Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FNAWSalaska

Default FNAWSalaska

Did FNAWSalaska ever get back in action?

They changed their name to the Wild Sheep Foundation. Here is a link current Sept 2010: http://www.wildsheepfoundation.org/Page.php/cp/Chapters

It would appear not, as the Alaska chapter's website is almost 3 years out of date. If they're around, they certainly aren't making it known very well

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Steven Flory (President)
    Really? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    It would appear not, as the Alaska chapter's website is almost 3 years out of date. If they're around, they certainly aren't making it known very well
    That is the same thing that I said when this was brought up last year. From my current view that is a dead organization, honestly it nevr seemed to get on track after the "transition" from FNAWS. The website has always been a joke and I wouldn't have let it see the light of day with a slew of pics of non Dall Sheep. In fact the one "Dall" on the main page looks to me to be a "Texas Dall" which is like anchoring the SI swimsuit edition with Rosy O'Donnell. I am in no position to help resurrect it at the moment but do plan on putting some time into it once I am back in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    In fact the one "Dall" on the main page looks to me to be a "Texas Dall" which is like anchoring the SI swimsuit edition with Rosy O'Donnell. I am in no position to help resurrect it at the moment but do plan on putting some time into it once I am back in AK.
    Did you have to go there on the Texas Dall? I wouldn't expect these guys to jump up and down with excitement of your offer for help. Back when I was an idealist I sent Heimer a pretty long letter describing my background and asking to help...no reply.

Where one Organization fails another can succeed. Worst case just start a new one.

Default Hey Chisana, FYI...

...Flory is also now the chair of the Anchorage Advisory Committee after SFW and the 2nd Amendment Task Force pushed to have him elected last year. I hope hunters are paying attention.

The organization is not functioning very well or with Alaskan's needs in mind. I believe last year when there was a proposal before the board of game to have the resident sheep season start two days before the nonresident season, someone claiming to represent Alaska FNAWS stated that AK FNAWS did not support such a change to the current regulations. Being a life member of FNAWS I was rather surprised by this stance and tried to contact the Alaska FNAWS and got no response.

Its pretty sad that our state can't hold this chapter of the organization together... especially for the best interest and the future of sheephunting, I'm with Lujon on this, I'm willing to put time and effort into it, count me in !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    That is the same thing that I said when this was brought up last year. From my current view that is a dead organization, honestly it nevr seemed to get on track after the "transition" from FNAWS. The website has always been a joke and I wouldn't have let it see the light of day with a slew of pics of non Dall Sheep. In fact the one "Dall" on the main page looks to me to be a "Texas Dall" which is like anchoring the SI swimsuit edition with Rosy O'Donnell. I am in no position to help resurrect it at the moment but do plan on putting some time into it once I am back in AK.
    If you're going to work on their website, I wish you luck. You will be fighting an uphill battle to get any kind of input, direction, or cooperation. I've been down that road with the website for another Alaska non-profit outdoor organization and I won't do it again. If you're working for free, then that's what you're worth.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

This post resurrects itself every six months, the sad thing is it always ends the same. Good people ready and willing to help out but an organization in such dissaray that they can't even reach out and utilize free help. It seems that someone from the organization usually replies with what little information they have.

In a state where sheep hunting is a religion to some and where sheep are held in such high regard, FNAWS or some other sheep organization will eventually step up to support sheep in Alaska. We can only hope it's support is aimed at putting sheep on the mountain for the resident hunter and doesn't push the resident aside in favor of the guiding industry.

I am a sheep hunting nut and I always keep my membership up. However, we haven't received an issue of the The Ram for almost a year. Not to happy about that. Tom Lamal put the last thing about a 2 day head start for residents in and Pete Buist who is a guide and member of FNAWS supposedly shot it down. I don't think he was on the board of directors, he just claimed it and used it to cut at the new proposal.
    Wildsheep or what ever it is. I think they really need to be careful or we Alaskan hunters will just jump ship and make the GrandSlam/Ovis the local chapter that represents Alaskan Sheep hunters. I like Wayne and he knows sheep but Wildsheep sure isn't pushing very strong right now.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Really? Really?
    My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68
    Tom Lamal put the last thing about a 2 day head start for residents in and Pete Buist who is a guide and member of FNAWS supposedly shot it down. I don't think he was on the board of directors, he just claimed it and used it to cut at the new proposal.
    Thomas,

I started a thread in the game mgmt forum last summer specifically on Tom Lamal's proposal, and transcribed Pete's testimony to the Board of Game and the Q&A from board members afterward. I do think Pete really was representing the Wild Sheep Foundation (WSF)- Alaska chapter. They also sent in written comments. I was also at the meeting in 2008 when a similar proposal was voted down. I don't think it has so much to do with the WSF shooting these type of resident-preference proposals down, it's more the guide industry in general, APHA and the other orgs that are tied to the guide industry.

Only one Alaska org I know of supported Tom's proposal and an early resident-only sheep season: AK BHA.

Back in 2008 I had a very lengthy discussion with Ed Lee, who at the time represented national FNAWS. He had flown up for the spring BOG meeting and to deal with FNAWS Alaska chapter issues (It was still FNAWS then, prior to the result of the lawsuit with GSO.) We met to discuss the problems with the Alaska chapter, specifically the problems they encountered because Flory was, at the time, on their board. Ed and national were pretty ticked off about that, but there was nothing in the bylaws (at that time) that allowed them to remove Flory from the AK chapter board. Heimer consistently defended him here on the forum too, and I respect him wanting to do that, but he just wasn't seeing the big picture of what so many hunters and other orgs were saying.

That whole chain of events affected many other orgs, who have since put in their bylaws certain rules about board members and chairs etc, that they cannot be convicted felons. For obvious reasons. The fact that Flory is now listed as the President of the Alaska chapter of WSF simply boggles the mind. Nothing personal against Flory, it's just that having a listed sex-offender on any hunting organization board, or as President or Chair of an org or AC, just doesn't set a good example. I don't think it should be allowed.

In any case, Don Peay will fill the vacuum. His new Fullcurl Society is already trying. I am continually surprised and disappointed that so many resident sheep hunters don't understand the big money and power and clout involved when it comes to ensuring Dall sheep hunting in Alaska won't have a clear resident preference like every other state in the union that has sheep.

The only way that will change is if resident hunters start jumping on the bandwagon for increased resident hunting license fees and also support fees for a sheep harvest ticket. This takes away the argument always used that we depend on nonresident sheep hunter license fees and if we cut allocation we lose all that funding. On top of that, nonres license fees and sheep tag fees need to also go up. In addition, resident hunters also need to support a statewide cap on nonresident sheep allocations like other states do, in the 10-15% range, which is what the Board finally did for Unit 14. We also do that for TMA. It needs to go statewide!

In talking with BOG members about our sheep and sheep hunting, one thing consistently comes out, the belief that it's "only a matter of time" before all sheep hunting (res and non-res) goes to draw only. Basically, the guide industry in general is just ensuring that non-resident sheep hunters have the same opportunity they have now for as long as possible. This hurts the resident hunter and the sheep. And it continues to cause conflicts in the field.

Selah,

So what do we need to do? and what will it cost to get this chapter/organization going again?...I have some experience on proffesional organizations being a military retiree......this be be different, but I'm game !!!

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    So what do we need to do? and what will it cost to get this chapter/organization going again?...I have some experience on proffesional organizations being a military retiree......this be be different, but I'm game !!!
    I agree that a group of dedicated high mountain rabbit hunters should come together. I also would like to see tom's proposal start up again.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post

Only one Alaska org I know of supported Tom's proposal and an early resident-only sheep season: AK BHA.

Wow, don't want to hijack this thread, but as a several-year member of the Idaho BHA, I'm shocked that the Alaska org has chosen to put itself into any 'nonresident' debate...very disappointing.

I'll be contacting my local chapter tomorrow to ascertain whether we have a similar stance here in my home state. BHA should involve itself in preserving a hike-in, back country hunting experience, not non-resident issues.

Sorry again for the hijack.
    Proud to be an American!

Default sheep organization

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    We can't just sit and not have a sheep organization when so many of us are dedicated to sheep and sheep hunting in AK. Somebody come up with something and put out a call for others to join in!

Dear Mark,

I guess I remember the very old FNAWS operation that used to have Bob Hodgson, Tony Russ, Lyman Nichols and Wayne Heimer together with Duncan Gilchrist around a coffee table together in the late 1980s and early 1990s. They had a pretty decent copy of the Ram and the local people provided plenty of support.
    There are many well-heeled Alaskan Sportsmen that are starting to get pissed. They have had enough of the iron fist that many of those in the guiding industry have imposed on sheep issues. It wouldn't take much to get some of the wealthiest people in Alaska behind something that supported Alaskans. That's not to say that I am an elitist anti-nonresident and I am not anti-guide. Some guides have that old school view of supporting the resource and building a population that is healthy and workable.

I think that if you starting building a good nonprofit that can holistically support Alaskan residents I can find you sheep hunters. I haven't conversed with Ed Rasmussen at the Harvard Club for a while and I know that Ralph Seekins, whose grandson is a student in my class, contributes the rifle that WildSheep always raffles off. I bet many of the old guides who are disgusted with the present course would jump on. They are a rascally wild-eyed group that can shake cages better than any monkey. I also spend my summers with all of those "subsistence" hunters that used to provide a great deal of financial support to FNAWS. Hell, My Sheep hunting mentor is retired and could go active sheep nuts full time.

Give me the address to this full curl society and if they are legit than FNAWS/WildSheep Org can just bite the dust.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast