Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $100 hambuger!?!?

Default $100 hambuger!?!?

hey guys, trying to get out of the house and avoid cabin fever. I got wheel/skiis, and was wondering any good places to take the wifey out for an afternoon hamburger.
    Talkeetna is a nice flight and a walk into town for some GREAT food.
    Is the little diner in the kenai airport open at all? If so what are the hours?
    Float pilot, anything near by (walking distance) of the homer airport? Been a few years (12) since i was down there?
    I know about luces out on the river, as well as yetna station and shell lake lodge.
    Any other suggestions?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Clear sky Lodge may be a little further then you plan... but has and Air strip immediately behind it. (mp 280 parks highway)

great steaks and burgers.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I used to like to fly to the Summit Lake Lodge and land on the lake with skis for lunch. It was a nice quick hop when I was living in Girdwood.
    Louis Knapp

The resturant at Kenai Airport is alive and well, don't know the hours of operation but I eat lunch there once in awhile, good food at a reasonable price.

Thanks guys!! I forgot to add eureka as well

That lodge on lake lucille in wasilla, or mat su resort on wasilla lake.

Once or twice a summer my wife and I will fly to Girdwood for lunch at Chair 5. We fly East out of Birchwood out over Eklutna Lake, over the ridge near Bold Peak, then around Lake George to 20 Mile River, then we hang a right into Turnagain Arm and stop in Girdwood for lunch. We head home via Crow Pass or Indian Valley Pass to avoid the Anchorage airspace (and for better scenery) and always enjoy ourselves.

Sunrise at Kenai Lake.. State Airport behind it and Kenai Lake right there too.. Best Buffalo burgers I have had and the Blueberry pie is to die for. Not remote, but delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Once or twice a summer my wife and I will fly to Girdwood for lunch at Chair 5. We fly East out of Birchwood out over Eklutna Lake, over the ridge near Bold Peak, then around Lake George to 20 Mile River, then we hang a right into Turnagain Arm and stop in Girdwood for lunch. We head home via Crow Pass or Indian Valley Pass to avoid the Anchorage airspace (and for better scenery) and always enjoy ourselves.
    That is a really nice flight. You can also cut through a valley from Lake George into Winner Creek and Girdwood. I used to fly through Crow Pass from Girdwood to Eagle river, then continue up to Palmer. I'd walk to downtown and stop in a restaurant there (can't remember the name) that served really good pie.

If you're flying along Turnagain Arm you can always hop over to Hope. It's a relatively short, pretty walk from the airport over to Tito's cafe...Louis
    Louis Knapp

Not be a downer but I believe Mat SU resort is closed and that the restaurant at Lake Lucille moved to the Grand View with not airplane access there.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Not be a downer but I believe Mat SU resort is closed and that the restaurant at Lake Lucille moved to the Grand View with not airplane access there.
    Yes, and if the Summit Lake Lodge is the one on the Kenai, it is closed for the winter nowadays. Caribou Lake out of Homer may be open (?????). They used to have killer burgers. I agree about the Sunrise cafe. Aways good food.

I second the Sunrise Cafe next to the Quartz Creek Runway.
    Kenai has the cafe which is not bad. Plus there is a very nice but slightly expensive fancy sandwich place only a couple of blocks away. I think it is called Charlottes Cafe.
    Homer has Cee-Cee's greasy spoon right at the airport next to Smokey Bay Air. But she closes early when she decided to open.
    Starvin Marvin's Pizza is a short walk from the Airport, OR land on Beluga Lake and go to MacDonalds, The Sourdough Bakery or a little longer walk to any of the other eating joints in the down-town Homer area.
    Seldovia has a couple places to eat, but I do not know their winter hours...

I used to like to land on Big Lake and go to the old Call of the Wild. I wonder if it is still there?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Wasilla used to be a much better $100 hamburger destination before they relocated the airport. There was the restaurant at one end of the mall next to the old runway, or you could go to Wendy's at the other end...Louis
    Louis Knapp

"The Call" has been gone for a few years.. Burned down. I think the "Islander" has some eats.

Sheep Mountain Lodge is another place with great food. I think they close in the winter now. Anyone know if Skwentna Lodge is still open?

skwenta lodge is still open as far as I know, it's a bit of a walk from the airport there. Super nice people.
    Flew out to illimna yesterday, gorgeous day,nothing open out there that we found, but we did pick up some parts for a buddy of mine.
    keep the ideas coming!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Yes, and if the Summit Lake Lodge is the one on the Kenai, it is closed for the winter nowadays. Caribou Lake out of Homer may be open (?????). They used to have killer burgers. I agree about the Sunrise cafe. Aways good food.

Caribou Lake lodge closed a few years ago... family issues. A new lodge opened up about a mile from the lake (59.8796N 151.09056 W) called CCL, which is far better than Caribou Lake lodge, but is not easily accessible by plane at this point. In a few years, if I get the chance, I might bulldoze in a small strip nearby if easements allow.

Shell Lake Lodge or Skwentna Lodge have good food and air access.

Fly out to Wolf Lake airport, taxi to the far West end and walk over to my house (about 300 yds) and I'll grill a burger up for ya sometime.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    skwenta lodge is still open as far as I know, it's a bit of a walk from the airport there. Super nice people.
    Flew out to illimna yesterday, gorgeous day,nothing open out there that we found, but we did pick up some parts for a buddy of mine.
    keep the ideas coming!

Next time you fly out to Iliamna stop by and I will give you a great meal. I am located on Sixmile Lake.
    JOHN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast