Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predator Ride

Default Predator Ride

I was curious what everybody uses to get to predators (besides trucks and the highway)? Here's what I'm using and how it's set up. Note the FoxPro CS-24, seat, and Bi-pod are all held on with one, very easy to use cam-lock strap? From the second I stop the machine, it's a silent effort to grab all of my stuff and walk to where I want to call. The CS-24 will take more abuse than my body can handle riding on the back of that thing as well, so no worries about damaging the thing. Under the caller and seat is a small action packer stuffed with extra socks, gloves, hats, extra batteries (Never need them for day trips), snacks, water, fire starter, matches, lighters, satellite phone...etc. This was from today's new scouting area. Lots of sign but the wind was against me. I'll be back in there to get them on a more agreeable day.

I've got a Ski-doo Summit 670, with my "kit" strapped in the basket. I keep my savage .22-250 on my back, but I am looking for a case that can bolt to my sled.
    I have some front handle bar bags, and I keep water, a Jet boil, and my .22 mag pistol in those for easy access.

You'd definitely win in a race to the predators tailwind, that's for sure. I had the rifle on my back today, but will put it in the boot at times too depending on if it's an area where I'm hitting a bunch of stands, or if I'm traveling a nasty, bumpy trail. Jetboil....that's a good idea, I'll toss mine in that Action Packer along with a mountain house or two, just in case. Have you every had the chance to shoot anything from your sled with the .22 mag pistol? + Reply to Thread

2010 Tundra LT 550F. Still working on the storage for the back rack. Right now I use an old action packer. One ratchet strap holds it in place, usually. Haven't gotten the courage to mount a gun rack, always worried all the bouncing around would nock something in the scope so I usually have it on my back. How far are you guys walking from your sled once you stop and how long you all wait before firing up the calls?

I use my summit 800h.o to get to them and strangly enough my 2 stroke with A can that screams seems to have no effect on them I still have success even with the loud machine I have a similar setup I have a small action packer on the tunnel rack emergency stuff and I have my everlestock pack with scabbard that my caller and little foam seat are in and my handcalls go around my neck and inside the coat to stay warm

woundedknee,
    I've never had a rifle scope lose zero after riding in the gun-boot. I'm surprised, since the trails I ride can pound the daylights out of me. It depends on the distance I walk from the machine. I let the terrain and trail dictate how far I walk from the machine. I've walked 20 yards from the machine and called animals and I've walked 500 yards from the machine and called animals. If it's thick and I can stash the machine pretty good, I don't go far. I usually start calling right away.

the guy who takes me hunting has an fj40 toyota land cruiser (for some reason its gained the reputation as the "40 on 40s")with 40inch swamper boggers. we actualy took her for a spin today! it is by far the ideal rig for our hunting, trapping, and fishing needs.

Maybe my ride is my problem.....

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Maybe my ride is my problem.....
    Ha! I was thinking the same thing. I have access to my brother's snowmachines if I want them, but so far all of my calling has been on foot. I am planning to ski into a couple of alpine areas to call in January and hopefully will do some calling via snowmachine on the Denali Highway in March, but overall it's a foot-powered game for me. Actually, the one area I've had success is inaccessible for snowmachines (at least it is with my skill set), so getting there on foot is the only option.

That's funny AKmud. The ol' bunny boots are always on me. I guess if I look at it that way, the bunny boots have been the final mode of transport prior to getting animals.

I currently run a 96 cougar and it is pretty hard to beat! I have about 1100 buck in it! Starts and purrs like a kitten! I plan to add a gun boot to it and if I pick up a welder I might make some changes to the rack as well. Only downfall is that it is a liquid sled so I have to watch the temp some times. It will also get a set of scratchers next year. My mountain sled riding friends are generally pretty surprised at the places that this bad boy will go! The only mod on it right now is 3" bar risers, in stock form I couldn't even ride the darn thing!

I also use an Ebelrestock pack and have taken a number of other "sportier" sleds out w/ it. I will probably move to a Yamaha Nytro in the next year or so and just rock the eberlestock pack with it. I will take a small tow sled for long trips with it. My son will be 9 next year and is about to the point where he can handle the cougar on his own so it will probably be his soon. The wife will be pretty happy about that as well since it means that she will be getting a new-ish phazer (my hunting sled is actually her rig)! I also need to find a good old bravo for the middle son he pretty soon... $$$

Here is my old hunting sled. Honestly this is one of the few things I have sold that I truly miss... It did get truly AWFUL fuel mileage though!!

One of my more fun trips w/ it:

SnoCamo; I have never had a chance to shoot off the sled, this is my first season with it.
    I have shot a couple times with the .22-250 resting on the seat, but just to check my scope. The JetBoil is great, I use it alot. Might save my life, too. Or yours.

Well, off to check the sets, and skin some critters. Good luck if you gert out today, camoman.

Default Well, I was gonna say snowshoes

But the Bunny Boots hit the spot. I'd say my favorite is my 92 Indy 440GT. That is the one I got my wolf on. Have a photo somewhere of it, might try to post it if I can find it. I'll use an internal frame pack strapped into the basket, snowshoes behind it, and rifle on the side. That way I can just grab the pack and go if I want.
    More often than not I don't go far from the machine, but I keep thinking I ought to. Don't know why really.
    You guys have some good ideas.
    ARR

Default My old ride

Attachment 42910I have an old 440 Indy. It is on the 3rd windshield, and the 2nd seat and cowling. I have the gun boot on an easy disconnect. I have a newer Mountain Cat, but this machine just keeps going and going...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2000 WideTrak.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	42912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A tundra.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	42911

Here's my 2000 Widetrack that I'll be using this winter, or sell......I dunno just yet. Once you run around on a small tundra through the woods......it's hard to ever go back to the big Widetrak LX......especially when you give up hauling "Big Cargo"

The transfer case makes good work of tight woods though, and I've taken it through the woods quite a bit when in Low gear.

The 20 inch track makes a big difference in the powder too.

I havent run it too much this season, because my son's tundra is just such a dmn good little sled.......I just hitch a ride from that young buck. I'm all about the solid utility machines with the low torque and clutches set up for slow grunt and tight woods.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Attachment 42910I have an old 440 Indy. It is on the 3rd windshield, and the 2nd seat and cowling. I have the gun boot on an easy disconnect. I have a newer Mountain Cat, but this machine just keeps going and going...
    They need to bring back the 440 and the 340 polaris engines again, they were both excellent on gas, and bullet-proof. I'd like to see some fuel-sipping smaller displacement motors again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JAG's.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	42914
    2010 Skidoo Summit 600 E-Tec, 146x16 track; extra fuel, snowshoes and pack. Rifle rides on my back.

Dang Jag, that is a good looking setup!!

Thanks LuJon. Went in to buy one of the new Tundra's, but my wonderful wife taklked me into a sled to also ride with the boys. I commonly refer to it is as my Tundroid!

So...
    how far do you guys set up away from your machines? Do you cover your machines? I throw a painters drop cloth and a few branches over mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast