goat hunt too. But after the initial flood of emotions, I move on.

I love being out there when I can. Wish we'd made the time to do this together earlier in life. That's part of my point for posting. Thanks for all the positive comments!

Mike

Definately the best way to spend time with loved ones. Thanks for sharing your pictures and story with the rest of us. Proof positive that you don't have to kill something to have a wonderful time!

Great report and photos, nothing like spending time afield with family and friends. Looks like you may have hunted late season from the amount of brown. Thanks for sharing.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks Steve. Yup, early Sept.

Mike,

I guess if it was easy everyone would be a sheephunter a little heart goes a long way. Im not in the shape I use to be in but I don't let it stop me slow in steady seems to work. I too am afraid off the day that my limitations will stop me but for now Im booking every year and not looking back.Sharing a hunting trip with a great friend or family is absoultely the best memories thats awesome you guys took the time to do it.Great post great story great scenery but ima coors light fan.

Tim
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast