Thread: XC BC Touring skis:

Default XC BC Touring skis:

Anyone here able to comment on the differences between the Madshus Trolltind and the Glittertind skis? I am 6'2", 215 lbs, and am tossing between the two for bc touring on moderate, rolling terrain.

Will occasionally be using a pulk, but also would like them to be trail friendly for around town.
    Trolltind: 81-63-73
    Glittertind: 68-55-62

And the one thing I am not planning on doing with them is lifting a heel on the steep and deep.

yeah, I know, I want my cake......

I'm using the slightly narrower Voss. I'm heavier than you but have no issues even pulling a light pulk. I checked out the Glitterind but they were too wide for groomed trails and seemed harder for me to turn. The Voss seemed just right on packed snow conditions in the Interior but SC snow may be different. I've only been out a couple of times where I felt I needed more float.

I'm going to try some BC touring this year as well and may think of wider skis if I'm pulling a heavy pulk but I'm going to try it out first with the Voss.

Thanks for the reply!

In general, the snow here is heavier, and therefor should load better. But our storm last night produced some very dry fluffy snow, so go figure....

In particular, I am thinking of touring down on the Kenai around February or so. As far as trails, I tend to gravitate more towards the ungroomed ones around here, as they are less crowded and more accepting of my trash skiing and black lab pulk puller.

I literally toss each day between the two. The Glittertind is a nice ski, but I can also get the Trolltind (discontinued) for the same price. I will be using 3 pin/ cable bindings, if that adds anything to the discussion.

Waiting for my wife to get back home, and then we will head out on our classics to enjoy this nice snow!

hodgeman, what length are using? As you go to a wider ski, how much length can a person cut?

I have no experience with either ski, but the glittertind is highly reccomended on the telemark tips site as an excellent touring ski with good turning abilities. The trolltind seems to be leaning more towards the turning. If my old Karhu xcd's would ever wear out I would lean towards the glittertinds. You can do a search on www.telemarktips.com

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJake View Post
    hodgeman, what length are using? As you go to a wider ski, how much length can a person cut?
    I'm using 210s... I'm not sure how much length I would cut going to a wider ski.

I found some Glittertinds for a great price. Going to go that route....... I think.