Thread: Old Remington Factory Ammo

Default Old Remington Factory Ammo

I picked up a box of 350 rem mag stuff at a gun show today. In it there are several boxes of factory ammo. Some of it is newer yellow and green box stuff, while there are several boxes of the old green and white boxes. There is one box of the old stuff that has the brass colored primers, and there are several other boxes of the old stuff that has silver primers. Was there a time when Remington used silver primers instead of the brass colored ones used today? Is there a way to tell if these are reloads? Thanks for any help.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

quote: "...old stuff that has silver primers. Was there a time when Remington used silver primers instead of the brass colored ones used today?"

Yup. Here's a pic of some old factory ammo in Savage 22hp with the silver colored primer. I'd be curious to see what era this ammo dates from.

- Jay

Poked around a little regarding the age of the green/white carteidge boxes and found this:

http://www.rtgammo.com/

A quick read there seems to indicate that this style of box was used from pre WWII through 1962+/-

Thanks for the info. I would say that my ammo is just slightly newer than your old remington factory box.

I've still got a bunch of brass colored Remington 9 1/2 primers from the 60's I used to use for reloading. Not sure when they switched to nickel plating.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

The ammo in the old boxes appears to be factory loaded. There are no sizing marks or rings on the brass and there is a slight crimp on all the cartridges.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default No Data on the BOX???

It sure sounds like they are factory loads.

You can usually tell a FL by looking at the shoulders. If they're not sharp, all filled out, they're FLs.

Also, every FL I've seen has been crimped.

There may be some FLs some cartridges, somewhere that aren't crimped, but I've never encountered them. Close examination usually reveals a cannelure groove, and a crimp.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    It sure sounds like they are factory loads.

You can usually tell a FL by looking at the shoulders. If they're not sharp, all filled out, they're FLs.

Also, every FL I've seen has been crimped.

There may be some FLs some cartridges, somewhere that aren't crimped, but I've never encountered them. Close examination usually reveals a cannelure groove, and a crimp.

Smitty of the North
    Yea, they are all crimped and the brass looks brand new. No die marks, no sizing marks, nothing like that. One of the boxes below the lot number has a another number that is a letter then 070. So i'm thinking that box is probably from 1970.