Thread: DB 232/202 West Ugak advice

Default DB 232/202 West Ugak advice

Starting to think about next spring. Anyone out there in forum land have any experience with this hunt area fall or spring in recent years. I will be accessing the area by boat. Also, any advice on timing this hunt. If you are restricted to one week to hunt due to work conflicts, what week would you shoot for? I know that weather can screw things up, but I can't control that.

Anyone been out there deer hunting this area earlier this fall see any bears?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Hunted DB258 this past spring..only two bears killed and mine was one. The guide in that area got the other. Both were killed in the last week of April. I shot mine on the 29th. I was there on the 20th...saw one bear on day three (passed), still alot of snow around the 500ft mark. I would take the last week in April or the first week in May if I had to do it again. I would also watch it closely and get in touch with somone on Kodiak to keep you updated on the weather starting around the 1st of April. They will know what it will be like at the end. Good luck and get ready to hunt high.

When I checked with the biologist (Larry) he said there were only 3 killed prior to the 20th on the island. when I returned on the 30th, he said mine was the 42nd killed. 3/4 of them were the week I killed mine.

Do some research on the AFG website..you can get stats there.

There will be others there...you will have to go deep in the valley and find you a great overwatch/glassing knob. Spike it and stay there and glass.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by smarion View Post
    Starting to think about next spring. Anyone out there in forum land have any experience with this hunt area fall or spring in recent years. I will be accessing the area by boat. Also, any advice on timing this hunt. If you are restricted to one week to hunt due to work conflicts, what week would you shoot for? I know that weather can screw things up, but I can't control that.

Anyone been out there deer hunting this area earlier this fall see any bears?

Thanks in advance,

Scott
    We just hunted that area in November...lots of deer and lots of bears. Charged by one coming in on our kill. Was surprised to see as many bear still wondering around, guess some never sleep so I was told. I'd take a Kodiak deer/bear hunt over any other any day. Lots of fun.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I pulled this tag for April of 18. Anyone else have any updates on the area? I found one guide that I'm making contact with as well as the biologist. We have access to a raft and kicker and have adequate camping gear from several moose excursions.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer