Thread: YAKTRAX walking devices

Default YAKTRAX walking devices

Anybody use YAKTRAX walking devices? My Grandpa has a real hard time walking on ice and snow anymore and I thought these might be of good use to him. I know the firefighters around here use them in the winter. Not sure how the sizing works...they have a chart on the back of the package, but I am not sure if it is for shoe or boot sizes. Anybody that can speak against them? Any reason why and young guy that's been walking this earth for 89 years might like/not like them? Here's their link http://yaktrax.com/productswalker.aspx

Thanks, Joshua

I use them at work (Fire Dept) and I also know people who use them for jogging in the winter time. They keep you off your butt!!

Default thanks, one more ?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    I use them at work (Fire Dept) and I also know people who use them for jogging in the winter time. They keep you off your butt!!
    Good to know! I've heard you can't use them on flat surfaces because they will slide like ice skates or damage the floor. I can understand tile and I imagine they would leave a nasty imprint on linolium type floors. I am concerned about concrete and carpet, as he has painted garage floor, but has got carpet runners everywhere he needs to get to.

There is another brand called "stabilicers" they work very well. The best on the market. JMO

Default Yacktrax

They are great. I use them everyday. My hard rubber boot sole gets very little traction. They have saved me many times...

Default great gear

use them to run with and on my new military boots dailey on packed snow and ice. They work great and grip well. Will slip on slick ice though. Better when there is a little snow or packed snow.
    On the carpet there is no problem as I wear them when I run into the house. Be careful on the concrete though, if it is really smooth they will slip and slide.

Stabilicers are better, but also much more expensive (about $50-60). I used Yaktrax for a while (all day every day at work), they worked great but my vibram soled boots kept cutting the rubber strands where they wrapped around the sides of the soles. They should work great for your grandpa though. My work finally dropped the $$ for stabilicers department wide.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I wear a pair of medium heavy duty on my work boots and they work great. I have to remember to take them off when walking into a building with hard tile as they don't get great traction there, but they are good on ice as long as it's not a steep slope.
    Chris Willhoite

Thumbs up Done deal!

Thanks for the info guys. I can understand your criticisms based on wear and tear, but just because Gramps walks most the day, it doesn't mean he goes very far! ;-) Talked to him today and he "is tired of looking at the walls!" I dropped a pair in the mail for him this afternoon. Also got me a pair for running...we'll see.

Thank you, Joshua

Thumbs up Reporting back

Hey guys, just thought I'd share my experience with these. I have been running in them for the last 2 or 3 weeks and they have served me very well. Absolute amazing product! I have run in everything from slush on gravel to glare ice on pavement (city was shut down due to rain and freezing temps leaving a city-wide icerink of a mess) and they haven't missed a beat. Worked well on coarse concrete, but DO NOT try to walk on painted concrete or any type of vinyl or tile flooring...you will go skating! They never fell off or came loose. Worrying about twisting my knee again kept me from running outdoors in the winter for the last few years, I now have complete confidence and can run worry free!

Alright, I am starting sound like a commercial, so I will stop.
    I have nothing vested in this company.
    http://yaktrax.com/productspro.aspx

buck

I wear them almost daily, but really pay attention to the comments about NOT wearing them on floor tiles, like in a grocery store! VERY slick on these floors! But that said, in the ice they work great. In deeper snow they can come off your boots, over a foot of snow. Don't worry about the size, just follow the chart on the box, mine fit all my shoes and boots. They do wear out after a while, but it's worth it to be on your feet and not laying on the ground. They definitely work.

Default +1 for Stabilicers... other thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Stabilicers are better, but also much more expensive (about $50-60). I used Yaktrax for a while (all day every day at work), they worked great but my vibram soled boots kept cutting the rubber strands where they wrapped around the sides of the soles. They should work great for your grandpa though. My work finally dropped the $$ for stabilicers department wide.
    Stabilicers work well and very durable. Removable when not needed. Excellent product.

DIY: My wife asked a couple years back - so I mounted a bunch of hex head screws on soles of an old pair of running shoes, keeping the screws short. She was tickled with them on ice for neighborhood walks for several years until last year the screws started to poke through.

Ice Bugs: Found a pair of these at a running store last year, end of season. Terrific. Studded tires for your feet: http://www.garmontusa.com/icebug.html. Best shoe for winter running too.

Better prices here:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_7m41b43n7t_b

Yaktrax work for icy streets etc, Kahtoola microspikes are better for moderate steep icy hills etc. before you need crampons. Yaktrax is advertising a new model to compete with the K. microspikes. There are products to fit your needs thankfully.