Thread: Newbie with random sheep questions

Default Newbie with random sheep questions

First question other than rain gear what is the opinion on hoods bad or good? A backcountry hiker friend of mine said I might want to get a new soft shell hunting jacket since mine has a hood and the alders will hang me with it.

I did some pack rafting this summer prior to my shoulder surgery, and I used to white water kayak. Has anyone successfully used a packraft to bring out their sheep?

If so did you float the meat in it and line it down river or did you just paddle out with the meat and all?

If you paddled out what size pack raft did you use and how did it perform under that load?

I have a long hard road to get back into shape after two injuries and a major surgery, but I am really excited for the experience of hunting in the beautiful (and harsh) high country. If I get to kill a legal ram well that is icing on the cake.

Merc, I myself have not used a pacraft, but I have talked with those who have. They sound like the real deal to me. If I were you, I would move this question to the float hunting or rafting thread. There are a lot of guys on those forums who could give you some sound advice.

Busted alot of brush over many years wearing a hooded jacket, never been hung by the alders because of it. I do not generaly prefer to wear a hooded jacket but, if I am on a sheep hunt that means one jacket. A hooded jacket will keep you warmer and drier than a non-hooded jacket. A lightweight, tough, waterproof hooded jacket is the ticket.

Several folks on here that've used packrafts (AlaskaLanche?) to haul sheep as well as inflatable kayaks and small rafts.

on the other topic...

I personally won't own a jacket without a hood- its like a hat I can't lose. Never had an issue hanging up in the alders...well not the hood hanging up in the alders. Everything else-yes.

Drop me a PM, if you are in the Fairbanks area we can have lunch and chat.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks for all the reponses. I am glad to hear I don't have to ditch my tried and test hooded jacket my friend Chris made it sound like a very common occurence with the alders hanging it up. That picture is definitely has my hope up!

Check out the Russell Outdoors APXg2 at Sportsman's Warehouse. I've been testing it out and being pretty hard on it up in the chugach mts. the last few weeks and it has been great so far. They make a layering system similar to fit and performance of sitka gear and being about 1/3 the price of what sitka is.

You WANT a hood....that is a given.

Quote Originally Posted by Finley View Post
    You WANT a hood....that is a given.
    Waterproof hood is nice, I always get the rainy days.

Founding Member

If your buddy thinks you should lose the hood then what does he think about carrying a pack? If I am in the alders a pretty much always have my pack on and the hood is tucked against it. Do a search for "packraft" or "Alpacka" in the hunting section and there are several pictures of full curl rams adorning the bow of packrafts!

If its not raining, the wind is blowing and it is cold. I love sheep hunting.

Layers, Layers, Layers,

Quick drying, insulating, and at least one waterproof layer.

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by rubyrod View Post
    Check out the Russell Outdoors APXg2 at Sportsman's Warehouse. I've been testing it out and being pretty hard on it up in the chugach mts. the last few weeks and it has been great so far. They make a layering system similar to fit and performance of sitka gear and being about 1/3 the price of what sitka is.
    I am glad to hear you say that about the Russell product. I have seen it advertised on TV a good bit but have not had any using reports on them.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Limited Sheep hunting experience, but 3 years of packraft experience so take this with a grain of salt.

The only successful sheep hunt I have been on we split a sheep between the two of us and put our 90 lb packs in your packrafts in a boney little creek that crept up to about class II. Bank of getting soaked and not being able to steer too rapidly when you have that much weight in the bow. It can be done and it is fun, but had it not been a gorgeous sunny day on the day we floated with the sheep it would have been less than fun. A hint is to wear only your a base layer and your rain gear. Otherwise the water sits next to you and stays there.

Packrafts are a lot of fun and open up a lot of country just know the river or creek you plan to float and the limitations of a heavily loaded packraft and you should be fine given your whitewater kayak experience.

As far as hoods on coats. I dont see it being a problem. My puffy coat has a hood that can be zipped away and it stays like that most of the time. If you have a good warm lightweight coat certainly dont buy one cause you think you need one without a hood. I only really have 3 layers on my sheep hunts. Merino wool base layer (so I dont stink as bad at the end of a week) a puffy jacket insulating layer, and then a quality rain shell. Between these 3 layers I am pretty well set for anything down to about 10 degrees or colder.

I plan to be scouting sheep areas on this summer backpack/packrafting trips so we shall see what I come up it. Looking forward to it no doubt.

Here is a couple motivation packraft/sheep hunt pics from this past falls sheep hunt.

Have fun and good luck come August.

Awesome pictures and advice. Unfortunately my sheep dreams will have to wait until 2012, because I will be serving as my battalion's rear detachment commander while they deploy to Afghanistan. I will be stuck to a three hour window from Fort Wainwright. I can do over night hunting trips but I have to take an ALMAR radio with me so that if the battalion takes an casualties overseas I can get back to base within three hours from getting the call. Since sheep are not possible I am going to focus on getting all my gear assembled and buying a packraft (I rented the ones I used so far). So lots of conditioning hikes on Birch Hill, Chena Rec, and the White Mountains. I planning some off trail hikes with camping at altitude to test my gear by the Black Rapids Training Area, and practice packrafting on the Chena and Chatanika. I will stay right along the Richardson so that if I get the call I can work down the mountain to the Highway and drive back to base. I am guessing I can also practice glassing sheep in that area, and I plan on doing that June and July so I don't get in the way of any guys actually hunting who got to draw permits when the season opens in that controlled use area. I might try to hike into mountains and float back to my truck via Jarvis Creek has anyone ever ran it? It looks pretty boney when I have been training there in the summer.

So other than training and testing sheep gear next year I will be hunting black bear, brown bear, and moose near Fairbanks. Thankfully I will have 60 days of leave in starting 1 August 2012. I plan to hunt and fish all of August and September so that will make up for the year of being trapped local to Fairbanks.

So in regards to the raft, do you hike it all the way in and then float out?

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    So in regards to the raft, do you hike it all the way in and then float out?
    Those packrafts come in under 5 pounds. https://www.alpackaraft.com/store/in...D=68&do=detail

Stid and Lanches reports from earlier this year made it sound like the packrafts were cached down by the creeks and the sheep were packed down to them, then floated out.

Stid's hunt report: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...oks+bear+sheep

Lanche's hunt report: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...sheep+packraft

Thanks Scott