Thread: Jo Jan Multi Fletcher/Fletching Troubles

Default Jo Jan Multi Fletcher/Fletching Troubles

I'm using a 6 place Jo Jan multi fletcher to prep some beman ICS hunters and having troubles getting the middle 2 fletchings commensurate with the outside 4. All 6 clamps are the same offset/helical and I've also tried using straight clamps and I get the same results from the middle two positions. The middle two clamps will seat but will not provide enough stability to properly hold fletchings in place for adhesive to dry properly. I've tried applying tape to inside of each clamp to eliminate the clamp from sliding down over the fletching. I've tried using top weight (books) to push clamps down onto fletching and to ensure constant contact between fletching, glue, and arrow. I've tried switching different types of adhesive from Bohning glue, Fletch tite, fletch tape and I just can't seem to get the right bond that I prefer. After I've completed a row of 6 arrows, I will let stand for at least 48 hours and provide a gentle pinch-pull test on the fletching and most will not adhere to the arrow. I also want to add that I lightly sand down the arrow with fine grit sand paper to ensure no remnants are interfering with the glue's adhesion and then will clean them off with alcohol and let dry prior to adding the first fletching.

Any suggestions from those who fletch their own arrows or those using a Jo Jan multi fletcher?

Thanks!

Bgarcher

I have a JoJan and use it often. However, it's nowhere near as good as my Bitzenburger. My trick for the clamps on the Jo Jan is to apply the glue and then pull the vane down just a little out of the clamp. Then I apply the vane to the arrow while slightly squeezing the clamp open. This will push the vane up into the clamp just the right amount after it contacts the arrow. A good vane will not need much if any pressure on it to get it to bond.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I have a JoJan and use it often. However, it's nowhere near as good as my Bitzenburger. My trick for the clamps on the Jo Jan is to apply the glue and then pull the vane down just a little out of the clamp. Then I apply the vane to the arrow while slightly squeezing the clamp open. This will push the vane up into the clamp just the right amount after it contacts the arrow. A good vane will not need much if any pressure on it to get it to bond.
    Thanks AKDoug!

I will give it a shot and see how they turn out. I did place a small strip of tape on the inside of each clamp to provide some resistance on the vane and to keep it from moving too much during application. This next time, I will try your method and may also strip the tape away and try again.

Thanks for the suggestion!

buddy had to do some machine work to his to get them all to lay properly. And then once you figure out what clamp goes in what slot, number them and never change!

I prefer the bitz..but have really come to like the BPE Pro's...cheaper then a bitz and just as good if not better!!

I recently started using the multi fletcher after years with my blitz. The blitz is far better in my opinion but I always got impatient and would start putting the next feather/vane on too soon. The mulit fletcher seemed like the perfect remedy, but I think it took me longer to get everything set up correctly then it would have to just use the blitz. Now that it is set up, I really like the jig but agree that marking the clamps with their spot, as well as scratching proper positions on both the nock and shaft holders is very important. It seems that a little bump from storing/moving can throw things off a little, so a few little set marks helps a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_h View Post
    I recently started using the multi fletcher after years with my blitz. The blitz is far better in my opinion but I always got impatient and would start putting the next feather/vane on too soon. The mulit fletcher seemed like the perfect remedy, but I think it took me longer to get everything set up correctly then it would have to just use the blitz. Now that it is set up, I really like the jig but agree that marking the clamps with their spot, as well as scratching proper positions on both the nock and shaft holders is very important. It seems that a little bump from storing/moving can throw things off a little, so a few little set marks helps a lot.
    Thanks Trad and Don.

I have marked all of my clamps for consistent vane placement as well as numbering each clamp to try and maintain the same pattern from one arrow to the next. I just need to find a method to ensure I have 100% contact between vane, adhesive, and arrow to provide the most ideal drying pattern and to eliminate the vanes from pulling away/falling off the arrow after 48 hours of drying time.

All above is good advice. I usually use Arizona fletchers but on accasion pull out the Jo-Jan single or 6.

One thing you might try is Bohning Fletching Tape rather than glue on your carbons. it's very easy to use and the arrow is ready to shoot instantly. Generally I use fletching tape when I'm fletching feathers or vane on on carbons, and Fletch Tite Platinum for either on alums...

[QUOTE= One thing you might try is Bohning Fletching Tape rather than glue on your carbons. [/QUOTE]

Thanks ND. I will try a couple of arrows with Fletch tape and see how they turn out. Thus far, I haven't had any consistency with glue.