Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tred Barta show

Default Tred Barta show

Probably wrong place to post but anyhow I was watching his show tonight and I did not know he suffered spinal paralyisis (sp). He is now in a wheel chair but still giving it hell hunting. Really makes one think how ones life can change overnight. He is one of the few keeping it real. I used enjoy watching Michael Wadell (sp) but he has gotten to commercialized. So for those of you out there who are your favorite writers/hunting shows. Craig Boddington has grown on me. Layne Simpson is another good one. As far as shows very few I like Jim shockey I like watching. I do not like all the whitetail hunting shows. I enjoy the shows when they are in Alaska those are pretty good.

I hear you on the whitetails! I love hunting the things and have shot a bundle, but God help me if I have to watch someone else hunt them!!!! The ONLY thing worse is turkey hunting!!!!

For TV shows: Jim Shockey Hunting Adventures, The Profesionals, Tracks Across Africa, Under Wild Skies, Dangerous Game, North to Alaska, Magnum TV.

For Magazines: African Hunting Gazette, Sports Afield, African Hunter, Dangerous Game, Safari, American Hunter.

Books: Maneaters of Kumaon, Hunter, Green Hills of Africa, Horn of the Hunter, Some Lions I Have Known, The Hunting Imperative.

DVDs: Mountain Buffalo, Boddington on Elephant, Boddington on Buffalo, Boddington on Leopard, (soon to be) Boddington on Lion, Ruark on Safari.

Brett

Alaska Outdoor Television will be on the Outdoor Channel by the end of the month.

Oh yeah the turkey hunting shows kill me. The only mag I read is hunting cause I have a subscription to it.

...since I'm old and laid off and no one will hire an old know- it- all I keep the tv on to a hunting channel pretty much 8-10hrs a day even if I'm not watching it.

Mostly I try to catch the sheep, goat, and moose hunts when they are on. There are about 6 shows I tape regular to watch/rewatch, anything Mike Waddoo aint one of them; the guy is like the plague or the Bill Klinton family... he just wont go away. Tred Barta, the Eastman family, Bob Foulkrod, and a very very few more of the older guys have the best shows bar none, and they seem to make a concerned effort to 'keep it real' as you say.

A lot of what I see now is new people that I never heard of with shows that look like 'home movies' and as a group they seem to be semi-illiterate knobs. Also I just HATE the ones that make hunting a team sport or team GAME...team this, and team that, team my @ss . Most of the 'teams' are whitetail treesitters that never go 'in to' the woods and cant find their downed game when they do. The repetitous and totally boring and endless turkey hunts and whitetail shoots on TX ranches anger me also. Or the ones of guided hunts where the guide says theres an elk let me get your shooting stix ok now wait til the elk stands there for ten mins then Ill tell you when to shoot, ok now squeeze the trigger. The very day I need to have a 'guide' babysit me and carry my rifle and and change my diapers and tell me when to shoot is the day they'll put flowers on top of me.

I realize most of the big time show producers are millionaires( Shockey amongst them) but they do put out a good sane watchable product. The rest are idiots I just have no words for...

Thank you all for the chance to rant.
    svenska50@hotmail.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Captain Tred Barta ia a far better fisherman than he is a hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Probably wrong place to post but anyhow I was watching his show tonight and I did not know he suffered spinal paralyisis (sp). He is now in a wheel chair but still giving it hell hunting. Really makes one think how ones life can change overnight. He is one of the few keeping it real. I used enjoy watching Michael Wadell (sp) but he has gotten to commercialized. So for those of you out there who are your favorite writers/hunting shows. Craig Boddington has grown on me. Layne Simpson is another good one. As far as shows very few I like Jim shockey I like watching. I do not like all the whitetail hunting shows. I enjoy the shows when they are in Alaska those are pretty good.
    This was a topic of conversation here long ago when it first happened. Ya, hats off to Tred! He's not quitting any time soon.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Talking Alaska Outdoors TV_Outdoor Channel Dec 31

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertip-CO View Post
    ...since I'm old and laid off and no one will hire an old know- it- all I keep the tv on to a hunting channel pretty much 8-10hrs a day even if I'm not watching it.

Mostly I try to catch the sheep, goat, and moose hunts when they are on. There are about 6 shows I tape regular to watch/rewatch, anything Mike Waddoo aint one of them; the guy is like the plague or the Bill Klinton family... he just wont go away. Tred Barta, the Eastman family, Bob Foulkrod, and a very very few more of the older guys have the best shows bar none, and they seem to make a concerned effort to 'keep it real' as you say.

A lot of what I see now is new people that I never heard of with shows that look like 'home movies' and as a group they seem to be semi-illiterate knobs. Also I just HATE the ones that make hunting a team sport or team GAME...team this, and team that, team my @ss . Most of the 'teams' are whitetail treesitters that never go 'in to' the woods and cant find their downed game when they do. The repetitous and totally boring and endless turkey hunts and whitetail shoots on TX ranches anger me also. Or the ones of guided hunts where the guide says theres an elk let me get your shooting stix ok now wait til the elk stands there for ten mins then Ill tell you when to shoot, ok now squeeze the trigger. The very day I need to have a 'guide' babysit me and carry my rifle and and change my diapers and tell me when to shoot is the day they'll put flowers on top of me.

I realize most of the big time show producers are millionaires( Shockey amongst them) but they do put out a good sane watchable product. The rest are idiots I just have no words for...

Thank you all for the chance to rant.
    Silvertip-co! I think you and I would get along real nice :-) Well played. Couldn't agree more. Catch our show Alaska Outdoors Television starting on the Outdoor Channel Dec 31 and runs through June 2011. Its strictly DIY self-guided and we even show you when we DON'T get the big one, just like it happens in 'real' life. Watch a few episodes and let us know what you think, like or dislike. We're always tweaking it.

AS far as I know, it's the ONLY broadcast produced self-guided DIY Alaskan hunting fishing show as of now. Love Larry, but he is guided and hauled around.

@Gerberman, THANKS for having our back, can't believe Brett Adam Barringer picked North to Alaska over us, that hurts Maybe he lives out of state and doesn't get the show yet...well, ok, I forgive.

I have to pretty much agree with all said, so far. My BIGGEST complaint with outdoor shows is the backround music. In a lot of shows it has become louder than the dialog, which SUCKS. Either that or my hearing is still deteroriating(sp). Shockey's "The Professionals" is the worst offender in this regard (for me). Something that ties in with this is the "wispering" the hunter does AFTER the game is downed -***?
    Tred - good shows - glad he has the $$$ to continue doing what he loves. If it was me, I'd be stuck in the chair watching tv for the rest of my life.
    Larry C - he's got to have the WORST fly rod appitude of anyone on any sporting show I've ever seen.
    Probably why he fishes in AK; he "flips" ok. He is a **** good shot, though.
    Shockey - personable, funny & loves to hunt.
    Tony Makris - good show (Under Wild Skies), but Tony seems like a bit of a "pouff", dresses as nice a Sarah does on a hunt.
    Needless to say, the above is JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I have to pretty much agree with all said, so far. My BIGGEST complaint with outdoor shows is the backround music. In a lot of shows it has become louder than the dialog, which SUCKS. Either that or my hearing is still deteroriating(sp). Shockey's "The Professionals" is the worst offender in this regard (for me). Something that ties in with this is the "wispering" the hunter does AFTER the game is downed -***?
    Tred - good shows - glad he has the $$$ to continue doing what he loves. If it was me, I'd be stuck in the chair watching tv for the rest of my life.
    Larry C - he's got to have the WORST fly rod appitude of anyone on any sporting show I've ever seen.
    Probably why he fishes in AK; he "flips" ok. He is a **** good shot, though.
    Shockey - personable, funny & loves to hunt.
    Tony Makris - good show (Under Wild Skies), but Tony seems like a bit of a "pouff", dresses as nice a Sarah does on a hunt.
    Needless to say, the above is JMO.
    The only reason I would continue to show our guys whispering on camera after game down is if other game was still available to another shooter. AS I did in our recent Dall Sheep episode. Two common issues w/music, a poor audio mix and simply not liking the music, which is a tough one.

I've grown tired of the whitetail shows as well. I hate seeing some lard roll outta bed, ride a 4-wheeler to his stand, sit and wait for a buck, make a good shot, then breathlessly exclaim what a tuff hunt it is. I also, in my excitement, sometimes raise my weapon over my head but one show goes too far and is waaay to contrived. I'm tired of the drawl. I'm not a fan of the old man's son telling me 'this is the best I've seen...blah, blah,blah".
    I like seeing a hard, hard hunt. Walking, horses, mountains, misses, tracking, cold, wind, no game, above all effort. I do like the trend towards goodlooking female hosts!

I like Tred also. But I kinda like this new kid Benny Spies. Just a good olboy hunting his local area (South Dakota) keeping it "real".

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    can't believe Brett Adam Barringer picked North to Alaska over us, that hurts Maybe he lives out of state and doesn't get the show yet...well, ok, I forgive.
    "My name is Brett Barringer and I have a problem. I've never seen Alaska Outdoors TV!" Yep. I'm going to set the DVR and make a point to watch. Sorry for the diss.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    He really does get "done up"! That said I think he mentioned once on a show he's had some run ins with melanoma, so he covers head to toe. Anyone that hunts with double rifles has to be half way alright, but that said I've NEVER seen someone botch soooo many shots on a show. After a while the excuses get pretty lame. Great settings and great game, so I keep tuning in every week.

Brett

I can't believe you guys haven't listed the "big buck down" girl (can't remember her name) as one you like to watch! Should tell you something in that I don't remember her name. I think her husband is a sharp hunter and land manager, but......

Tred is still shooting a recurve from a wheelchair, and that's gotaa be tough. I haven't shot a recurve in many many years, and shoot a compound. Give him props for sticking with his passion and not giving up and going to a compound.

...oh heck as long as I'm rantin I ask this...why is every big game animal on tv killed at the last hour of the last day of the season??? I mean sure this can and does happen to us all, but I guarandangtee you that if you surveyed every tv hunting show 95% of them say "...in the last hour of the last day of our hunt this 379pt mulie ( or whatever) walked out and we got im we got im we got im! " And then the manhugs begin .

Good grief dont guys just shake hands any more. I mean I'd hug my kids if they scored but I aint huggin some guy that weighs more than his game animal does. Oh yeah, I'd prob have to hug my lovely wife too. But I aint huggin TBone.

A guy once told me "even Fox News is a tv S.H.O.W. and dont forget that" and tv is entertainment and rarely depicts real life. If you want 'real life' then just watch Primer Impacto News at 4pm mtn time on Univison (the thong channel) and see the news that shows like NBC news and Brian Williams et al dont even mention. Now thats's REAL...
    svenska50@hotmail.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER

HuntKodiak got my show - I was trying to look up another hunting couple but couldn't find them - Lee and TIFFANY (CRUSH) - kinda dingy but like watching her say BIG BUCK DOWN!! Arher's Choice is a good show too, they do more than just the whitetail hunting. I was just talking about this the other day how I hated watching hunting and fishing shows when i was a kid because it was always whitetail and bass. Growing up in Oregon, didnt care about either. Now that i started whitetail hunting after being stationed in Michigan, thats about all i want to do and get a chance to do. I have to fly out of AK to get something. Totally off subject now, always have liked watching Ted, glad to see him still doing it - Then there is the other TED, like his crazy shows too.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    "My name is Brett Barringer and I have a problem. I've never seen Alaska Outdoors TV!" Yep. I'm going to set the DVR and make a point to watch. Sorry for the diss.

Brett

HAHA! No worries Brett...I was razing ya as you already know. Ya, set the DVR, we'll be replaying season one and two along with new episodes from season 3 every Saturday until the cows come home. Also Outdoor Channel Fri/Sat starting Dec 31 through June. The shows still a work in progress but we're getting there. Nothing is 'faked' in this show, its as real as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    I've grown tired of the whitetail shows as well. I hate seeing some lard roll outta bed, ride a 4-wheeler to his stand, sit and wait for a buck, make a good shot, then breathlessly exclaim what a tuff hunt it is. I also, in my excitement, sometimes raise my weapon over my head but one show goes too far and is waaay to contrived. I'm tired of the drawl. I'm not a fan of the old man's son telling me 'this is the best I've seen...blah, blah,blah".
    I like seeing a hard, hard hunt. Walking, horses, mountains, misses, tracking, cold, wind, no game, above all effort. I do like the trend towards goodlooking female hosts!
    I get a laugh out of the shows where some guy or gal is sitting in a heated tree fort deciding to shoot or not on a buck whos g2 two tines are just not long enough.I wonder how tall those fences are around the game farms?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertip-CO View Post
    ...oh heck as long as I'm rantin I ask this...why is every big game animal on tv killed at the last hour of the last day of the season??? I mean sure this can and does happen to us all, but I guarandangtee you that if you surveyed every tv hunting show 95% of them say "...in the last hour of the last day of our hunt this 379pt mulie ( or whatever) walked out and we got im we got im we got im! " And then the manhugs begin . ...
    Well, part of the reason is - they are only hunting a location for 2 or 3 days - sure brings on "the last day" syndrome fast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast